NE1: Northeast Budget for FY 2013 [Passed] (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:45:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE1: Northeast Budget for FY 2013 [Passed] (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NE1: Northeast Budget for FY 2013 [Passed]  (Read 4443 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« on: July 01, 2012, 09:58:01 PM »

I propose the following amendment.

100% of the surplus will be placed in a fund reserved for emergencies.  The Northeast Assembly will have the power to allocate this funding.

The following is not part of the amendment but is my view on a proposed new capital.

The government of the Northeast has not collapsed because we do not have a new capital. 
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 10:36:53 PM »

True, if we build one, but we have no need to build a new multi multi billion dollar capital.

The money can better be used to support social, medical, and education programs for the people of the Northeast.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 08:51:25 PM »

On principle, I can support the budget as is, with the exception of half the surplus going to the new capital development.

I am not the least bit convinced any good reason we require a new capital.  This seems to be an absolute priority for some reason.

Somebody please state in clear terms why we need this new capital.  The Assembly and the citizens of the Northeast deserve clear answers, since this entire Assembly, with the exception of myself, seems to be determined to push this through.

What feasibility studies have been done?  What about cost overruns?  Anyone familiar with large scale construction projects knows very well that inevitably cost overruns are going to happen.  How will the taxpayers of the Northeast be protected against cost overruns?    

What if the economy goes south, again, and we do not have this surplus which is projected.  With the passage of this budget, we would be bound by law to devote half of the surplus to new capital development.  What if there is a natural disaster devastating some parts of the Northeast.  We would have an emergency fund sitting there, half of which is earmarked for the new capital.

So at this time, I am voting Aye on the amendment, as a matter of principle.

However, I believe the compromise as outlined by the Governor is the right path to follow, inserting my amendment into the budget bill.  Appropriations for the new capital should be in the New Capital Act.

Governor and members of the Assembly, the purpose behind my amendment is for reasons as discussed above in my statement here.  We need more clarity, the people of the Northeast require more clarity before we rush headlong into constructing a costly new capital, which I believe is unnecessary,  in particular given the difficult economic times we find ourselves living in at this time.

But rather I disagree with the construction or not, the fact remains the people of the Northeast need compelling and valid reasons that this costly project should go ahead.  
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 07:22:34 PM »

Aye
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies