Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 26, 2014, 07:17:41 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Individual Politics (Moderators: Grad Students are the Worst, Torie, Sheriff Buford TX Justice)
| | |-+  When will Israel ever be an issue?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: When will Israel ever be an issue?  (Read 2235 times)
The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
YaBB God
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2012, 01:22:53 am »
Ignore

How influential is J Street really though? It seems to me that AIPAC and the likes of Haim Saban still dominate the Democratic party.

Is there any recent polling on opinions of Palestine and Israel that breaks down by age by party? 18-29 Democrats are most likely less supportive of Israel then their elders, but it'd be nice to see how significant that discrepancy is.

edit: An older poll from Gallup has some better crosstabs:
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 01:27:40 am by XPostFactor99 »Logged
hawkeye59
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2012, 09:48:13 am »
Ignore

I can't understand how a left-wing/liberal person can be pro-Israel.  Don't liberals usually stand for international law and human rights?
I also stand for gay rights, economic welfare, health care for all, and other progressive ideals, which Israel follows quite a bit. Also, I don't even know if Israel has committed any more war crimes than the Palestinians have. I mean, I'm not one of those right-wingers who thinks Israel is perfect, it has its problems, but it's the one of the only democracies in the middle east, and is one of, and quite likely the most, progressive country in the middle east.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.  So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.- Jack Layton (1950-2011)
Dereich
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2012, 10:53:56 am »
Ignore

I can't understand how a left-wing/liberal person can be pro-Israel.  Don't liberals usually stand for international law and human rights?
I also stand for gay rights, economic welfare, health care for all, and other progressive ideals, which Israel follows quite a bit. Also, I don't even know if Israel has committed any more war crimes than the Palestinians have. I mean, I'm not one of those right-wingers who thinks Israel is perfect, it has its problems, but it's the one of the only democracies in the middle east, and is one of, and quite likely the most, progressive country in the middle east.

Israeli trigger-happiness has directly led to more support for Islamists and dictators. It is well and good that it is a democracy, and yes its opponents are usually worse, but that doesn't excuse its overly jingoistic foreign policy and its absurd treatment of the Palestinians.
BritishDixie
United Kingdom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2012, 11:17:51 am »
Ignore

Israeli trigger-happiness has directly led to more support for Islamists and dictators. It is well and good that it is a democracy, and yes its opponents are usually worse, but that doesn't excuse its overly jingoistic foreign policy and its absurd treatment of the Palestinians.

The problem is that a majority of Arabs refuse to accept Israel's right to exist, leading to a more aggresive (understandably) Israeli foreign policy, which in turn leads to more Arab resentment. Its a vicious cycle.

Economic score: +6.58
Social score: +5.04
Dereich
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2012, 01:17:36 pm »
Ignore

The problem is that a majority of Arabs refuse to accept Israel's right to exist, leading to a more aggressive (understandably) Israeli foreign policy, which in turn leads to more Arab resentment. Its a vicious cycle.

Exactly. And its one which could only be broken by either politically painful sacrifices on both sides (as likely as hell freezing over) or a powerful, neutral third party cracking heads together making them both sacrifice, a task which the US has failed very, very badly at.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 01:37:21 pm by Dereich »Logged
© tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2012, 01:34:14 pm »
Ignore

while the numbers may not have budged pro-Palestinian activism has surged on the American left in the last 8-10 years.  so should a geopolitical event bring the issue to the fore, an infrastructure is there to take advantage of it.

in a mirror, dimly lit
Senator TNF
TNF
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2012, 01:36:21 pm »
Ignore

Short of Israel attacking the United States or openly becoming an ally of an enemy regime, I doubt it will ever happen.

Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2012, 09:11:50 pm »
Ignore

Speaking of Israel...

Thought that was sorta interesting...
RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2012, 09:15:55 pm »
Ignore

Short of Israel attacking the United States or openly becoming an ally of an enemy regime, I doubt it will ever happen.

7.35, 3.65

« Les plus nobles principes du monde ne valent que par l’action.  » - Charles de Gaulle

Is it excessive to hold a politician's feet to the fire for giving his base the run around at every turn?
BlueDog Bimble
Rookie
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2012, 06:20:15 am »
Ignore

Israel is a great country, I don't want it to ever become an issue.

Economic score: +5.03
Social score: +1.74

"Every human being makes mistakes"

"A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at?"

"Canada is the only country founded on the relentless pursuit of the rodent"
SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.03, S: -8.96

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2012, 10:11:50 am »
Ignore

A great country doing some very evil things.

Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
YaBB God
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2012, 05:20:29 pm »
Ignore

You're either ignorant or an HP.

Free Bradley Manning
Vosem
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2012, 05:28:02 pm »
Ignore

I'll echo this, but I'll add the qualifier 'unless it becomes radically different than it is now.'

Like...?

You're either ignorant or an HP.

I've read enough of your posts to know in your head I fit into the second category Smiley

Illegally selling arms to North Korea, providing most of the money to anti-Morales rebels in Bolivia, and using the remainder as hush money for his three ex-mistrisses. 
SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2012, 05:44:43 pm »
Ignore

Like...?

Like this.

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -4.52

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2012, 05:53:54 pm »
Ignore

<snicker>

Vosem
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2012, 05:58:28 pm »
Ignore

Could you be more specific? It's a rather long article.

Illegally selling arms to North Korea, providing most of the money to anti-Morales rebels in Bolivia, and using the remainder as hush money for his three ex-mistrisses. 
SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2012, 06:07:23 pm »
Ignore

This comes to mind as just one example.

Vosem
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2012, 06:25:58 pm »
Ignore

Israel would totally have allowed them to go to Gaza if they had agreed to be inspected at Ashdod. You don't think it was rather suspicious they refused to be inspected?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 06:30:48 pm by Vosem »Logged

SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2012, 06:42:00 pm »
Ignore

Israel would totally have allowed them to go to Gaza if they had agreed to be inspected at Ashdod. You don't think it was rather suspicious they refused to be inspected?

They were carrying goods that Israel prohibits in Gaza and that would be removed on inspection, such as cement, wood, iron, animal medications, musical instruments, notebooks, books, candles, crayons, clothing, cups, cutlery, crockery, refrigerators, washing machines, glasses, light bulbs, matches, needles, sheets, blankets, shoes, mattresses, spare parts, threads, fuel, ginger, chocolate, lentils, tomato paste, juice, fishing rods, hatcheries, wheelchairs, hearing aids, glass, steel, bitumen, paint, doors, pipes, generators, electrical cables, and electrical poles (not saying they were carrying all of these, but certainly some of them). The humanitarian need of such was what caused them to press on.

IDS Judicial Overlord PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2012, 07:11:46 pm »
Ignore

I find the treatment of the Palestinians by the Israelis to be deeply concerning. The fact that so many people even on this forum don't seem to see it makes me think that many people will accept just about any kind of conduct out of the allies of the United States government.

Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
YaBB God
United States
Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2012, 09:22:30 pm »
Ignore

I'll echo this, but I'll add the qualifier 'unless it becomes radically different than it is now.'\

You are aware that Israel violates international law, right?

Free Bradley Manning
The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2012, 10:57:15 pm »
Ignore

I'll echo this, but I'll add the qualifier 'unless it becomes radically different than it is now.'\

I've always seen you as a hardcore national sovereignty type.  When did you start caring (or recognizing the legitimacy of) "international law?"

Einzige is a poltroon who cowardly turns down duel challenges he should be honor-bound to accept. The Code Duello authorizes you to mock and belittle such a pathetic honorless scoundrel.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
YaBB God
United States
Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2012, 01:54:19 am »
Ignore

I've always seen you as a hardcore national sovereignty type.  When did you start caring (or recognizing the legitimacy of) "international law?"

When I stopped believing in national sovereignty and all that other Ron Paulian stuff.

Free Bradley Manning
BlueDog Bumble
Rookie
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2012, 09:31:58 am »
Ignore

Ah I thought someone would bring this old chestnut of the Israel-Apartheid analogy up. Unlike in South Africa under apartheid, Arabs have always had the vote and the right to sit in the Knesset. Its restrictions on Palestinian movement into Israel are highly sensible security wise. Really I think this is a hugely overblown analysis of the situation. Also one that is perpertrated by people who are mainly on the left-wing of politics, like Jimmy Carter (whose foreign policy based upon "human rights" allowed for the coming to power of Ayatollah Khomenei, Robert Mugabe and the Sandinistas).

Economic score: +5.03
Social score: +1.74

"Every human being makes mistakes"

"A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at?"

"Canada is the only country founded on the relentless pursuit of the rodent"
The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2012, 10:23:47 am »
Ignore

Also one that is perpertrated by people who are mainly on the left-wing of politics, like Jimmy Carter (whose foreign policy based upon "human rights" allowed for the coming to power of Ayatollah Khomenei, Robert Mugabe and the Sandinistas).

Because Muhammad Reza Pahlavi, Ian Smith, and Anastasio Somoza were such better options than those three.  Right.

Einzige is a poltroon who cowardly turns down duel challenges he should be honor-bound to accept. The Code Duello authorizes you to mock and belittle such a pathetic honorless scoundrel.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout