Assange seeks asylum in Ecuador
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:14:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Assange seeks asylum in Ecuador
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: Assange seeks asylum in Ecuador  (Read 23830 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2012, 11:22:03 AM »

Assange to speak from Ecuador embassy in row over his fate

Apparently he will speak from a little balcony so as not to be batoned by the bobbies.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2012, 11:35:02 AM »

Assange's speech from the Balcony!
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2012, 11:44:49 AM »

Apparently he will speak from a little balcony so as not to be batoned by the bobbies.

It's no surprise he'll be speaking from a balcony rather than inside the embassy.  He likely wants to be heckled as it plays into his martyred-messiah complex.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2012, 12:00:17 PM »

It's no surprise he'll be speaking from a balcony rather than inside the embassy.  He likely wants to be heckled as it plays into his martyred-messiah complex.

Dude, you're just being silly.  Have you no sense of theater?  It is an amazing bit of luck for someone like him to have any platform to speak at all, and no doubt he'll disappear soon.  Of course he's going to make the most of it.  'Assange from the balcony' will be remembered long after nobody knows where he is.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2012, 12:15:03 PM »

Dude, you're just being silly.  Have you no sense of theater?  It is an amazing bit of luck for someone like him to have any platform to speak at all, and no doubt he'll disappear soon.  Of course he's going to make the most of it.  'Assange from the balcony' will be remembered long after nobody knows where he is.

Nah, we'll know where he will be.  The Ecuadorian embassy.  He ain't leaving there for years to come now.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2012, 12:29:55 PM »

Nah, we'll know where he will be.  The Ecuadorian embassy.  He ain't leaving there for years to come now.

Really?  I don't know the history of such cases, but is there a history of people managing to stay in such places for years on end?  The embassy there is I hear rather small, and after all the US may overthrow Rafael Correa at any moment.  I doubt he's prospects there are truly long-term.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2012, 04:36:10 PM »

If Assange were sent to the US by Sweden (which is less likely than from the UK), I somehow doubt he'd be executed - a lot of people did even more damage than he did and only got life sentences.

Still, him being thrown in jail for life would be horrible.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2012, 05:22:34 PM »

Really?  I don't know the history of such cases, but is there a history of people managing to stay in such places for years on end?  The embassy there is I hear rather small, and after all the US may overthrow Rafael Correa at any moment.  I doubt he's prospects there are truly long-term.

The most extreme case I know of was a Catholic priest in Hungary who spoke out against communism during the Cold War, and then ended up hiding out in the US embassy for 15 years(!).
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2012, 05:24:05 PM »

I have far more an issue with Bradley Manning then with Assange... Assange is a rogue, Manning is a traitor....
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2012, 05:58:33 PM »

If Assange were sent to the US by Sweden (which is less likely than from the UK), I somehow doubt he'd be executed - a lot of people did even more damage than he did and only got life sentences.

Still, him being thrown in jail for life would be horrible.

Not so much, considering the whole 'fled rape charges' thing.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2012, 06:02:39 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2012, 06:04:14 PM by Free Palestine »

I have far more an issue with Bradley Manning then with Assange... Assange is a rogue, Manning is a traitor....

Truth is treason in the empire of lies.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2012, 06:27:07 PM »

What a pathetic little man; pressure needs to be applied to Ecuador quickly to force them to hand over this disgusting piece of slime.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2012, 06:35:50 PM »

it's great to see that for the first time since the fall of the USSR we have a functioning counter-power bloc in world geopolitics, no matter how weak or flimsy it may be.  viva Castro, viva Chavez, viva Correa, viva Morales.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2012, 06:37:33 PM »

it's great to see that for the first time since the fall of the USSR we have a functioning counter-power bloc in world geopolitics, no matter how weak or flimsy it may be.  viva Castro, viva Chavez, viva Correa, viva Morales.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2012, 06:48:58 PM »

That actually is in some ways a quite good thing, but it still pisses me off in this particular case.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2012, 07:21:05 PM »

Both the Castro brothers as well as Hugo Chavez already have one foot in the grave, so this 'counterpower bloc' as you call it won't last long. 
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2012, 09:08:59 PM »

Both the Castro brothers as well as Hugo Chavez already have one foot in the grave, so this 'counterpower bloc' as you call it won't last long. 
Venezuela will elect a new and improved anti-american FF if the elections are free and fair.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2012, 09:50:49 PM »

Yup, exactly. And the fact that they so viscerally anger the usual suspects means they must be doing something right.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2012, 10:34:50 PM »

What a pathetic little man; pressure needs to be applied to Ecuador quickly to force them to hand over this disgusting piece of slime.

Is the same thing true every time a Russian or Chinese dissident flees to a foreign embassy, or does the west get to pick or choose when to follow international laws?

Britain's threat to storm the embassy means it's no longer about Assange or Wikileaks or so-called "sex crimes" in Sweden. It's a contravention of international law and puts Britain on the same level of Iran or Khmer Rouge Cambodia.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2012, 10:40:28 PM »

I like how the usual suspects have been claiming he will disappear soon for the past 2+ years.  You people have a weird definition for "soon".
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2012, 10:41:18 PM »

There's a big difference between a dissident fleeing an oppressive country and this terrorist.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2012, 10:42:02 PM »

Well obviously it'll be much more difficult to disappear the man while he's under the protection of governments that actually respect international law. How long that protection will last is the question.

There's a big difference between a dissident fleeing an oppressive country and this terrorist.

lol joke poster
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2012, 11:16:24 PM »

Lolno
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2012, 11:41:45 PM »

Whatever one thinks of Assange and his actions, he and Ecuador have won a huge PR coup. Unasur (which by the way includes right-wing governments) has issued a statement that any attack on the embassy will be seen as hostile.

And if I were the CEO of BP I'd be sh**tting bricks over this affair. If the embassy is attacked it would be a perfectly legal justification for Correa to seize my assets in Ecuador. I'd be angrily calling Number 10 to demand Cameron to cool down.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2012, 12:38:47 AM »

Have you thought through the implications of this?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies