PA State Rep. Mike Turzai = ADMITTED DOUCHEBAG!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:26:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  PA State Rep. Mike Turzai = ADMITTED DOUCHEBAG!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: PA State Rep. Mike Turzai = ADMITTED DOUCHEBAG!  (Read 4364 times)
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2012, 09:49:05 AM »

First, I think the Pennsylvania law is overly restrictive.

Second, in the last two months, I've:

1.  Been called by (Democratic) DA's Office to verify that I signed the Republican Committee member's nominating petition.  (I did.)

2.  Robocalled by my (Democratic) state rep to see if I had ID to vote.

3.  Been called by some Republicans to see if they could use me as a poll watcher to check ID's.  (I cannot sit 13 hours, so I declined.)

4.  Had an actually nonpartisan flyer on my door telling me that I'd need ID to vote.

The PA voter ID law is certainly more restrictive than Canada's. PA appears to only have one of the three prongs Canada uses to verify, and that is a government-issued photo id. Canada allows for two non-photo options as well.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2012, 10:12:13 AM »

The PA voter ID law is certainly more restrictive than Canada's. PA appears to only have one of the three prongs Canada uses to verify, and that is a government-issued photo id. Canada allows for two non-photo options as well.

It is actually easier to get welfare benefits in PA that it is to vote, at least in terms of ID and residency.

There is a need for verification of voter's ID, but this law is too draconian.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2012, 10:23:42 AM »

It is actually easier to get welfare benefits in PA that it is to vote, at least in terms of ID and residency.

It would seem more natural to make a uniform standard for ID whether for voting or state benefits.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2012, 10:39:42 AM »

How can you tell? You don't even live here.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2012, 11:29:24 AM »

It would seem more natural to make a uniform standard for ID whether for voting or state benefits.

Easily so. 

Consider this.  I've voted in the same polling station for 13 years.  People there know me, and I them.  There is a record of my signature there.  I will have to show ID this time. 

If I lose my driver's license, I cannot vote, in spite of the fact that I have two signed credit cards, a signed lease and numerous utility bills in my name, a signed bank card, a signed voter registration card, a signed library card, and signed verification of my IQ range.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2012, 12:06:33 PM »

Easily so. 

Consider this.  I've voted in the same polling station for 13 years.  People there know me, and I them.  There is a record of my signature there.  I will have to show ID this time. 

If I lose my driver's license, I cannot vote, in spite of the fact that I have two signed credit cards, a signed lease and numerous utility bills in my name, a signed bank card, a signed voter registration card, a signed library card, and signed verification of my IQ range.

The law permits you to use a passport, and/or vote on a provisional ballot.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2012, 01:07:44 PM »

We need voter ID, when I went to vote all I had to do was say my address. You could find that on the White Pages. I'm not for disenfranchising anyone, but fraud is way too easy. Universal registration is also a good idea.

Of course, this assumes everyone voting is a good thing. For the sake of this exercise, let's assume this is true.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2012, 01:19:57 PM »

Easily so. 

Yes, but unlike applying for state benefits, PA voter ID does not let you use two statements such as utility bills with your name and address along with a signature.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2012, 02:36:15 PM »

Easily so. 

I don't have a passport.  Smiley

What is needed for a provisional ballot?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies