Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2014, 09:47:17 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Gustaf, MasterJedi)
| | |-+  SENATE BILL: Care For Homeless Pets Act of 2012 (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Care For Homeless Pets Act of 2012 (Law'd)  (Read 916 times)
Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: June 30, 2012, 06:39:25 am »
Ignore

A BILL

To provide assistance and temporary housing for pets that are evicted from their homes on account of financial struggles.

Be it enacted by the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia assembled.

SECTION 1. TITLE

This act may be cited as the 'Care For Homeless Pets Act of 2012.'

SECTION 2. FINDINGS

The Senate hereby finds and declares that

1.) Due to rising homelessness and foreclosures across the county, Atlasia’s pet owners have been forced to abandon their pets.

2.) Pets that are faced with abandonment are often found on the brink of death or with failing health conditions including, but not limited to, starvation or kidney failure after being locked in an abandoned home or left to fend for themselves without shelter.

SECTION 3. PROGRAM

1.) Pet owners that are faced with foreclosures or homelessness and are unable to continue to care for their pets will have the option to enter their pet into the Animal Temporary Housing Program (ANTHP).

SECTION 4. ELIGIBILITY

1.) Shelter eligibility/grant distribution for the ANTHP will be set as follows:

2.) The shelter must be municipal, state, or government run in order to be eligible for benefits of the ANTHP.

3.) Shelters that participate in the ANTHP will receive grants based on the foreclosure and homelessness rate in the area, as well as the number of shelters in the vicinity that participate in the program.  Grants will range from $500-$2,000 annually based on these factors.

SECTION 5. FUNDING

1.) Money for the ANTHP will be collected as follows:

2.) $10 million in starting funds will be allocated from the federal budget.

3.) A “Patriots for Pets” fund will be started that will ask for funds from the general public.  The amount given from each donor will be deducted from participating donors’ taxes.  The program shall take effect only after the government accumulates an additional $20 million via donations.

SECTION 6. GUIDELINES

1.) Guidelines for the ANTHP will be set as follows:

2.) Shelters covered by the program will shelter animals for three months. Pets from the same family will be housed in the same shelters, if possible.

3.) During the three month period, the family of the animal/s being sheltered will be given the option to either have the animal/s displayed for adoption, or not to.

4.) If at any time during the three months the family becomes financially stable or wishes to reclaim their pet for any reason, they may do so.

5.) At the end of the three month period, the family may choose to reclaim the pet/s or give full custody of the pet/s to the shelter to display for adoption.  The shelter may not euthanize any animals it has ownership of.

Sponsor: Scott
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 08:22:16 am by Senator North Carolina Yankee »Logged

He's BACK!!! His Time Has Come Once Again! Now We're All Gonna Die! No One is Safe From His Wrath!

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 06:41:41 am »
Ignore

You have 24 hours to advocate for this bill, Scott.

He's BACK!!! His Time Has Come Once Again! Now We're All Gonna Die! No One is Safe From His Wrath!

Senator Polnut
polnut
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 08:38:57 am »
Ignore

This is an often forgotten element of the housing crash, and it deserves to be handled with the utmost seriousness.

Dogma is a comfortable thing, it saves you from thought - Sir Robert Menzies
Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 12:29:08 pm »
Ignore

Due to the rising epidemic of homelessness in this country, pet owners across the nation are often forced to make an unfortunate decision of what to do with their pets.  These decisions, of course, often have led to abandonment, and numerous animals have been found wandering the streets to fend for themselves, or tethered to a piece of furniture alone in decaying homes.  In 2011, the Humane Society of Atlasia created a foreclosure fund to aid shelters faced with the increasing rate of stray animals, and while this was effective, only a few shelters received grants.

The program created by this bill seeks to target this often forgotten problem by funding pre-existing government-run shelters located in economically depressed areas of the country so that pets may have a place to stay while the owners attempt to put their fiscal house in order.  If worst comes to worst, families have the option of keeping their pets in the shelter's custody and have them displayed for adoption.  Because eligible shelters will have a no-kill policy, this assures owners that their pets will be in good hands.

As the President mentioned, this issue is often a forgotten element of the economic crisis and it is something we should address.
All In For KC
tmthforu94
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 12:55:30 pm »
Ignore

This is a good, common-sense piece of legislation. I urge the Senate to pass this legislation quickly.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives."
-Jackie Robinson
President John Hay
clarence
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 05:12:23 pm »
Ignore

Strongly agree with this... good bill Scott-

Warner for Senate '14
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 05:28:09 pm »
Ignore

I ask UC to vote on this.

Obama High's debate team:

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 06:25:41 pm »
Ignore

I ask Unanimous Consent to waive the minimum debate requirements and cloture, to proceed immediately to a final vote. Senators have 24 hours to object.

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 08:20:44 pm »
Ignore

Hearing no objection, the rules are suspended and vote on final passage is underway. Senators, please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 08:24:31 pm »
Ignore

Aye.
Warner for Senate '14
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 11:37:44 pm »
Ignore

Aye

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
wormyguy
YaBB God
Liechtenstein

Political Matrix
E: 4.52, S: -1.57

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 11:48:58 pm »
Ignore

Nay.
President John Hay
clarence
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 12:15:27 am »
Ignore

Aye

Senator Polnut
polnut
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 12:42:17 am »
Ignore

Nay.

You are pure evil sometimes aren't you

LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 12:43:09 am »
Ignore

"Free-market will take care of them."

Aye.
Sbane
sbane
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 03:17:28 am »
Ignore

Aye
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 08:41:43 pm »
Ignore

Aye

Nough votes to pass, 24 hours for Senators to change votes.

Governor TJ
TJ in Cleve
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2012, 08:45:44 pm »
Ignore

Aye

LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2012, 09:21:22 pm »
Ignore

Aye
ilikeverin
YaBB God
Timor-Leste

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2012, 10:08:48 am »
Ignore

Grin Yup

Chief Judicial Officer of the Most Serene Republic of the Midwest, registered in the State of Joy, in Atlasia
Recognized National Treasure of Atlasia
Warner for Senate '14
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2012, 10:02:45 pm »
Ignore

Nay.

What is wrong with you?

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2012, 11:28:33 pm »
Ignore

Vote on Final Passage of the Care for Homeless Pets Act of 2012:

Aye (Cool: Ben, Clarence, ILV, NC Yankee, sbane, Scott, Seatown, and TJ in Cleve
Nay (1): Wormyguy
Abstain (0):

Didn't Vote (1): AndrewPA

With eight votes in the affirmative, the Care for Homelss Pets Act has passed the Senate and is presented to the President for executive action.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 12:12:20 am by Senator North Carolina Yankee »Logged

Senator Polnut
polnut
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2012, 03:27:50 am »
Ignore

I sign this with extreme pride and pleasure.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout