Shortest Splitline Method
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:12:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Shortest Splitline Method
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Shortest Splitline Method  (Read 494 times)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 22, 2012, 06:03:32 PM »

Does anyone know where I could find shortest splitline maps for the immediate aftermath of the 2010 Census?
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 11:26:29 PM »

Does anyone know where I could find shortest splitline maps for the immediate aftermath of the 2010 Census?
The person who created the 2000-based maps did them as more a proof of concept, programming exercise.

When San Francisco was asking for citizen input maps for its supervisor districts there was some discussion about creating a map, but I don't think they ever actually created a usable map (the algorithm excludes zero-population blocks, but San Francisco wanted all blocks).

I know there was discussion about creating an open source tool kit, but I don't know whether that actually went anywhere.

So I think the short answer is they don't exist; but the long answer is that they might come into existence if there was enough interest or someone was willing to help (for example the necessary data has to be extracted from the Census Data.  I was able to extract the SF data using a spreadsheet, so it is no means an impossible programming effort, but perhaps not one to repeat manually 50 times).

I'd try one of the following two discussion groups.  The readership is largely overlapping, so I'd probably try one and stick to it, unless there was zero response.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RangeVoting/

Yahoo group - Range voting

The 2000 maps are in the file section of this group, and the implementation was created based on the discussion in that group.

http://groups.google.com/group/electionscience?pli=1

Google group - Center for Election Science
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies