Atlasia vs. The Imperial Dominion of the South (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:26:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Atlasia vs. The Imperial Dominion of the South (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Atlasia vs. The Imperial Dominion of the South  (Read 3740 times)
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« on: June 19, 2012, 08:20:14 PM »
« edited: June 20, 2012, 06:20:04 PM by Fuzzybigfoot »

The Office of the Attorney General is officially charging the Imperial South with:

"Breaking Second Clause of Section 7, Article 1 of Atlasia's third constitution by creating a regional curency (the "Dibble") under the Second Section of the Trojan Act."  

Let it begin.  
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 09:00:04 PM »

The alleged violation, the second section of the Trojan Act:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 06:20:15 PM »

Members of the court and Attorney General, I ask that the case be re-named Atlasia vs. The Imperial Dominion of the South.

Please and thanks Smiley

Done.  Smiley
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 10:40:07 PM »

Ladies and gents, the IDS would like you to believe that the Dibble is not a currency, but infact a separate unit of barter.  This, however, is not the case in reality.  The IDS has been distributing Dibbles for months, in exchange for regular Atlasian dollars.  They've even allowed third parties to pay for government services in Dibbles instead of Atlasian dollars.  Thus, they give their own Dibbles value, which, again, are used in the private sector.  This means that the Dibble becomes representational of the South's economy, kind of like how the Atlasian currency represents the country's economy as a whole. 

My counterpart, though respectable  Wink, may argue that since the Dibble wasn't manufactured by the IDS government itself, and thus the South isn't responsible for whatever affect it has on whatever.   However, you must take into account that the South ordered for these Dibbles to be created and distributed, which means that the previous argument is mute.

Your honors, you only need to look at the basics to see that the Dibble is obviously a currency.  I would like yield the floor to my friend Jbrase, and later a Q and A if that is possible please.  Smiley  Thank you. 
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 12:48:49 AM »

I now welcome any questions from the Honorable Justices.

As do I.  Smiley
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 07:53:58 PM »

However, you must take into account that the South ordered for these Dibbles to be created and distributed, which means that the previous argument is mute.

Do you have a link to support this claim?

Although the bill says that the Dibbles are distributed by a private company, they are also exchanged at the capitol buildings in the IDS, which is also a way of distribution.  On terms of creation, the Dibble did not exist until this bill was signed into law.  Therefore, demand for the Dibble must have come from the IDS itself.  
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 12:39:14 AM »

However, you must take into account that the South ordered for these Dibbles to be created and distributed, which means that the previous argument is mute.

Do you have a link to support this claim?

Although the bill says that the Dibbles are distributed by a private company, they are also exchanged at the capitol buildings in the IDS, which is also a way of distribution.  On terms of creation, the Dibble did not exist until this bill was signed into law.  Therefore, demand for the Dibble must have come from the IDS itself. 

So prior to that law, the currency did not exist?

It appears it did not, unless someone can prove otherwise.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 01:15:16 AM »

Burden of proof is on the accuser, proof it didn't exist before Tongue

Just because we decided to accept the dibbles from the time the law was passed, that doesn't mean the people who make them didn't produce them on a smaller scale before.

Well there isn't anything to prove it existed before, so....
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 03:23:37 PM »

...To be legal tender it must be something that is offered as payment of debt that, and this is key, must be accepted by creditors. Bingo, right there. Must. Be. Accepted. Not one person, not one business, not one entity on Nym90's green Earth is forced by law to accept dibbles as payment for debt or as money. Not even the IDS Government has to accept them, we can still refuse them and demand real Atlasian money.

I would like to know if there are any departments or local divisions of the IDS government which do in fact refuse to accept 'The Dibble' as payment?  If there were this would certainly belie the impression that it is IDS policy to establish 'The Dibble' as a currency. 

Here's a quote from section 2, clause A:

As you can see, they only said that individuals and private businesses could refuse to accept Dibbles.  They never said that the regional government could too. 
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 08:04:24 PM »

must be accepted by creditors. Bingo, right there. Must. Be. Accepted. Not one person, not one business, not one entity on Nym90's green Earth is forced by law to accept dibbles as payment for debt or as money.

A currency doesn't have to be generally accepted by all creditors, though. There are many creditors in Canada, England, Germany, France, Spain, and Russia.  Do they have to accept our cash?  Those who trade with the currency define it.  If a currency was something that would have to be broadly accepted by everyone and everything (like you imply), we would only have one in the world.  And we don't.  The people in the south who accept the Dibble as payment define its economic strength.  Therefore, it functions as a currency to the parties that use it, including your regional government. 

And since when were people forced to accept money as payment?  It would be unwise not to use regular money, but it's not illegal.  Someone could simply accept chessnuts as payment, if they wanted to.  You keep trying to debunk this charge by implying that a currency has to be be accepted, therefore exempting your Dibble (which doesn't have to be accepted by anyone, supposedly) from being defined as a medium of exchange.  But I stress again, that doesn't matter, because a currency obviously doesn't have to be taken by everyone.   

Not even the IDS Government has to accept them, we can still refuse them and demand real Atlasian money.

Again, the bill only exempted private citizens and businesses from "having" to accept the Dibble.  It never said anything about the regional government.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 06:34:22 PM »

If it is not illegal to accept "chessnuts" as payment, why should it be illegal to accept the privately produced Dibble?

Well we're making the case that it isn't privately produced.  Wink
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 07:16:35 PM »

If it is not illegal to accept "chessnuts" as payment, why should it be illegal to accept the privately produced Dibble?

Well we're making the case that it isn't privately produced.  Wink

Then I guess the very definition of the word "private" (in terms of public vs private) is at stake here. Tongue

Even though a private company manufactured them, you ordered for them to make the Dibbles.  So they were, in fact, created by you.  Tongue
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 12:37:50 AM »
« Edited: June 27, 2012, 12:48:01 AM by Fuzzybigfoot »

Closing statements by Attorney General Fuzzybigfoot (written by phone):

Ladies and gentlemen,

Despite the honorable Jbrase may say, the Dibble is indeed a currency.  And the IDS must answer for this crime.

Time and time again, the defense has displayed a complete disregard for the law.  Time and time again, they have misrepresented the purpose and intent of their own legislation on this very thread.  The Dibble is indeed theirs; the evidence (which has been provided by, the way) shows that they assigned it wealth, they were responsible for its creation, and I hope, today, the honorable justices will strike it down in the name of justice.

My fellow citizens, please take note of the defense's summary of myself, the prosecution.  They say I am a happy man, they say I will be gloating if the honorable justices accept my case as valid.  I will not be happy, but I will be very relieved that I will be able to look back at my record in a few weeks, knowing that my retirement has been earned.

Thank you.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 03:49:29 AM »

lol what Al Pacino movie was that speech from again?
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 05:31:16 PM »

So..... Wink
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies