France General Discussion II: Living under Marxism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:34:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  France General Discussion II: Living under Marxism
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45
Author Topic: France General Discussion II: Living under Marxism  (Read 307436 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #950 on: May 04, 2015, 01:49:38 PM »

Panzerdaddy suspended from the FN.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #951 on: May 04, 2015, 03:42:58 PM »

That's the most blatant attempt of electioneering I've seen in years.  Marine "Panzergirl" Le Pen, is making us American politicos proud with her pretending that she, and her National Front don't believe this anti-semetic, protectionist, and xenophobic garbage that Jean Marie "Panzerdaddy" Le Pen has spewed out over the years. It's straight out of Karl Rove's playbook, and it must be thwarted.

Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #952 on: May 05, 2015, 03:22:05 AM »

Jean-Marie Le Pen called the FN’s decision “felony” on Monday. “I don’t acknowledge any link with someone who betrays me in such a scandalous manner,” Mr Le Pen told Europe 1 radio station. “I am ashamed that the president of the National Front bears my name and I want her to lose it as soon as possible.” He suggested she marry Louis Aliot, 45, or Florian Philippot, 33, two of the vice-presidents of the party.

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/1e312e5c-f298-11e4-b914-00144feab7de.html#axzz3ZFaAMzXP
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #953 on: May 05, 2015, 04:59:51 AM »

That's hardcore trolling from him.

Especially the part about marrying Aliot or Philippot.

Aliot is already her partner since 2009, while Philippot is gay. Let's consider FN has five vice-president, why naming only those two?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #954 on: May 30, 2015, 04:56:13 PM »

Moreover, it has been confirmed that from May 30th we should not talk about the UMP anymore, but about "Les Républicains".

lol is this to piss off the leftwingers?
Main reason is that Sarkozy needs a fresh image. He is betting that people will trust him when he says that he is a different man. So it's a new party of a "new man".

Of course they are trying to monopolize the role of "defenders of the Republic", which pisses off every one else.
Should be noted that internally, the new name isn't unanimously welcomed, like at all. I know from UMP members (that I only know from a French political forum, I promptly reassure you Wink) that the odds are rather for keeping UMP than changing to "Les Républicains". Wait and see.

It is done. http://www.republicains.fr/

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #955 on: May 30, 2015, 05:09:12 PM »

Yay! This is the greatest thing evah!
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #956 on: July 11, 2015, 01:58:02 PM »

Wooow,
It appears that Hollande handled the greek crisis quite positively. Glad to see he doesn't always f*** up.
swl
France

« Reply #957 on: July 19, 2015, 03:15:28 PM »
« Edited: July 19, 2015, 03:49:45 PM by swl »

It's a funny thing that quite a large number of French people judge Hollande positively on the wars in Mali or Centrafrica, on its reaction to the terrorist attacks or during the decisive talks of this week, but still despise anyway because he looks bad on pictures.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #958 on: July 19, 2015, 03:30:02 PM »

It's a funny thing that quite a large number of French people judge Hollande positively on the wars in Mali or Centrafrica, on its reaction to terrorist attacks or during the decisive talks of this week, but still despise anyway because he looks bad on pictures.

No, the reason is that nobody in France cares about foreign policy.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #959 on: July 29, 2015, 03:16:28 PM »

Panzerparty votes to expel Panzerdaddy.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #960 on: July 29, 2015, 03:27:15 PM »

Family meetings will be fun from now on. Tongue
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #961 on: July 29, 2015, 03:44:13 PM »

Hollande reiterates that if the jobs numbers don't improve next year, he won't run for reelection. Believe when seen. Wonder if a president will ever leave office popular.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #962 on: July 29, 2015, 04:10:57 PM »

Wooow,
It appears that Hollande handled the greek crisis quite positively. Glad to see he doesn't always f*** up.

Not only has saved our collective ass but he successfully recruited Renzi to form an alliance against Germany's increasing hegemony of the EU.
A France-Italy axis might be necessary if hardliners like Schauble continue to aggressively push for the transformation of the Eurozone into a permanent austerity neo-liberal paradise.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #963 on: August 06, 2015, 06:42:27 AM »

I think I asked this before but can somebody explain to me why UDF back in 1995 supported the way way more right-wing Balladur over the now moderate more europhile Chirac? Any articles on this?

Pretty much says everything you need to know about French politics when parties start backing candidates with different political philosophies based on ancient grudges.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #964 on: August 06, 2015, 07:22:31 AM »

LOL @ the idea that Chirac had any ideology or beliefs at any point in time.

Anyway, Balladur's political culture and governing style were a much better match for UDF than Chirac's.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #965 on: August 06, 2015, 01:39:04 PM »

LOL @ the idea that Chirac had any ideology or beliefs at any point in time.

Anyway, Balladur's political culture and governing style were a much better match for UDF than Chirac's.

Woah, I mean he's a flip flopper, but its still generally accepted that he went from incarnating the right-wing of the French Republican right (ok the conservative-dirigiste Right) to almost Blairite levels of Third Wayism. It seems more evolutionary opportunism given historical circumstances than having no ideas at all. Maybe that's what you meant... He wouldn't have won the 2002 2nd round with 82% had he stuck with his old views, more 60-40 with many of the Plural Left not endorsing him the way they did.

Considering Nicholas Sarkozy is a Balladuriste, I find it hard to believe someone like Bayrou could support their political clan, other than to please a bitter VGE. Bayrou eventually kept his ministerial post under Chirac too.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #966 on: August 06, 2015, 03:25:48 PM »

Chirac was an old-style anti-EU Gaullist in the 70s, a Thatcherite neoliberal in the 80s, a "compassionate conservative" in the 90s, and a wise, cautious center-rightist in the 2000s. And that's excluding all the short-term shifts he's made around the times of election campaigns. Even by politicians' standards, he is the ultimate flip-flopper.

The Chirac vs. Balladur clash had very little to do with ideology. Mainly, it had to do with the fact that Balladur was reasonably popular in his early year as PM and thought he had a shot at taking the nod away from Chirac, who was seen as an old has-been at that point. Sarkozy sided with him because he too thought Balladur was going to win.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #967 on: August 20, 2015, 01:21:00 PM »

Panzerdaddy has been expelled from the Panzer Army.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #968 on: August 20, 2015, 02:02:01 PM »

I wonder if he will be allowed to stay on as an MEP within the FN group. Given that Marine is also an MEP, I don't think so.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #969 on: August 21, 2015, 01:05:04 PM »

Three people have been wounded in a shooting attack in the high-speed Thalys train from Amsterdam to Paris, in Arras (Nord-Pas-de-Calais). The perpetrator had a Kalashnikov and knives, and was eventually overpowered by three American soldiers who happened to be on the train. It might have been a terrorist attack, but there's no certainty about that yet. The perpetrator was a man aged 30 to 40 with a Northern African background.

http://www.lavoixdunord.fr/region/arras-coups-de-feu-dans-un-thalys-des-blesses-dont-ia0b0n3001636
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #970 on: August 21, 2015, 05:57:14 PM »

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34023361

The Americans were two Marines who heard him loading the gun in the bathroom.  The gunman was a 26 year old Moroccan.

This turned out as well as it could have thanks to a very unlikely coincidence.
SNJ1985
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #971 on: August 21, 2015, 07:59:39 PM »

I wonder if he will be allowed to stay on as an MEP within the FN group. Given that Marine is also an MEP, I don't think so.

He should just join the Party of France, which is led by Carl Lang, a former FN MEP who opposed Marine's candidacy for leadership of the FN.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #972 on: August 22, 2015, 07:39:43 AM »

Thanks Murica, I guess. Smiley
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #973 on: August 22, 2015, 09:27:43 AM »

I was on the exact same Thalys train almost exactly 10 years ago, also from Amsterdam to Paris with a friend of mine on an Interrail trip.

And the ironic thing is that we also met 2 Americans (from Louisiana) on that train ...

Anyway, good job US soldiers.
rob in cal
« Reply #974 on: September 11, 2015, 09:49:20 PM »

I just read that in his last press conference President Hollande said he is thinking about electoral reform, including some proportional representation, referring to I assume National Assembly elections.  Would love to see this go through.  Would the current parliament go for this?
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies