Pres and VP elect assassinated
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:10:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Pres and VP elect assassinated
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pres and VP elect assassinated  (Read 6047 times)
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 20, 2005, 05:58:37 AM »

What if during the two week long official lame duck period the President and VP elect are both assassinated, simautaneously?
BobOMac2k2

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 08:26:16 AM »

I think then Kerry and Edwards would take over.

Or it would go to the Speaker.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 08:31:13 AM »

The line of succession kicks in.

For the purposes of our example I shall arbitrarily assume that the President-elect and VP-elect were assassinated on 10th January.

If (as we have presently) a re-elected President and VP, then the line of succession promotes the Speaker of the House to the Presidency for the ten days till a new President is duly sworn in; Since the Elects are both dead, then that would be whoever the new Speaker of the House would be. For this reason, it is likely that both the Speaker and PPT (so that they wouldn't lose their seats and would be eligible for the entire 4 year term) would pass themselves over (they can do so under the US code) and the SecState would become President for ten days. Then when the ten days were up, the Speaker would become the new President for the entire 4 year term.

If we had a situation such as we had in 2000 with a brand new Prez and VP, then the Speaker would simply become President Elect and would be sworn in on the 20th just like any other President Elect.

I hope that is vaguely clear.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 08:39:30 AM »

I think then Kerry and Edwards would take over.

It could only have gone to Kerry if Bush and Cheney had been assassinated between casting of electoral votes (which I think was Dec 13th) and counting of electoral votes (which I think was Jan 6th)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 03:24:02 PM »

That assumes that they follow the precedent followed in 1872 because of Greeley's death.  However, Greeley died before the electors cast their ballots.  If the deaths happened after the ballots were cast, they might choose to go ahead and count them.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005, 07:30:00 PM »

22nd/23rd Amendment says "Congress may by law provide..." for this exact circumstance.  So the Speaker gets it.  [Although the losing party could argue this to death, based on the Greeley precedent...but the SupCt (if it got there) would uphold the Speaker's claim]
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2005, 01:44:11 AM »

I would say that the Greely precedent is still germane.  The United States Code is silent about whether an electoral vote cast for a deceased person is a vaild vote.  Note that the precedent does not say anything about whether a vote cast for a person who died after the vote was cast is valid.  I think it could be reasonably inferred from the language of 3 USC 19 that a person who dies after the electoral votes are cast would still receive those votes, and if they be a majority of the electors, become President-elect or Vice President-elect as the case may be, who would then fail to qualify because he was dead, but it isn't explicit.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2005, 03:08:31 PM »

When I read the subject of this thread, I thought of all the Secret Police monitering this board..
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2005, 02:13:14 AM »

then we would have President Hassert.  If this happens, the presidency goes to the speaker of the house.  Not really an improvement, but better than Dick Cheney or Newt Gingrich as President
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2005, 02:41:01 PM »

Which Speaker would become president, the new or old (assuming they're not the same)? Would it matter if the new Congress had been sworn in yet?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies