How was George Romney eligible to run for the presidency?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:17:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  How was George Romney eligible to run for the presidency?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: How was George Romney eligible to run for the presidency?  (Read 4711 times)
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2012, 08:49:30 PM »

I think his parents were American citizens.  That's partially why John McCain could run for President despite being born in Panama.

And because Panama was a U.S. territory at the time, and I think there may be an exception if your parents are in the military and you are born overseas
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2012, 11:31:36 PM »

I think his parents were American citizens.  That's partially why John McCain could run for President despite being born in Panama.

And because Panama was a U.S. territory at the time, and I think there may be an exception if your parents are in the military and you are born overseas

There's no "exception," the rule has nothing to do with whether or not you're born in the US and has to do with whether or not you were born a US citizen, and the easiest way to prove US citizenship from birth is being born in the US.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2012, 11:36:37 PM »

Actually, question for Ernest:

Birthright citizenship becomes the law of the land in 1868 through the 14th.  However, birthright citizenship was made retroactive.

Would a non-citizen born on US soil in, say, 1840, given citizenship by the 14th, be a "natural born citizen" eligible to run for President?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2012, 12:06:29 AM »

Actually, question for Ernest:

Birthright citizenship becomes the law of the land in 1868 through the 14th.  However, birthright citizenship was made retroactive.

Would a non-citizen born on US soil in, say, 1840, given citizenship by the 14th, be a "natural born citizen" eligible to run for President?

That depends.  I take a fairly narrow view of the "and subject to the jurisdiction thereof" qualifier.  In the case of a former slave or free negro, yes.  In the case of an "Indian not taxed", no.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2012, 08:52:47 AM »

I think he must have been eligible somehow because I don't know of any major legal challenges that were made to his candidacy in the '68 campaign.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies