NE2: New Capital Act [Failed]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:43:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE2: New Capital Act [Failed]
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: NE2: New Capital Act [Failed]  (Read 3483 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2012, 08:41:28 PM »

Nay

There are far too many unanswered questions.  This massive proposal has the potential for disaster.

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2012, 08:59:08 PM »

*facepalms* Aye.

I don't even know what's going on here.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2012, 11:36:20 PM »

Unfortunately I'm posting a bit to late, but..

We could build the city and then move the government there via amendment.

So build a city that may or may not become the capital depending on the outcome of the amendment vote?

My support has not changed. As a New Yorker, I can tell you our lives would be made easier with the capital elsewhere.

So move the capital elsewhere, not build an entirely new one.  By the way, Napoleon tried to change the capital to Hartford in his original constitutional proposal, which is likely where Simfan got the idea from.

I move that we scrap this multi multi billion dollar boondoggle and expend the funds instead on improving the lives of the citizens of the Northeast.

Something we can agree on.  Use the money for actual urban development, instead of creating an artificial city-state for our officials.

This attitude is emblematic of a major problem facing our society, which is a fear of commitment. Rep. Winfield and Mr. Cincinattus fears what might happen if we stop running surpluses. We issue bonds, and so what if we run a bit over budget? We need something done, and we are going to get it done. There is a predilection for half-baked patch ups and repairs as opposed to comprehensive replacements and solutions. This extends beyond mere infranstructuture (but it certainly is what turned ours into the embarrassingly backwards systems they are today), into our business and personal lives.

Shall we go to another city in this region, undoubtedly based upon outdated and autosarcogaphic suburban and "urban renewal" models of planning. Shall we jam that unfortunate locale's highways or cul de sacs? Or shall we invest in a city designed for the project of governance, meant for official business? One that will show others the way forward in urban planning? I say we should, and escape this debilitating epidemic of small-mindedness.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2012, 07:40:39 AM »

Once again you fail to see my point.  Why should we create an artificial city for the purpose of governance?  Why are we small minded because we don't want a budget deficit?  That kind of thinking, is exactly what leads to billions/trillions of dollars in debt.  "Why wait, we can get out of debt later!". 

If you guys are so worked up about the capital being in NY, move it.  Don't spend money for the purposes of showing it off.  Use the money for urban development in current cities, an investment that would benefit our poorer citizens.  Use it for small business incentives, an investment that will benefit our regions economy.  Let's not build a new capital just so we can show off the fact that all the avenues and libraries are named after us, Gentleman.         
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2012, 05:57:47 PM »

I think this construction has the potential to be an INCREDIBLE government boondoggle. What is the point of building this city in the first place? Let alone spending our surplus to do it. As the bill currently stands I vote:

NAY
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2012, 06:42:39 PM »

As it is, Nay. Unnecessary.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2012, 06:51:18 PM »

The leftist majority that wasn't.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2012, 09:01:55 PM »

Having the capital in Buffalo would be.. interesting.  We can all legislate here and than go to Canada and get wasted afterward?  Smiley

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2012, 10:04:19 PM »

Supported.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2012, 06:12:14 PM »
« Edited: July 07, 2012, 06:15:21 PM by Obama: 08 Hope and Change/12 NO Hope and POCKET Change »

Thank you for your statements.

I take issue, however, with your statement "a state of permanent timidity."

I do not look at being prudent in the expenditure of taxpayers money as being in any way timid.  Indeed, one of the most difficult things that one can do is to ensure that public funds are used appropriately.

Former Speaker Cincinnatus has some very good suggestions.  

Anyway, the New Capital Act has been voted down in the Assembly, so the budget will not include half the surplus to go the construction of a new capital.

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2012, 11:48:38 PM »

The bill fails to pass, 3-2.

Guys, I'm disappointed in your inability to think on a larger scale here.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2012, 02:17:28 PM »

The bill fails to pass, 3-2.

Guys, I'm disappointed in your inability to think on a larger scale here.

Perhaps if those who supported this boondoggle were willing to think on a less grandiose scale and on a more practical and economically feasable scale, and on a scale where public funds were treated with more respect, we could come to a reasonable capital compromise. 
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies