UT-4: Dan Jones: Matheson up by 15
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:20:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 House Election Polls
  UT-4: Dan Jones: Matheson up by 15
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: UT-4: Dan Jones: Matheson up by 15  (Read 3345 times)
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2012, 07:35:26 PM »

Being very, very liberal, I'd vote for Matherson with no doubts if I lived in Utah. I know he's conservative, I know he may be too oportunistic, I know that he only wants to win reelection and doesn't care about helping other democrats in Utah... But he's the best you have for the moment, Pioneer. Republican leaders in your state don't like him, in fact, they probably hate him. That's a reason to support him if you're a democrat. Republican leaders control almost everything in your state. The only thing that stops a complet happiness for them is called Jim Matherson (maybe SLC mayor counts, too). I know this feeling very well because I live in Madrid, and every politician we elect is a member of the Partido Popular... You, at least, have a member of your party representing you. He may be too conservative for your taste, but he's better than that Mia Love. Ugh.
kenyanobama
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.52, S: 9.48

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2012, 08:45:29 PM »

I think Mia Love will win but I wish a true Christian had a shot at this seat.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2012, 09:08:35 PM »

Being very, very liberal, I'd vote for Matherson with no doubts if I lived in Utah. I know he's conservative, I know he may be too oportunistic, I know that he only wants to win reelection and doesn't care about helping other democrats in Utah... But he's the best you have for the moment, Pioneer. Republican leaders in your state don't like him, in fact, they probably hate him. That's a reason to support him if you're a democrat. Republican leaders control almost everything in your state. The only thing that stops a complete happiness for them is called Jim Matherson (maybe SLC mayor counts, too). I know this feeling very well because I live in Madrid, and every politician we elect is a member of the Partido Popular... You, at least, have a member of your party representing you. He may be too conservative for your taste, but he's better than that Mia Love. Ugh.

You have a point, but I don't feel that he deserves re-election. He doesn't deserve my vote if all he's going to do is be a roadblock for the Republicans. I don't believe in the kind of partisanship that says "even though he acts nothing like a Democrat, he still is one, so he needs our support!"

I know I really shouldn't respond to you, but you can go straight back to intolerant redneck land.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2012, 09:19:41 PM »

To be honest, I'm torn. On the one hand, having at least a single Democrat in Utah is nice, and could be useful on a few votes, but on the other hand, it's Jim Matheson. He's way too much of a conservative Democrat (even for Utah in my opinion), he votes with the Republicans on way too many votes, and he tries way too hard to agree with the Utah Republicans on a ton of issues. Seriously, look at his voting record.

I almost think that it'd be beneficial for Utah Democrats to have Matheson lose, just so we can regroup and have someone other than Matheson be the face of Democrats in Utah. I mean, sure, another moderate-to-mildly-conservative Democrat is the best option, but Matheson, despite his winning streak, isn't a good figurehead for Utah Dems.

A Democrat is a Democrat!

If Matheson loses, we'll be one more seat shy of ending Speaker Boehner's tenure.

The liberals tried something similar that with the Halter Experiment last cycle in Arkansas when they went after Senator Lincoln for not being 'pure' enough. Look how that turned out....

Lincoln won the primary and went onto be demolished in the general? I don't think that's the point you're trying to make, is it?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2012, 02:12:36 PM »

By the way, it seems Mia Love has a ready-made Cato Institute plan to gouge giant holes in every budget except the military's budget. It's a Karl Rove-esque tactic, since one of Matheson's strengths is that he tends to be a fiscally conservative budget hawk (though open to compromise, unlike the Tea Party Republicans these days).

Wonder how it's going to affect polling numbers; Utah doesn't tend to have polls very often, but I could see this plan causing a new poll to be put out.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2012, 02:20:43 PM »

You din't finish your sentence. You wish a true white had a shot at it.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies