Best President of the Jacksonian Era, and Why? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:51:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Best President of the Jacksonian Era, and Why? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which of the following Presidents of the Jacksonian era was the best?
Andrew Jackson

Martin Van Buren

William Henry Harrison

John Tyler

James Polk

Zachary Taylor

Millard Fillmore

Franklin Pierce

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Author Topic: Best President of the Jacksonian Era, and Why?  (Read 5175 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« on: June 22, 2012, 11:37:40 PM »

either Taylor or Van Buren.

I admire Zachary Taylor for his bold attempts to keep the union together and stop slavery from expanding into the West through immediate statehood (in spite of being a southerner and a slave owner himself).  If he'd been successful, perhaps the worst elements of the 1850 compromise could have been avoided. In terms of effectiveness, he's lacking because he didn't work well with Congress, and of course his untimely demise. His biggest downside may be leaving the nation with Fillmore.

I like Van Buren for his policies of economic decentralization and widespread democracy, while he wasn't as much of a hardline on the bank as Jackson and not as prone to the more vile forms of populism. Still, he shares in some of Jackson's sins when it came to Indian removal and the protection of slavery (even though he opposed slavery both in his time in New York and after he left office.) If Van Buren's record can include his post-presidency opposition to risking war by annexing Texas and his support and candidacy for Free Soil, then he looks a lot better.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 02:53:33 PM »

Taylor, if I'm not mistaken, actually opposed compromise and supported the South. These were all rather mediocre or poor presidents, but I guess I'll hold my nose and vote for Jackson.
Taylor did oppose the Compromise of 1850, but a President who supported the South wouldn't have advocated the admission of California and New Mexico as free states.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies