MI-Mitchell Research: Obama tied with Romney
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:35:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  MI-Mitchell Research: Obama tied with Romney
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MI-Mitchell Research: Obama tied with Romney  (Read 2968 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 21, 2012, 12:02:18 AM »

Obama leads with 47% while Romney is just 1% behind at 46% in the telephone poll of 750 likely voters in the November General Election.

The automated survey was conducted Monday June 18, 2012 before Romney started his bus tour through the state.

The poll has a Margin of Error + or – 3.58% at the 95% level of confidence. The survey was conducted by Mitchell Research for the media and was not paid for by any campaigns or committees.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/blob/view/-/15181308/data/1/-/14ggiwlz/-/Presidential-Poll.pdf
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 12:17:09 AM »

Mitchell is a very good pollster.

The nailed the 2010 governor and downballot races and also the 2008 races.

And they also had Romney winning the MI GOP primary by a hair.

Looks like MI might be really tightening.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 12:18:12 AM »

Lord have mercy...

A month ago, I would have thought Michigan to be out of reach. That is certainly not the case.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 12:52:57 AM »

Smiley Maybe this will actually turn into an interesting election.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 08:35:50 AM »

That's 3 polls now showing Michigan close....and of course PPP's garbage +14.

Spoke too soon. Make that 4 polls.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 08:38:59 AM »

McCain was doing well here as well at this point.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 09:00:49 AM »

Fools gold, it's true that McCain was polling well here at this point in 2008 and even closer to November. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statewide_opinion_polling_for_the_United_States_presidential_election,_2008#Michigan

And this poll concedes this in the memo

You must be logged in to read this quote.

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 10:32:16 AM »

Fools gold, it's true that McCain was polling well here at this point in 2008 and even closer to November. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statewide_opinion_polling_for_the_United_States_presidential_election,_2008#Michigan

And this poll concedes this in the memo

Perhaps, but I'm expecting an overall national shift of 1 to 3 points towards Romney between now and November.
Andrew1
Rookie
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 12:52:05 PM »

That's four polls that have shown a tossup in Michigan (EPIC-MRA, Foster McCollum White, We Ask America, Mitchell Research) while Rasmussen shows Obama +8. What is going on?

Those four pollsters may not be the most reliable. The EPIC-MRA polls this cycle have shown a Republican lean, and We Ask America showed a Republican lean in their Wisconsin polling.

Foster McCollum White reported their results to two decimal places!
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 03:13:44 PM »

Michigan is a state that would naturally be heavily outraged by recent obama administration moves on homosexuality and immigration.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 09:39:49 AM »

Michigan is a state that would naturally be heavily outraged by recent obama administration moves on homosexuality and immigration.

Michigan isn't particularly hostile to gay rights. The Republican state legislature is intent more on turning Michigan into a Duty-to-Starve ("Right-to-Work") state in all but name, but that can be turned around fast.  Immigration is one of the possible solutions to the state's sagging real estate values. I see no reason to believe that Michigan would be going against nationwide trends on immigration or gay rights.

I'd love to see PPP, Marist, or Quinnipiac do a poll not only on Presidential support but also on gay rights and immigration in Michigan. 
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 11:33:16 AM »

Duty to starve. That's a funny one.
GLPman
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 12:24:28 PM »

While it's only June, these poll results certainly are surprising. I fully expect Obama to win Michigan in November, but it looks like he might need to actually put some effort into winning the state.
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 12:30:35 PM »

While it's only June, these poll results certainly are surprising. I fully expect Obama to win Michigan in November, but it looks like he might need to actually put some effort into winning the state.

Two words: auto rescue
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 12:45:37 PM »

Yep. Give the 0/50 record, I agree with you. :b:
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 02:05:04 PM »

Michigan isn't particularly hostile to gay rights. The Republican state legislature is intent more on turning Michigan into a Duty-to-Starve ("Right-to-Work") state in all but name, but that can be turned around fast.  Immigration is one of the possible solutions to the state's sagging real estate values. I see no reason to believe that Michigan would be going against nationwide trends on immigration or gay rights.

I'd love to see PPP, Marist, or Quinnipiac do a poll not only on Presidential support but also on gay rights and immigration in Michigan. 

Michigan was one of the first states to rally to defend marriage, and has one of the strongest measures on the books. And who the heck is going to immigrate TO michigan?

Michigan's Macomb county is of course the prime example of Reagan Democrats, as stan Greenberg noted. Democrats fled to Reagan due to the following, which Obama has thankfully repeated.

Democratic defectors left the Democrats because they believed the party had turned away from them, prioritizing special interests, particularly unions and minorities over middle class interests.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 03:39:11 PM »

While that will help him get the dwindling numbers of UAW members and retirees, it might hurt him among people who view unionized auto workers as lazy overpaid whiners.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 07:01:57 PM »

While that will help him get the dwindling numbers of UAW members and retirees, it might hurt him among people who view unionized auto workers as lazy overpaid whiners.

Who already vote overwhelmingly Republican. If one has a job tangentally related to the auto industry or providing goods and services to it's employees--i.e. most of Michigan.....
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2012, 09:45:12 PM »

Sorry, I don't see Romney winning Michigan. Will probably be closer than in 2008 but Obama will win it. Romney is barely a native son, their economy is improving and Romney was against the auto bailout.

If Romney wins Michigan I'll eat one of those bacon Sundae's from Burger King.
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2012, 10:41:22 PM »
« Edited: June 22, 2012, 10:43:24 PM by mondale84 »

Yeah, not many of those in Michigan. The point is that the auto rescue helped not just the auto rescue but the statewide economy.

There aren't many of these people in Michigan and those who do already vote Republican. The auto rescue helped the state's economy and will help Obama.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2012, 03:46:19 PM »

Database entry: https://uselectionatlas.org/POLLS/PRESIDENT/2012/polls.php?action=indpoll&id=2620120618010
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2012, 06:34:10 PM »

Michigan is a swing state and always has been, so this doesn't surprise me.  Remember, Al Gore only carried Michigan by five points, and John Kerry only carried it by three points.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies