When will Israel ever be an issue?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:57:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  When will Israel ever be an issue?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: When will Israel ever be an issue?  (Read 4825 times)
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 01, 2012, 06:30:04 PM »

Currently in the United States, both the left and the right seem to agree on support for Israel.  What few pro-Palestine people there are are either portrayed as right-wing antisemites or left-wing loonies.

When will criticism of Israel ever become mainstream in American politics?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 06:33:30 PM »

How many Israel threads have you made this weekend alone?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 06:40:16 PM »

When the banks (Wink) and international financiers (Wink) stop controlling the media (Wink) and thus the political process. So, never.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 06:57:46 PM »

How many Israel threads have you made this weekend alone?

This is the only one, isn't it?
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 06:58:41 PM »

Never, unless the Reloveution (sp?) garners momentum.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 07:02:04 PM »

It won't.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 07:25:49 PM »

It's sad really, especially when you consider that Israel violates international law a lot more than Iran.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 08:12:19 PM »

Probably not unless the Dome of the Rock is torn down to rebuild the Temple.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 10:44:14 PM »

When the anti-Israel crowd has more money and lives in greater numbers in more swing states than the pro-Israel crowd. Same as every other political issue ever.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 11:00:14 PM »

Having a negative view of the PA is probably something a good portion of supporters of the Palestinian cause have.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 01:30:12 AM »

When the anti-Israel crowd has more money and lives in greater numbers in more swing states than the pro-Israel crowd. Same as every other political issue ever.

Amen
BritishDixie
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 03:28:33 AM »

Currently in the United States, both the left and the right seem to agree on support for Israel.  What few pro-Palestine people there are are either portrayed as right-wing antisemites or left-wing loonies.

Hopefully never.

It's sad really, especially when you consider that Israel violates international law a lot more than Iran.

But on the other hand Israel has never held 52 Americans hostage for 14 months. Neither does it stone women, threaten to "wipe" its enemies from the face of the earth, aid and abett international terrorism, hang homosexuals or conduct rigged elections. Its wonderful how the left can support regimes like this simply due to their hatred of Israel.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 11:02:36 AM »

And nobody will ever vote for a catholic, black or woman for president, right?

The question is when pro-Palestinians will be a bigger part of the Democratic base then Jews are. I expect a vocal pro-Palestine block to develop within the Democratic caucus in the next 10-20 years.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 11:16:20 AM »

It won't in the foreseeable future.

The question is when pro-Palestinians will be a bigger part of the Democratic base then Jews are. I expect a vocal pro-Palestine block to develop within the Democratic caucus in the next 10-20 years.

I really doubt that; you'll notice, the trend over the past few years has been for more public approval of Israel's actions, not less (in 2000 pro-Israelis were at about ~60%, now they're ~70%; pro-Palestinians have remained about the same at ~20%). If anything, the logical trend is that pro-Israeli groups become stronger, not the reverse.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 11:34:32 AM »

Hopefully never.

But on the other hand Israel has never held 52 Americans hostage for 14 months. Neither does it stone women, threaten to "wipe" its enemies from the face of the earth, aid and abett international terrorism, hang homosexuals or conduct rigged elections. Its wonderful how the left can support regimes like this simply due to their hatred of Israel.
I can't believe I agree with you for once.
BritishDixie
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 12:06:47 PM »

Hopefully never.

Bipartisanship is good Smiley
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 01:14:08 PM »

It won't in the foreseeable future.

I really doubt that; you'll notice, the trend over the past few years has been for more public approval of Israel's actions, not less (in 2000 pro-Israelis were at about ~60%, now they're ~70%; pro-Palestinians have remained about the same at ~20%). If anything, the logical trend is that pro-Israeli groups become stronger, not the reverse.

Not necessarily. I doubt that support is as solid as it looks; Ron Paul would probably count himself as a supporter but that won't really help the Israeli groups. And there really aren't many other worlds to conquer for the pro-Israel crowd; we don't really do anything diplomatically that they don't support (with the minor blip of the Arab Spring excepted), we give them unquestioned backing in the UN, almost singlehandedly prevent them from being a world pariah, and spend about 1/5th of our foreign aid budget directly and indirectly supporting them, even when they face no tangible threats and have a GDP per capita the size of Spain. And with the isolationists gaining ground and austerity as the byword of the day, support for them can only go down.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 01:51:08 PM »

Echoing that support for Palestinians is likely at least marginally higher than support for the PA (the PA is a pretty depressing institution)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 02:29:38 PM »

There might be more potential when Islam ceases to be an issue. Right now concerns about Islam are crowding Israel out.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2012, 04:41:19 PM »

Hopefully never.

Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2012, 04:43:48 PM »

I can't understand how a left-wing/liberal person can be pro-Israel.  Don't liberals usually stand for international law and human rights?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2012, 04:49:05 PM »

I can't understand how a left-wing/liberal person can be pro-Israel.  Don't liberals usually stand for international law and human rights?

Roll Eyes
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2012, 04:58:32 PM »

Don't be ridiculous. Liberals stand for such things when a Democrat champions such ideals, yes, and are against such ideas whenever a Republican promotes them. That's how these things work.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2012, 04:59:29 PM »

lol
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2012, 05:19:01 PM »

Actually, from what I understand, many of the liberal Jewish block within the Democratic party aren't that hostile towards Palestine, and don't approve of much of what the right-wing in Israel is doing.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies