Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 05:46:58 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Questions and Answers
| |-+  The Atlas
| | |-+  Proposal- Military Board
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Proposal- Military Board  (Read 2184 times)
Mynheer Peeperkorn
Peeperkorn
YaBB God
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -8.35

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2012, 03:02:19 am »
Ignore

I don't understand, did you say football? Like in real football?

You're on an American centric board hosted on American servers owned by an American.  You'll need to get used to our used of the term football.  You can call it association football if you want...or better yet, soccer.  It's not like you don't know what "soccer" means.

What's soccer?
ōcēlōxōchitl
a Person
YaBB God
Germany

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2012, 03:12:20 am »
Ignore

I don't understand, did you say football? Like in real football?

You're on an American centric board hosted on American servers owned by an American.  You'll need to get used to our used of the term football.  You can call it association football if you want...or better yet, soccer.  It's not like you don't know what "soccer" means.
Just because some term is widely used does not mean it is correct.
American "football" uses an object that is not shaped like a ball, which is passed around mostly by hand and not by foot.

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -4.52

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2012, 04:15:19 am »
Ignore

What's soccer?
Are you seriously ignorant of that word?
American "football" uses an object that is not shaped like a ball, which is passed around mostly by hand and not by foot.
It doesn't matter if you think it's correct or not.  When you say "football" in America, it means a certain thing.  And since this is, again, an American centric board, hosted on an American server and owned by an American, we're going to use American terms.  We call that thing in the back of the car the trunk, not a boot, Kofferraum or tronco.  You don't have to like it, but you're a dick if you argue about it.  I'd be a dick if I went on a German centric board and started insisting you call it soccer.

ōcēlōxōchitl
a Person
YaBB God
Germany

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2012, 04:34:18 am »
Ignore

I'm fairly certain he was joking.
It doesn't matter if you think it's correct or not.  When you say "football" in America, it means a certain thing.  And since this is, again, an American centric board, hosted on an American server and owned by an American, we're going to use American terms.
I'm not going to call "American football" "football", because, for the reason I already posted, it is an absurd name. That said, I don't generally talk about "American football" to begin with, and calling football "association football" is a reasonable enough compromise, I guess.
  We call that thing in the back of the car the trunk, not a boot, Kofferraum or tronco.  You don't have to like it, but you're a dick if you argue about it.  I'd be a dick if I went on a German centric board and started insisting you call it soccer.
That's a really bad analogy.
1) "Trunk" actually makes sense as a word. Besides that, "football" is still an English word, unlike "Kofferraum" or "tronco."
2) There only is one word for association football in German.

Frodo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2012, 05:24:04 pm »
Ignore

I mentioned football in the first post. As in real football:

-----

Essentially, think of our sport of football as an American version of rugby.  There are similarities. 

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2012, 01:23:33 pm »
Ignore

It seems that there is more support for this... I believe this board relates more to the purposeof the forum then a sports board frankly

Why? I love military history (I must be the only foreigner who bought all the West Point Military Atlases) but sports are more pacific and less competitive, etc. Also, gays.

Sports board = nordic boys

Military board = not nordic boys at all

Well at least if we had a military board, it'd be because not all military stuff necessarily fits in U.S. General.  But 99.9% of sports stuff fits into Off Topic.  There's NO need for a sports board.
The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2012, 02:19:59 pm »
Ignore

Good lord, how did this thread turn into the old "is 'football' gridiron or association football" debate?  It's right up there with Mac v. PC in terms of terrible Internet arguments.

Einzige is a poltroon who cowardly turns down duel challenges he should be honor-bound to accept. The Code Duello authorizes you to mock and belittle such a pathetic honorless scoundrel.
President John Hay
clarence
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2012, 03:57:32 pm »
Ignore

So can we have the board :-)

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2012, 05:25:12 pm »
Ignore

If you really want it, the best way to get it done would be to send an e-mail to Dave.
President John Hay
clarence
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2012, 05:44:01 pm »
Ignore

If you really want it, the best way to get it done would be to send an e-mail to Dave.
Ok- what is his e-mail address?

SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.03, S: -8.96

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2012, 05:56:30 pm »
Ignore

Ok- what is his e-mail address?

http://uselectionatlas.org/BOTTOM/email.php

Platypus
hughento
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2012, 10:14:44 pm »
Ignore

Military board: Maybe. Probably not.

Best football:

« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 10:18:45 pm by I'm spinning a Platypus, get out of my way »Logged

morgieb
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2012, 02:45:41 am »
Ignore

Military board: Maybe. Probably not.

Best football:

Only proper answer.
morgieb
YaBB God
Australia