Best President of the Jacksonian Era, and Why? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:11:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Best President of the Jacksonian Era, and Why? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which of the following Presidents of the Jacksonian era was the best?
Andrew Jackson

Martin Van Buren

William Henry Harrison

John Tyler

James Polk

Zachary Taylor

Millard Fillmore

Franklin Pierce

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Author Topic: Best President of the Jacksonian Era, and Why?  (Read 5129 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: July 05, 2012, 10:23:20 AM »

Taylor, if I'm not mistaken, actually opposed compromise and supported the South. These were all rather mediocre or poor presidents, but I guess I'll hold my nose and vote for Jackson.

That is highly innaccurate. The man was a simple soldier first and foremost and not a politician. He saw statehood in simple terms and thus didn't understand the fuss that the South was making over CA coming into the union and freely deciding to be a free state. He thus opposed the compromise of 1850, and believed that California should be admitted as a free state since that is what CA wanted and that was that.

That really distorts Taylor's position, tho it is possible that his military background caused him think of himself as a second Alexander as he thought he had a solution to the Gordian knot of whether the territory acquired from Mexico should be free or slave.  He favored admitting the California, Utah, and New Mexico Territories as States, thereby eliminating the issue,  Frankly, none of them were ready, with California Statehood only happening because the people flooding in there because of the gold rush made it a necessity.  However, it would have been wiser had only North California been admitted.  California is too big a State, as is Texas.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 05:50:08 AM »

Utah probably would have been a free state, not because the Mormons didn't want slaves, they didn't want blacks.

New Mexico probably would have had slavery under another name, peonage.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 07:35:13 AM »

Taylor took it as axiomatic that the Federal government would never interfere in the peculiar institution in the States, so he saw Statehood for the territories as a way of ending the issue.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies