Moderate Republicans
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:23:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Moderate Republicans
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Moderate Republicans  (Read 11814 times)
BritishDixie
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 29, 2012, 08:42:40 AM »

Any moderate Republicans on here? I'd just like to hear your thoughts on the present state of the Republican Party.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 09:01:08 AM »

There are very few moderate Republicans (those that are are vilified as RINOs), which is the problem with the present state of the party.
BritishDixie
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 09:15:26 AM »

By moderate Republican, I also mean those who can compromise, even if they are strongly right wing (thinking of Ike Eisenhower types here, also Ronald Reagan to a lesser extent). That's the major problem in my opinion.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 09:31:53 AM »

Torie.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 09:50:49 AM »

I don't think of myself as too moderate, but if I were a US politician, the Tea Party would probably label me moderate. I have a couple moderate positions, and also am pro-compromise, which is becoming a big "no-no".
BritishDixie
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 09:55:26 AM »

I don't think of myself as too moderate, but if I were a US politician, the Tea Party would probably label me moderate. I have a couple moderate positions, and also am pro-compromise, which is becoming a big "no-no".

Kind of like me. There has to be compromise, especially with thing like tax and spending. I hold fairly conventional social conservative views, but I don't obsess about "gays", "immigrants" and abortions, which seems to have pretty much taken over Republican Party thinking.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 11:13:59 AM »

Today, if you compromise, you lose to a guy named Mourdock and end up like this:

BritishDixie
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 11:24:23 AM »

Today, if you compromise, you lose to a guy named Mourdock and end up like this:

Poor Dick Lugar Sad
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 11:58:10 AM »

I think we've stretched the definition of "moderate" a bit too far in some cases, like Dick Lugar. Sure he's not that conservative, but he's also not a moderate.

Heck, I've had people call me a moderate before. Wink
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 12:56:20 PM »

True conservatives died with Goldwater.

Today's North American conservatives are ultra religious baboons.

We're the new liberals of the Republican party. Can you imagine that? - Goldwater to Bob Dole, 1996.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 01:07:35 PM »

I think we've stretched the definition of "moderate" a bit too far in some cases, like Dick Lugar. Sure he's not that conservative, but he's also not a moderate.

He cooperated on a bill with Democrats in one instance. That makes him a RINO.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 02:29:30 PM »

Andrew, Torie and Bullmoose.
BritishDixie
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 02:29:41 PM »

Quite pathetic they would chuck him out for that. I would agree that the Republican far-right e.g. Bachmann, Cain and Palin, have taken over the party and castigated anyone who is not 100% with them as a RINO. Although the Democrats did the same to Lieberman, despite him agreeing with the Party 70% of the time or so.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 02:31:30 PM »

Quite pathetic they would chuck him out for that. I would agree that the Republican far-right e.g. Bachmann, Cain and Palin, have taken over the party and castigated anyone who is not 100% with them as a RINO. Although the Democrats did the same to Lieberman, despite him agreeing with the Party 70% of the time or so.

In defense of what happened with Lieberman, part of the 30% there was the overwhelmingly dominant political issue in America at the time (the Iraq War), and the Senate Democratic Caucus let him keep his committee assignments afterwards.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 02:40:13 PM »

Lieberman is an ass.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2012, 05:18:27 PM »

Any moderate Republicans on here? I'd just like to hear your thoughts on the present state of the Republican Party.
what is a 'moderate republican'? i have no idea what the 'center' even is in this country anymore as far as public opinion goes. obviously the washington insider definition of 'centrist' is bipartisan support for bombing sandboxes and giving more money to bankers. but that doesn't really count.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2012, 05:22:17 PM »

True conservatives died with Goldwater.

Today's North American conservatives are ultra religious baboons.

Over-simplification of the definition and, more importantly, an ideology-bound comment. Conservatism by definition is defending things such as tradition and existing institutions. Goldwater merely arrived at a time when the more liberal aspects of his personal views weren't considered even an issue. The parts that did matter at the time, meaning his stances on economics and foreign policy, qualified him as a Conservative.

Why would Conservatism, the defense of tradition, be in its truest form favoring a move away from certain long-standing morals? This isn't an ideologically driven question, but one about how you actually define ideologies.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2012, 05:25:54 PM »

Continuing on that point, defining Goldwater as "true conservatism" would be like defining Bryan as "true liberalism". Is someone who today would be considered on the religious right in terms of social issues really a good representative of "true" liberalism? There were significant aspects to his viewpoint that had a specifically conservative attitude. The same way there were significant aspects of Goldwater that has a specifically liberal attitude.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2012, 05:37:02 PM »

Mr. Conservative: Barry Goldwater vs. the Religious Right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3WZlWhQbns
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2012, 05:42:32 PM »

This again? Seen it. I get that he had the name "Mr. Conservative". Is that your argument?
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2012, 05:52:56 PM »

This again? Seen it. I get that he had the name "Mr. Conservative". Is that your argument?

hopper
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2012, 05:55:35 PM »

Yeah I;m actually a moderate republican. I actually was thinking about putting a thread together like this yesterday. I just don't like the state of the party right now. The only things they win is a majority of whites and the Dems win all the minority voters by ample margins.That can;t go on like this forever. I'm just wondering how long they are gonna go on this anti-abortion and anti-tax crusade. I think the anti-abortion stance is popular in the 3 deep south states(AL, LA, and MS) but thats probably it. They refuse to moderate on Reaganomics. Yeah sure big tax cuts worked in the 80's but China and Brazil were not big economic powerhouses then and the party fails to understand this. Do tax cuts that are actually stimulative. Congressional Republicans either beat themselves or let the Dems beat them. 2 example's of this have occured in the last 2 weeks: Lettting Obama give temporary amnesty to kids that were brought here illegally by their parents. The Republicans had chances for immigration reform in 2006 and blew it. They just gave Obama 3-6 more points on election day for the 2006 blunder. Healthcare Reform is another example: they have no alternative to ObamaCare. They let the Dems beat them there. The Republicans always talking about lowering the cost of Healthcare and so do the Dems but the R's have nothing to insure 31 million additional people like ObamaCare does.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2012, 06:04:47 PM »

Moderate Republicans are just called Democrats these days.
hopper
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2012, 06:09:25 PM »

Yeah but Leiberman is no where as polarizing as Bachmann, Palin, or Cain. Cain was actually likeable before he ran for President. All he had was 9-9-9 and then the scandals came out. His reputation was definately damaged after the scandals. I'm sure Bachmann and Palin are nice people but they can't be the face of the party. I am glad they have moved on to Rubio and are basically phasing out Palin and Bachmann though. Smart Move.
hopper
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2012, 06:16:09 PM »

Heck, I've had people call me a moderate before. Wink
Lugar-his voting was in the middle of both Moderate and Conservative wings of the party.

On Lugar getting voted out his voting record was one of the reasons but not the only reason for getting voted out.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies