Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2014, 03:01:55 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  History
| | |-+  Alternative History (Moderator: True Federalist)
| | | |-+  Never Say Die! (Mark 2.0.)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Never Say Die! (Mark 2.0.)  (Read 2929 times)
Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2012, 10:24:04 pm »
Ignore

A friendship tracing back to '68? Nice touch I guess.

Abdul the Damned
Kalwejt
YaBB God
Turkey
View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2012, 04:33:47 am »
Ignore

Well, I think his situation can be compared to Huey Long after 1932. He got his ideological constituency nationwide, while lacking power and influence among his fellow Senators. The difference was basically that Long was not a pioneer. He was isolated in Washington because of his wild ambitions and, to put it mildly, dictatorial approachment. On the other Jefferson Dent, after 1968, is rightly considered the first representative of the 1960s generation to get into national politics. Despite his isolation, lack of legislative influence and even a power base at home, he served as a mouthpiece for the movement in Washington, injecting new ideas and sentiments into congressional mainstream and, by virtue of his postion as United States Senator, he was slowly helping making something that was a counterculture thing acceptable. It's hard to imagine future revolutionary social changes and rise of the new generation of politicians without such a pathmaker like Dent.

Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-VT), 2010 interview.

The 1968 election ended the New Deal coalition dominance, but failed, despite our sincere hopes, to turn the country decisively to the right. The "New Left" experienced a sudden renaissance with getting their man in the very Washington. Jefferson Dent was far from appearing as a stereotypical long-haired hippie and, with all his skills and background, was actually credible and effective as the unofficial leader of, until then, unrepresented New Left. We must admit that his victory and subsequent actions helped to create a deep polarization between strong New Right and strong New Left.

Republican strategist Lee Atwater, 1988 interview.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 04:41:12 am by The Pope »Logged

Abdul the Damned
Kalwejt
YaBB God
Turkey
View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2012, 03:35:10 pm »
Ignore

Reporter: Senator Sparkman, your junior colleague...
Sparkman: Off the record: I'm not talking to that little jerk.

Reporter: Senator Dent, your senior colleague...
Dent: Off the record: I'm not taking to that old prick.

Abdul the Damned
Kalwejt
YaBB God
Turkey
View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2012, 05:06:07 pm »
Ignore

June 23, 1971

Much to Thad's surprise, Dent was in a very good mood for someone, whose filibuster just failed with only one colleague, the new guy from Alaska, participating in it. The Aide as not surprised, however, with the place of meeting, the Seanator set. He was rather annoyed.
O'Connor: Couldn't you come up with some nicer place?
Dent: It's safer.
O'Connor: Paranoia may be a good thing, but if you are a Secret Service agent.
Dent: You never lived below Masox-Dixon, so you don't know.
O'Connor: Phew.
Dent: Beside, we're now in Washington which is, contrary to some initial impression you might have, a very small and very gossiping town.
O'Connor: Like your office is not intimate enough.
Dent: I don't want to get gay with you, so intimacy is not an issue.
O'Connor: Thank God.
Dent: Let me tell you about one of my earliest memories, when I was three or four. I was sitting at my godfather's laps, when he made a phone call to one guy, telling him to bug another guy's office. A guy on whose laps I was sitting was named Franklin Delano Roosevelt, a guy he called was J. Edgar Hoover and a guy, who got bugged, was Davis I. Walsh. And FDR was way less "paranoid" than our current President.
O'Connor: FDR was your godfather?
Dent: Well, technically I'm an Episcopalian.
O'Connor: All right, what is it all about?
Dent: I need your help in a very important matter.
O'Connor: Which is?
Dent: Killing the draft.

Dallasfan65
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 5.68, S: -9.74

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2012, 08:40:53 pm »
Ignore

Cheesy

As a veteran who feels for his brothers overseas, I'm sure nothing would be more gratifying for Thad O'Connor.

Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2012, 09:09:50 pm »
Ignore

Dude, I love this tl despite the fact that it takes the antagonists' point of view. (not that I'm pro-draft, this is big picture)

Abdul the Damned
Kalwejt
YaBB God
Turkey
View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2012, 07:29:57 am »
Ignore

When we are talking about the Free Soil and Democrats merging into one party, we must remember both Brewer and Vance did not think of Dent as about a partner. They wanted to purge the most reactionary elements from the state party and turn Free Soil voters (urban liberals, Blacks and former traditional, populist Republicans) into their solid votes, while retaining full power in moderate Democratic hands. They certainly intended to throw Dent under a bus at some point, but while they thought, they are using him, Dent basically outsmarted them, proving very good in quietly working over the machine.

Frm. Congressman Ben Erdreich (D-AL), 2006 interview.

After creation of the Democratic-Free Soil Party, Dent automatically became a member of the Senate Democratic Caucus, where it's national leaders talk similar approachment as his new statewide "friends", trying to secure his base, while not giving him any real power. He was assigned by Majority Leader Mike Mansfield to committees on Health and Labor, Veterans' Affairs and to largely inactive Senate Select Un-American Activities Committee, where, due to lack of other's interest, he became a Chairman by February 1971. Then, he turned the Senate relic of mccarthism into his own tool

The New South, New York, 1998.

Abdul the Damned
Kalwejt
YaBB God
Turkey
View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2012, 05:16:31 pm »
Ignore

O'Connor: How?
Dent: By using an extraordinary measure.
O'Connor: You already tried an extraordinary measure.
Dent: What's so "extraordinary" about filibuster? Nothing. Every single Senator can do it. It's like an old joke still running, despite not being funny when your grandmother was still an embryo.
O'Connor: All right, could you be little more specific?
Dent: You people from the Deep North with your love for cold calculating specifics. No wonder we've got hotter women, providing, of course, they are not overweight. I'm going to act very ungentlemanly, with no regard to the customs of this ancient chamber. In other words, I'm going to pull something even greatest dicks of the Capitol Hill don't do.
O'Connor: If you want to know why we do love specifics, the people like you are the answer.
Dent: No one, even the biggest chickenhawks, wants the draft to go on forever. All they want is just a little, final extension. Just another year or two, just another few thousands bodies in plastic bags. No wonder our liberal lions are willing to accept such a generous compromise. Well, if you ask me, it's a total crap.
O'Connor: I know.
Dent: That's why I s**t at customs and three days before draft will expire, but before they can possibly vote on extension... you know, they love to "come together" at the very last moment, it's so bipartisan... I'm placing a secret hold on the extension, at the very last permissible moment to do it. They can't vote on striking down the hold, unless I agree to reveal. Minutes after I'm placing the hold, I'm off for my long delayed vacations. That's the way we'll kill the draft.
Thad, still somehow sceptical, was nonethelessly impressed.
O'Connor: Wow... you can do it?
Dent: My prerogative.
O'Connor: But... why I never heard of this procedure?
Dent: Because secret holds are placed with intentions to get something in return for withdrawing it. No one is going to place this and then disappear in order to sink the measure without giving the leadership a chance to strike the deal. It's just no fair and even the biggest obstructionist won't go that far. It's extremely against the customs but I don't play by the book. I'm just a radical loony, who became Senator by fluke, and that's why I can do it.
O'Connor: But why are you telling all this to me? You want me to do something?
Dent: Someone have to manage my office while it's going to be under siege. Someone with your patient attitude, Thad. Beside, I trust you. You know what's on stake more than any other aide in this building.
O'Connor: Jeff, can I ask you something?
Dent: Shot.
O'Connor: I know you're very strongly against the war but... you never talk about your experiences, even if it may be good for the message.
Dent: (after pause) Thad, I was a volunteer. It was my fully conscious decision to go there and I deserved all I've got. But those GIs they are chasing on the streets and drooping in a middle of jungle, nobody asked them.

Abdul the Damned
Kalwejt
YaBB God
Turkey
View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2012, 06:13:58 am »
Ignore

I still need to fill some gaps in story from 1969 to 1971, but in meanwhile, as of 1971:

Abdul the Damned
Kalwejt
YaBB God
Turkey
View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2012, 08:08:10 am »
Ignore

The Senate Select Committee on Un-American Activities (also refereed to as SUAC or, less frequently albeit more correctly, SSUAC) was an investigative committee of the United States Senate. Unlike it's House counterpart, the SUAC never became a permanent committee and, as such, had no legislative authority.

Originally a permanent subcommittee within the Government Operations Committee, chaired by notorious Senator Joseph McCarthy (R-WI), it became separate body in 1954 and, along with HUAC, played a leading role during the Second Red Scare. In the 1960s, it went largely inactive but unlike HUAC in 1975, the SUAC was not abolished.

The Committee was revived in 1971, when outspoken liberal Senator Jefferson Dent (D-AL), was assigned there by Majority Leader Mike Mansfield, becoming it's chairman by February due to lack of his colleague's interests. In this position, benefiting from the Committee's powers to investigate, Dent changed a profile of once leading tool of McCarthyism, conducting hearings of such affairs like Kent State shooting in 1970. In 1972, the SUAC became the first body to investigate Watergate scandal.

Members, 92th Congress:

Democrats:

Jefferson Dent (D-AL), chairman
B. Everett Jordan (D-NC)
Alan Cranston (D-CA)
Mike Gravel (D-AK)

Republicans:

Mark Hatfield (R-OR), vice chairman
Edward J. Gurney (R-FL)
James L. Buckley (C/R-NY)

Abdul the Damned
Kalwejt
YaBB God
Turkey
View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2012, 10:20:57 pm »
Ignore

May 5, 1970
United States Senate Chamber

President: The Senator from Alabama.
Dent: Mr. President, I'm having some... um... problems to find a words that would be appropriate enough to describe how I feel about the tragedy that happened yesterday at Kent State, Ohio. Despite these feelings, I decided to not take the floor and speak about it immediately after grave news reached Washington, hoping that at least one of my senior colleagues, that always firmly stood for liberty and against oppression, will address this issue. I hoped someone with more experience and, certainly, more credibility than me would say what ought to be said at this sad moment, but all I've heard was silence... yeah... please forgive my shortcomings right now in face of this tragedy.
What happened at Kent? I still can't understand this. There were young people, seriously concerned about current affairs, as every good citizen should be. They merely exercised their right to free speech and assembly, the very right this nation was found on. And they were shot at like a wild animals by soldiers, that were not threathen even for a single moment... yes, Mr. President, I've seen a lot of demonstrations that turned violent in my life, but even Bull Connor in Birmingham shown more mercy to the protesters than Ohio National Guard.
It's not even about politics. It's not just unpleasant, but distant news... Five young people were murdered. Five young people were robbed of their lives... their dreams, their future.
Yes, Mr. Presidents, they were real people just like you, me or anyone in this chamber. I have been to Kent a few days ago and I had this opportunity... no, this honor to meet these people: Allison Krause, Sandra Scheuer, Jeffrey Miller, William Schroeder, L... Lenora Westman, who used to smile a lot and loved a good music. I regret I haven't stay there and haven't stood with them, for they deserved much better. And they deserve much better now and the least I could do was to say their names on this floor... Thank you, Mr. President.

Abdul the Damned
Kalwejt
YaBB God
Turkey
View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2012, 03:16:03 pm »
Ignore

All right, I'm skipping some years forward with intention to fill the story gap later.

July 11, 1976
New York City

Dent: Carl, I'm actually familiar with this ancient Washington mating ritual. Everybody's telling they don't want this, but, when asked, they all would accept. It's not flirtatiousness from my side, I'm really not interested. I'm telling you "no" right now so I won't have to tell this to the Governor.
Carl Albert, Speaker of the House, just smiled.
Albert: I haven't expected anything less from you, Jeff, but I will insist.
Dent: If you want to waste your time, knock yourself out, Carl.
Albert: The Governor wants you.
Dent: The Governor doesn't want me. He barely know me and, frankly, I barely remember how he looks. It's some idiot in his staff who wants me.
Albert: You're wrong, Jeff. Carter wants you and those, who maybe slightly encouraged him to pick you, are not idiots.
Dent: I appreciate their faith, but this ticket wouldn't make sense, period. We're not only from the same region, but also from two f**king contiguous states.
Albert: Geography is not everything, Jeff.
Dent: I'm 38. What the hell you guys want? John C. Breckinridge all over again?
Albert: That is actually quite attractive part.
Dent: Have more attractive parts?
Albert: Your sarcasm is not justified this time, Jeff. You're younger than the Governor, but you have more political experience.
Dent: Ah, now it's Eisenhower/Nixon, I see.
Albert: Yes, Nixon. The Governor is running as an honest Washington outsider. You can reinforce this message giving your record in opposing Nixon. After all, you and your committee were the very first to notice and investigate Watergate.
Dent: Yes, when you guys were sitting on your asses.
Albert: And yet, you have strong legislative credentials Carter doesn't have.
Dent: I'm also divorced.
Albert: Carter already have "family values" base covered.
Dent: Surely, he can provide his certificate of virginity.
Albert: But the most important thing is that you have an important constituency we need fired up during this election.
Dent: All right, Carl, I'll be blunt. I really like my seat.
Albert: Surely I can believe this (phone rang) I take this one... yes? Governor... yes, he's right here with me...
Dent: This is sooo staged.
Albert: Jeff, Governor Carter would like to speak with you.
Dent: I'm not going to take this.
Albert: Look, whether you accept it or not, you can't just ignore our party's nominee.
Dent: You both are wasting your time... Governor?
Carter: Senator, how are you today?
Dent: I'm fine, Governor, how is Rosalyn?
Carter: She's fine too. Senator, I want you to do me and this country a favor. Would you accept a nomination for my Vice President.
Dent: Governor, you are very kind and I'm deeply honored with your offer, but I can think of many better candidates...
Carter: Don't worry, I have time.
Dent: Eh...

Few hours later

Carter: Ladies and gentlemen, I'd like you to meet the next Vice President of the United States...
Albert: (backstage) There you go, Jeff.
Dent: You guys are assholes.

Abdul the Damned
Kalwejt
YaBB God
Turkey
View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2012, 05:18:32 pm »
Ignore

Former Governor Jimmy Carter of Georgia/Senator Jefferson Dent of Alabama (D): 286 electoral votes
President Gerald Ford of Michigan/Vice President George Bush of Texas (R): 252 electoral votes

Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2012, 05:29:48 pm »
Ignore

Cool! (Can we get more details on the campaign, and maybe map with popular vote shades, even if it means giving the same shades as OTL?)

Abdul the Damned
Kalwejt
YaBB God
Turkey
View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2012, 05:38:14 pm »
Ignore

Vice Presidents of the United States:

39th: Spiro T. Agnew (R-MD), 1969-1973
40th: Gerald R. Ford (R-MI), 1973-1974
41st: George H. W. Bush (R-TX), 1975-1977
42nd: Jefferson J. Dent (D-AL), 1977-present

39th: Resigned
40th: Appointed throught 25th Amendment, elevated to the Presidency
41st: Appointed throught 25th Amendmen after Senate rejected earlier nomination of Nelson Rockefeller

United States Senators from Alabama (Class 3):

Absalom W. Dent (D), 1897-1908*
Joseph F. Johnston (D), 1908-1913
Francis S. White (D), 1914-1915
Oscar W. Underwood (D), 1915-1927
Hugo L. Black (D), 1927-1937
Ethel W. Dent (D), 1937-1938**
J. Lister Hill (D), 1938-1968***
Jefferson J. Dent (R), 1968-1969****
Jefferson J. Dent (FS), 1969-1971
Jefferson J. Dent (D-FS), 1971-1977*****
Martha F. Brewer (D-FS), 1977-present******

(*) Died in office
(**) Appointed to fill a term created by resignation of Hugo Black
(***) Resigned earlier to give successor a preferential seniority
(****) Appointed earlier due to predecessor's resignation; expelled from the Republican caucus because Everett Dirsken was a prick
(*****) Resigned to become Vice President
(******) Appointed to fill the seat by her husband, the Governor

Governors of Alabama

30th: Braxton B. Dent (D), 1896-1900
31st: William J. Samford (D), 1900-1901
32nd: William D. Jelks (D), 1901-1907
30th: Braxton B. Dent (D), 1907-1911
33rd: Emmet O'Neal (D), 1911-1915
34th: Charles Henderson (D), 1915-1919
35th: Thomas Kilby (D), 1919-1923
36th: William W. Brandon (D), 1923-1927
37th: Bibb Graves (D), 1927-1931
38th: Benjamin M. Miller (D), 1931-1935
37th: Bibb Graves (D), 1935-1939
39th: Frank M. Dixon (D), 1939-1943
40th: Chauncey Sparks (D), 1943-1947
41st: James E. Folsom (D), 1947-1951
42nd: James M. Dent (D), 1951-1955
41st: James E. Folsom (D), 1955-1959
43rd: John M. Patterson (D), 1959-1963
44th: George C. Wallace (D), 1963-1967
45th: Lurleen B. Wallace (D), 1967-1968
46th: Albert P. Brewer (D-FS), 1968-present

Abdul the Damned
Kalwejt
YaBB God
Turkey
View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2012, 05:39:05 pm »
Ignore

Cool! (Can we get more details on the campaign, and maybe map with popular vote shades, even if it means giving the same shades as OTL?)

Sure. I'm fully intending to fill the gap between 1971 and 1977 Smiley

Ready For Hoover '28!
Mechaman
YaBB God
Jamaica

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -8.26

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2012, 10:06:55 pm »
Ignore

For the record, this is a really good TL Kalwejt.

I know the lack of comments from me might come out the wrong way.  Trust me, I am reading this TL.  RELIGIOUSLY.  And I think it's turning out great.  The amount of research and originality is just, it's great.

Alabama Free Soil Party?  Man, that's quite original.  And impressive that you bring something in that a lot of history fans such as myself go gaga over.

Keep on keeping on man.  DOn't be discouraged when you don't see as many people commenting on your TLs.  After all, GPORTER gets ALOT of comments on his (though to be fair, his quality his improved a bit).
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 10:10:15 pm by James Badass Monroe »Logged

Abdul the Damned
Kalwejt
YaBB God
Turkey
View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2012, 10:21:35 pm »
Ignore

March 10, 1977
Office of the Vice President, Capitol Hill, D.C.

Thad O'Connor couldn't avoid feeling a little deja vu while entering the room, although both he and his former boss moved up after partitioning their ways. Thad was climbing the Maine GOP ladder, being just elected to the state Senate in special race this fall, while the occupant of this office transformed from an annoying outsider into a man heartbeat away from the button.

They partitioned their ways in good terms. Thad, who got this satisfaction of playing his role in business such as ending the draft and pissing off Capitol dinosaurs, freely admitted that in Alabama he'd gladly join the Democratic-Free Soil Party, but his home state politics was a diffrent matter.

This visit was just an occasion for two friends to meet.

Thad: Mr. Vice President.
Dent: I have a f**king name.
Thad: I just had to say it.
Dent: I knew.
The two laughed.
Dent: Care for something to drink?
Thad: Miller Lite?
Dent: I'll pretend I didn't hear it.
Thad: I'll have what you're having then.
Dent: Are you sure? The last time I gave you Finnish vodka consequences were unspeakable.
Thad: I think I can settle with brandy.
Dent: So, how is living in Augusta?

Dallasfan65
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 5.68, S: -9.74

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2012, 11:18:40 pm »
Ignore

Just wanted to echo what Mecha said. Two Southerners getting elected on the same ticket is very interesting, and I am curious to see if Jefferson Dent will become the second Deputy President Pro Tempore (in the vein of Humphrey) but I suppose we will have to wait to find out. Smiley

You have done really great work with this.

Abdul the Damned
Kalwejt
YaBB God
Turkey
View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2012, 04:58:37 pm »
Ignore

Dent: Joe, why are you making my life miserable?
Biden: Um... what?
Dent: Why are you making my life miserable?
Biden: Jeff, I'm not following.
Dent: Each time you or somebody else is having a clash with the White House, I'm getting an angry call from that motherf**ker Hamilton Jordan, who's calling me like you call a plumber to fix your broken toilet. Of course, I'm telling him you and the others are not some minimum wage farm hands from Plains, but members of the U.S. Senate. So tell me, am I a f**king lightning-rod or Mary Poppins reincarnated?

Abdul the Damned
Kalwejt
YaBB God
Turkey
View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2012, 12:47:06 pm »
Ignore

July 15, 1976
Democratic National Convention, Madison Square Garden, NYC

Congressman Peyton W. Smith (D-AL) is introducing the party's vice presidential nominee.
Smith: Senator, soldier, father...
Dent: (backstage) son and the Holy Spirit.
Smith: ...da greatest son of da greatest state of 'bama... Dis is mah great pleasure ta introduce de next Vice Prez'dent of thi United States: BRAXTON JEFFERSON DENT, II!
Dent: Cocksucker.
Kennedy: Your first name is... Braxton?
Dent: F**k you.

Abdul the Damned
Kalwejt
YaBB God
Turkey
View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2012, 12:51:05 pm »
Ignore

All right, here's the first part of a brief summary of key events between 1968 and 1977. I'll return to explore some events in future Smiley

November 5: Republican Jefferson Dent is narrowly elected to the U.S. Senate in a three-way race, defeating Democrat Jim Allen and Independent Democrat Ryan DeGraffenried.

December 20: Governor Albert Brewer appoints Dent to fill remaining weeks of outgoing Senator J. Lister Hill's term, who decided to retire earlier.'

Due to his radical views, age and weak mandate, Dent is ignored by most of his new colleagues as "fluke", but managed to form good relations with similar-minded liberals like George McGovern, Ralph Yarborough and Mike Gravel.

January 3: Dent is sworn-in for a full six-years term. Despite tradition, Alabama's senior Senator, John J. Sparkman, refuses to stand with Dent as he took an oath.

March 7: Dent is making his maiden speech during debate about food stamps.

March 30: His grandmother, Ethel Wilson Dent, dies at 78.

April - September: Dent firmly establishes himself as a spokesman and representative of the "new generation" in national politics.

July 26: Dent starts his lifelong friendship with Senator Ted Kennedy, who previously ignored him like almost everybody else. It happened in a wake of an infamous Chappaquiddick incident, as Dent, in his turn, was the only Senator not stay away from now-radiant Kennedy.

September 1: Dent is expelled from the Republican Senate Conference due to Everett Dirksen being a prick.

September 8: Dent becomes the first Western official to meet with Muammar Gaddafi, as he travels to Tripoli on "fact finding mission".

December 10: The Alabama Free Soil Party is officially formed at convention in Double Springs, Winston County, uniting liberal dissidents from the state Democratic Party, largely African American Alabama National Democratic Party and traditional Republicans.

1970:

May 2: While visiting protesting students at Kent State University in Ohio, Dent is having a brief, but passionate romance with Lenora Westman, who was killed three two days later by the Ohio National Guard.

May 5: Day after Kent State shootings Dent is emotionally addressing the Senate.

December 22: After long negotiations, state Democratic Party and Free Soil Party are merges into Alabama Democratic-Free Soil Party.

January 3: Dent officially becomes a member of the Senate Democratic caucus. While there are still attempts from the leadership to isolate him, he already transformed from a loose cannon and the sole "Senator from Woodstock" into a leader of an important constituency, both statewide and nationally.

February 4: Dent is named chairman of a largely inactive Senate Select Committee on Un-American Activities. In this role, he skilfully uses committee's investigative prerogatives to hold hearings on such subjects Kent State massacre, abuse of civil rights and Vietnam war.

June 18: Dent and Mike Gravel (D-AK) starts filibuster against extending the draft.

June 23: After filibuster fails, Dent places a secret hold just before deadline and then goes underground, effectively killing an extention. Although attacked by his colleagues from both sides for violating the custom, his positions with liberal party base increases.

June 25: Yeah, we still can try to limit him, Senate Majority Leader Mike Mansfield admits privately. But he's too strong to eliminate now. Guess we f**ked up.

September 9: Dent makes on the Nixon's Enemies List.

November 9: Dent endorsed George McGovern for President.

1972:

March 6: Having an incredibly dumb moment, Dent marries Mary Elizabeth Erskine (born 1950), former intern to Senator Muskie. The couple moves to suburban home in Arlington, Virginia. Dent, who hardly can keep Willie in his pants, starts to cheat on his wife month after tying a knot.  

July 13: Dent delivers a nomination speech for George McGovern at the Democratic National Convention in Miami.

July - September: Being bored, Dent departs for Delaware to aid a joke Senate campaign waged by sacrificial lamb kid against unbeatable and beloved Republican incumbent. The sacrificial lamb kid is named Joseph Robinette Biden. A long friendship is forged.

September: Under Dent's lead, the SUAC becomes the first body to seriously investigate the Watergate breakup. Although dismissed by many as politically charged, investigation eventually becomes a groundwork for Nixon's downfall.

November 7: McGovern is massacred in Nixon's landslide, leading Dent to believe he was the only white in Alabama to vote for his South Dakota colleague. However, in Delaware, Biden is elected by a narrow margin.

December: After Senator-elect Biden's wife and daughter were killed in an automobile accident, which also left his two sons seriously injured, Dent stays with his friend and successfully convinces him to not resign his seat.

January 20: Precisely at noon, when Nixon's second term begun, Victoria Lenora Dent was born at hospital in Arlington.

TBC...
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 02:50:56 pm by Zogby »Logged

Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2012, 02:42:46 pm »
Ignore

Cool stuff. Will we, when 1976 hits, be able to see some highlights of the VP debate? The only notable thing I know from it currently is Dole's "Democratic Wars" comment, and maybe we could have some fireworks there.

Abdul the Damned
Kalwejt
YaBB God
Turkey
View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2012, 03:32:24 pm »
Ignore

January 7: In order to utilize his energy, as well as to keep him out of Washington for some time, Mansfield appoints Dent as an inaugural Chairman of the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee. In longterm the move backfires badly since, due to his new post Dent, was able to make a lot of contacts within state parties, as well as being in leadership gave him considerable immunity from primary challenge in 1974.

May 17: Due to his previous work at SUAC, Dent is given a seat in the Senate Watergate Committee (AKA Ervin Committee).

November 27: Dent votes to confirm Gerald Ford as Vice President.

March 4: Jefferson and Mary Dent separates. Main reasons behind this decision are Jefferson's womanizing and Mary's psychical instability.

August 6: Dent wins DFS senatorial primary in first round, with 57% over four conservative opponents. The same day, Albert Brewer is renominated for Governor.

August 9: Richard Nixon resigns the Presidency.

August 20: President Ford nominates former Governor Nelson Rockefeller of New York for Vice President.

August 22: Senator Dent announced his opposition to Rockefeller's nomination in a fiery speech on the Senate floor.

September 23: A quick (after Dent hinted he'd hire Roy Cohn otherwise) divorce is finalized. Mary Dent keeps a suburban home in Arlington and became Victoria's guardian. For two next months, before finding a sufficient apartment at Watergate complex, Dent lives with the Biden family, commuting daily from Wilmington to D.C. and back.

November 5: Dent is reelected for second term with 68% of the vote against three third-party candidates.

December 10: In a shocking turn of events, the Senate rejects Rockefeller by just one vote, thanks to an unlikely coalition of conservative Republicans (led by Barry Goldwater) and liberal Democrats (led by Jefferson Dent).

December 18: Visibly displeased President Ford consults with Senators Goldwater and Dent on his next Vice Presidential candidate. They both gave a quick answer: we'd have no problems with George Bush.

December 22: Just before Christmas President Ford submits nomination of former Ambassador to the United Nations, George Bush, for Vice President.,

January 3: Jefferson Dent is sworn-in for the second term and, this time, poor John Sparkman is told to not play a damn drama queen. He steps down as DSCC Chair in favor of Bennett Johnston. Mansfield manages to abolish SUAC but must give Dent a seat in the powerful Appropriations Committee instead.

The new Senate is not only more Democratic, but there are many new liberal members elected with considerable aid from Dent.

March 5: George Bush is confirmed as the 41st Vice President of the United States.

September: Although lacking presidential ambitions, Dent starts to consider running for the Democratic presidential nomination in 1976 to strengthen his newfound political muscles and perhaps, since there was no clear frontrunner, to become an influential power broker.

November 5: Dent officially announces for President in Mobile.

Abdul the Damned
Kalwejt
YaBB God
Turkey
View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2012, 03:33:14 pm »
Ignore

Cathcon, I'll return to explore, among other earlier developments, the 1976 race but since Rockefeller never became VP, he was never dropped in favor of Bob Dole.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout