France General Discussion II: Living under Marxism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:41:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  France General Discussion II: Living under Marxism
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 45
Author Topic: France General Discussion II: Living under Marxism  (Read 307421 times)
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2012, 04:12:14 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/07/31/francois-hollande-digs-cameron-empty-olympics-seats-london-2012-games-corporate_n_1722541.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

You must be logged in to read this quote.

LOL, François Hollande is amazing.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2012, 04:24:07 PM »

You can say what you want about Hollande, but he's got a wonderful wit. Wink
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2012, 05:38:48 PM »

You can say what you want about Hollande, but he's got a wonderful wit. Wink

And I'm glad he's willing to stick the knife in after the crap he got from the rightist EU leaders and the international media during the election campaign.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2012, 06:15:56 PM »

Mmmh, maybe I should contribute actual stuff to this thread instead of letting it become the most boring commentary on HOLLANDE MET THE RANDOM GUY WHO'S LABOUR LEADER, HE'S SO KEWLL!111

In interesting summer news, there's the particularly amusing and bizarre "Dallas-sur-Moselle" case between two right-wing Senators from Moselle who really hate each other and are always seeking to destroy one another.

Marianne apparently leaked a really fascinating conversation between one of them, F. Grosdidier (UMP, mayor of Woippy) and some shady guy about how to destroy the other, J-L. Masson (DVD, the guy who hates bloggers). Besides some great juicy details about how Masson is a nymphomaniac fruitcake, Grosdider says that the only way to destroy him is to have him caught in bed with underage girls in Morocco.

http://www.lemonde.fr/politique/article/2012/08/01/a-metz-la-haine-entre-deux-senateurs-de-droite-vire-au-dallas-sur-moselle_1740878_823448.html
http://www.lemonde.fr/politique/article/2012/08/01/francois-grosdidier-et-jean-pierre-masson-des-ennemis-de-trente-ans_1740884_823448.html
http://www.lemonde.fr/politique/article/2012/07/31/un-senateur-suggere-de-pieger-un-adversaire-politique-avec-une-mineure_1740759_823448.html

For reminders, Moselle is also the place where a UMP deputy (Demange or something) in 2008 assassinated his mistress in broad daylight, almost in public, before killing himself afterwards.

In non-underage Arab girls news, Jean-Christophe Lagarde, Morin's enemy, has come around to creating his very own centrist party by splitting off from the NC. It is called the FED - Force europeenne democrate (instead of the Centre humaniste europeen, CHE...). He made a big deal out of it, but the list of those who have signed up for a ride is underwhelming. Besides Michel Mercier, you have only really have Hervé Marseille, Laurent Lafon, François Rochebloine and André Santini. It doesn't appear as if Sauvadet or Leroy, the two other lagardiste NC deputies, have joined him.

Lagarde is the only centrist, with Borloo, who is actually somewhat relevant and a semi-capable politician (in contrast, Morin is a moron), but the creation of like the sixth or seventh centrist party isn't helping their case much.

There's also UMP news, but it takes too long to explain that (and it's too early).
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2012, 07:30:06 PM »

Mmmh, maybe I should contribute actual stuff to this thread instead of letting it become the most boring commentary on HOLLANDE MET THE RANDOM GUY WHO'S LABOUR LEADER, HE'S SO KEWLL!111

Aha.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2012, 04:51:59 PM »

Amusing news of the day:

Duflot awarded 30 Legions d'honneurs, including 13 to elected officials (including 6 Greenies) who are all lefties. Lionnel Luca (UMPFN) throws a fit.
http://www.lemonde.fr/politique/article/2012/08/03/cecile-duflot-a-decerne-la-legion-d-honneur-a-plusieurs-membres-de-son-parti_1741917_823448.html

The UMP mayor of Nogent-sur-Marne has a creepy crush on Carlita: he puts up a statue of her in his town
http://bigbrowser.blog.lemonde.fr/2012/08/02/bella-ciao-carla-bruni-immortalisee-en-simple-ouvriere-italienne/#xtor=RSS-32280322
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2012, 05:22:12 PM »

The Légion d'Honneur has been exploited for political (and personal) purposes since its creation. Seriously, do right-wingers want us look back at Sarkozy's appointments ? Roll Eyes
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2012, 06:19:59 PM »

The Légion d'Honneur has been exploited for political (and personal) purposes since its creation. Seriously, do right-wingers want us look back at Sarkozy's appointments ? Roll Eyes

Lest we forget, Jean Charest is commandant de la Légion d'honneur. If a corrupt twat who has never done anything for France can have it, then I think EELV in its entirety can get it without there being any problem.

(and Luca would probably prefer to name some fascists instead, so...)
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2012, 01:53:08 PM »

Well, so much for "Le changement, c'est maintenant!"  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19194639# 
Will someone please fire Valls already?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2012, 02:34:48 PM »

Well, so much for "Le changement, c'est maintenant!"  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19194639# 

Well, I don't see why PS should close eyes and let people live in illegal and insalubrious camps.
Most kids aren't going to school, nobody pays taxes....
Helping immigrants, yes, letting lawless areas exist, no.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2012, 04:41:05 PM »

Well, I don't see why PS should close eyes and let people live in illegal and insalubrious camps.
Most kids aren't going to school, nobody pays taxes....
Helping immigrants, yes, letting lawless areas exist, no.

Besides, anyone who expected a Hollande presidency to mark a fundamental or even significant change in immigration policy was quite deluded.

Since the 1970s at the least, French public opinion on immigration has been profoundly conservative (if not borderline xenophobic) and I think there's even been a shift further to the right on immigration since 2007 with the economic crisis and all. According to an Ipsos poll right before April 22, 66% agreed with the old statement "there are too many immigrants in France", against 'only' 48% who agreed with the same statement in the CEVIPOF's 2007 post-election Panel. Sure, a majority of left-wingers disagree with that statement, but while you have only 10% or so of Sarko voters who disagree with it, you still have "only" 60% of left-wing voters who disagree.

And while I didn't find similar data on 2012 or 2007, old data for the past elections has shown that on the topic of immigration, those who said that Le Pen had the best solutions was significantly above Le Pen's actual vote share in the election. For a similar point of reference, Sarkozy always scored the best against Flanby on the question of "fighting illegal immigration" or something along those lines. Some 65-70% of respondents answered that they trusted Sarko more than Hollande on immigration.

Given how a small but not insignificant part of the PS/the left's destruction in 2002 was due to the perception - fair or unfair - that Jospin's government had been 'soft on crime' and too liberal/lenient on immigration, the PS has been eager (and made no secret about it) about reconquering the issue of immigration/public safety from the UMP/FN since then. Valls built a lot of his image within the party as one of those 'tougher' guys within the PS who was helping the left reconquer the issue.

(another Hash effortpost which serves no purpose)
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2012, 07:25:42 PM »

If Fillion wins, he's running in 2017. Shocking.
http://www.huffingtonpost.fr/2012/08/11/francois-fillon-2017-ump-candidature-presidentielle_n_1766972.html?utm_hp_ref=france
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2012, 08:38:48 PM »

Fillon, not FillIon.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2012, 09:01:49 PM »

The correct spelling is Fion, of course.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2012, 12:58:34 PM »

Embarrassing typo
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2012, 01:26:33 PM »

No, because Filion is way more common than Fillon.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2012, 04:44:24 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19261885

There's something about Valls which really reminds me of Sarko, although it's probably just me.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2012, 06:33:58 PM »

There's something about Valls which really reminds me of Sarko, although it's probably just me.
There's also something about Hollande that really reminds me of Sarko.  At least, the way he's been governing.  Just not as forcefully, but with the same aims and philosophy in mind. 
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2012, 12:06:14 AM »

LOL, I wasn't even aware these riots were going on. Since I came to SF I haven't been following any French news. Well, wow. I think I need some more info to comment on the events, but from what I gather it seems like big stuff.

There's also something about Hollande that really reminds me of Sarko.  At least, the way he's been governing.  Just not as forcefully, but with the same aims and philosophy in mind. 

He might not be as left-wing as we'd like him to be (even then, it's early to judge), but this is objectively false. Or at least, indicates that your criteria for "ideological similarity" are very loose.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2012, 05:12:24 PM »

LOL, I wasn't even aware these riots were going on. Since I came to SF I haven't been following any French news. Well, wow. I think I need some more info to comment on the events, but from what I gather it seems like big stuff.

He might not be as left-wing as we'd like him to be (even then, it's early to judge), but this is objectively false. Or at least, indicates that your criteria for "ideological similarity" are very loose.
I said that more with anger than analytical depth Tongue But he's basically endorsed the austerity that's being imposed upon the Greeks and let Merkel have her way.  No renegotiation of the fiscal compact whatsoever, even though he kept saying he would.  And now they've ratified it.  Not to mention his spending cuts.  And even a really hardcore supporter of his would have to admit that his "raising" of the minimum wage was a total joke.  I mean, 2%, really?  God, if only there were a way to go back in time and hold the PS primary all over again. 
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2012, 03:00:56 PM »

Lest we forget, Jean Charest is commandant de la Légion d'honneur. If a corrupt twat who has never done anything for France can have it, then I think EELV in its entirety can get it without there being any problem.

commandeur, not commandant Wink

My grand-grand-father sent back his own after WW2, seeing how many had earned it without doing anything. And he didn't know that Johnny Hallyday would earn it too...
Well, he won his own by fighting during WW1 AND WW2...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2012, 03:17:37 PM »

And he didn't know that Johnny Hallyday would earn it too...

Wow... that's nearly as much of a joke as the honours we give out.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2012, 12:19:13 AM »

BTW, the government's approvals apparently have been plummeting in the past weeks. I'm not entirely sure, but it seems that it has to do with high gas prices and poor economic numbers (and the government's perceived lack of action).
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2012, 05:10:27 AM »

BTW, the government's approvals apparently have been plummeting in the past weeks. I'm not entirely sure, but it seems that it has to do with high gas prices and poor economic numbers (and the government's perceived lack of action).

Obviously their fault. Roll Eyes
Zanas
Zanas46
France

« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2012, 05:59:48 PM »

That's it, the government just lowered the price of one liter of gas by 0,06 €. Huge priority for a left-wing government to spend its money on... -___-'

Oh and Montebourg said that nuclear power was a "sector with a future" (un secteur d'avenir), the Greens are pretty pissed but they either resign or shut up. So they shut up. Glad we the FdG didn't negotiate ministers beforehand like those did...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 45  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies