Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2014, 08:37:57 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Questions and Answers
| |-+  The Atlas
| | |-+  So do the ToS now state there can be no suggestions of religious conversion?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: So do the ToS now state there can be no suggestions of religious conversion?  (Read 2403 times)
I am stabbed by grace and slinging blood
BRTD
YaBB God
Sweden

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2012, 04:38:21 pm »
Ignore

7 points. For one of the least hateful things I've ever posted. I've received far less infraction points for comments in the past that were spiteful and nasty personal attacks. I could've probably received less in this instance had I told him to "f**k off".

I don't see this in the ToS anywhere, but does this mean any suggestion of conversion is now infractable? So I can report people who encourage me to accept atheism? (not that I would, but I do wonder if Dibble's calls on me to do so would also earn 7 points.) And out of jmfcst's 101 points, were ANY of those over his proselytization?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 04:40:24 pm by A Glass Can Only Spill What It Contains »Logged

Famous True Leftists:

BRTD
YaBB God
Sweden

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 09:32:23 pm »
Ignore

Just as I'd think it'd be idiotic if someone was given 7 death points for proposing that a Christian become an atheist, or if Xahar suggested someone become a Muslim, or if NY Jew suggested that someone else convert to Judaism.

Famous True Leftists:

IDS Judicial Overlord John Dibble
John Dibble
YaBB God
Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 10:50:03 pm »
Ignore

While I think the points might be too high, looking over the original thread I can see why it might have been infracted. Your proselytizing wasn't exactly relevant to the topic at hand - it was like you decided to just go "look at how pious I am" for no apparent reason. Also, kind of a dick move given the context of the conversation...

"Jewish guy, I know you're pissed about the country that killed millions of your people once more banning something that is a sacred practice in your religion, so the solution is obviously to convert to my religion instead."

You might want to look up this thing called 'tact'.

As far as jmfct's proselytizing goes, I imagine he didn't get infracted for that much because he either kept it in the religion board or when he interjected his religion into something he interjected it in a way that was at least related to the topic. He didn't just randomly try to get angry people to convert in random threads.

The Kingfish
Obamaisdabest
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 10:53:35 pm »
Ignore

What is the "other reason"?

tmthforu94
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 11:28:00 pm »
Ignore

I completely agree with BRTD on this.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
-Jackie Robinson
BRTD
YaBB God
Sweden

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 11:45:33 pm »
Ignore

While I think the points might be too high, looking over the original thread I can see why it might have been infracted. Your proselytizing wasn't exactly relevant to the topic at hand - it was like you decided to just go "look at how pious I am" for no apparent reason. Also, kind of a dick move given the context of the conversation...

"Jewish guy, I know you're pissed about the country that killed millions of your people once more banning something that is a sacred practice in your religion, so the solution is obviously to convert to my religion instead."

As far as jmfct's proselytizing goes, I imagine he didn't get infracted for that much because he either kept it in the religion board or when he interjected his religion into something he interjected it in a way that was at least related to the topic. He didn't just randomly try to get angry people to convert in random threads.

Well yes the thread was rather derailed, but that was mostly due to the off the walls ravings of the person I was referring to. I wasn't the only person suggesting he calm down or pointing out how absurd it was. Also there's at least one other Jewish poster in that thread (memphis) who did not agree with him showing the obvious fact that not all Jews would react in the same way in the circumstances, and we also have plenty of other Jewish posters who don't go around screaming about how anyone who disagrees with them are Nazis, which I might add doesn't show much 'tact' either.

Famous True Leftists:

farewell
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 05:23:54 am »
Ignore

Continuing on that line of talk after being told it's not welcome is pretty agressive behavior. The standards for what's worth what are so messed up as to not exist, so can't judge that part, but I'd infract that.

I may conceivably reconsider.

Knowing me it's more likely than not.
John Dibble
YaBB God
Japan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 08:49:27 am »
Ignore

Well yes the thread was rather derailed, but that was mostly due to the off the walls ravings of the person I was referring to. I wasn't the only person suggesting he calm down or pointing out how absurd it was. Also there's at least one other Jewish poster in that thread (memphis) who did not agree with him showing the obvious fact that not all Jews would react in the same way in the circumstances, and we also have plenty of other Jewish posters who don't go around screaming about how anyone who disagrees with them are Nazis, which I might add doesn't show much 'tact' either.

1. So derailing the thread further, on a completely unrelated tangent no less, is justified how exactly?
2. So there are Jews that disagree with one another on the issue and some of them might not have tact - how does that make your proselytizing any more related to the topic or imply that you don't need to have tact either?

BRTD
YaBB God
Sweden

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 10:41:01 am »
Ignore

Continuing on that line of talk after being told it's not welcome is pretty agressive behavior. The standards for what's worth what are so messed up as to not exist, so can't judge that part, but I'd infract that.

Except that has never been done to me. As noted before proselytization has never been controversial here before, if so jmfcst would've been banned a hell of a lot earlier than he actually was.

1. So derailing the thread further, on a completely unrelated tangent no less, is justified how exactly?
2. So there are Jews that disagree with one another on the issue and some of them might not have tact - how does that make your proselytizing any more related to the topic or imply that you don't need to have tact either?

1. If you read it you'll see it didn't get much more than one angry reply from NY Jew and didn't add to the thread derailing any far than it already had. And giving advice to someone engaging in insane rantings is quite common whenever it occurs on this forum, I wasn't the only one doing so.
2. It's in response to your point that the circumstances made it really inappropriate because any Jew would already be very offended at the topic being discussed, it was just one guy who was reacting that way. The one other Jew I saw in that thread who expressed disagreement (benconstine) did so in a far more rational manner. It was not NY Jew's position that was being replied to, but his manner of expressing it.

(I will also note that despite his statement of "anti semites like you have been trying to ban circumcision for almost 3,000 years." I actually agree with him in this case, in the sense that I don't see circumcision as a big deal and think attempts to ban it are pretty absurd. Also that I tend to think that uncircumcized males [typically the only people who DO make a big deal of it] tend to be just as irrational in their statements about it as NY Jew was being.)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 10:47:13 am by A Glass Can Only Spill What It Contains »Logged

Famous True Leftists:

True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 01:53:44 pm »
Ignore

Continuing on that line of talk after being told it's not welcome is pretty aggressive behavior. The standards for what's worth what are so messed up as to not exist, so can't judge that part, but I'd infract that.

Except that has never been done to me. As noted before proselytization has never been controversial here before, if so jmfcst would've been banned a hell of a lot earlier than he actually was.

As far as I recall, he never out of the blue tried to convert a single person in the manner you did.

Daily Reflections on the Revised Common Lectionary

Bible thumping kept to a minimum unless you go to sleep!
The below comic stars me!
Former Moderate
Mr. Moderate
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 11:50:55 pm »
Ignore

Remember when we laid the smack down on Bushie about trying to sell his stupid vacuum cleaners here (or whatever nonsense scam he got roped in to)? Well this fits the same category. No soliciting.

shua
YaBB God
Russian Federation

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: -4.52

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 12:09:35 am »
Ignore

Remember when we laid the smack down on Bushie about trying to sell his stupid vacuum cleaners here (or whatever nonsense scam he got roped in to)? Well this fits the same category. No soliciting.
What about trying to sell a candidate?

" But freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson WV SBE v Barnette
Former Moderate
Mr. Moderate
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 01:36:47 am »
Ignore

What about trying to sell a candidate?

Well, it's a site about political discourse, so some amount of "political" selling is to be expected. I'd assume that out-and-out hard donation requests and the like would be over the line.

BRTD
YaBB God
Sweden

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 02:09:56 am »
Ignore

So then Dibble's attempts to convert me to atheism would also be subject to infraction? (Not that I would ever report them, or was even offended, but that certainly has been "solicited" here before by multiple posters to multiple people.)

Famous True Leftists:

John Dibble
YaBB God
Japan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 09:11:15 am »
Ignore

So then Dibble's attempts to convert me to atheism would also be subject to infraction? (Not that I would ever report them, or was even offended, but that certainly has been "solicited" here before by multiple posters to multiple people.)

As I previously stated, I imagine it would depend on the topic at hand. If I had tried to convince NY Jew to convert to atheism in that particular thread, I imagine I would have been infracted as well. Just as this being a political forum grants leeway in selling a candidate, the religion board and religious topics grant leeway for selling a religious belief.

shua
YaBB God
Russian Federation

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: -4.52

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 01:33:18 pm »
Ignore

As I previously stated, I imagine it would depend on the topic at hand. If I had tried to convince NY Jew to convert to atheism in that particular thread, I imagine I would have been infracted as well. Just as this being a political forum grants leeway in selling a candidate, the religion board and religious topics grant leeway for selling a religious belief.
That thread could have just as easily been on the religion board.

" But freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson WV SBE v Barnette
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
YaBB God
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2012, 02:06:22 am »
Ignore

BRTD should accept Thor into his heart.  I know accepting the truth of the Norse pantheon has made me a much better person.

Free Bradley Manning
John Dibble
YaBB God
Japan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2012, 06:12:26 am »
Ignore

BRTD should accept Thor into his heart.  I know accepting the truth of the Norse pantheon has made me a much better person.

It's too late for that - Ragnarok is upon us! We have only a few months. The Mayans predicted it.

True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2012, 07:13:44 am »
Ignore

It's too late for that - Ragnarok is upon us! We have only a few months. The Mayans predicted it.

Fools! 2038 is when the universe ends according the the UNIX calendar.

John Dibble
YaBB God
Japan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2012, 08:15:01 am »
Ignore

UNIX was made by arrogant modern man - I learned not to trust computers to predict the end of the world after I wasted my life savings buying five tons of freeze dried lima beans to prepare for Y2K. The Mayans were ancients who were wise with the wisdom of the ancients. Or aliens. I'm not quite clear on that part.

True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2012, 08:37:07 am »
Ignore

UNIX was made by arrogant modern man - I learned not to trust computers to predict the end of the world after I wasted my life savings buying five tons of freeze dried lima beans to prepare for Y2K. The Mayans were ancients who were wise with the wisdom of the ancients. Or aliens. I'm not quite clear on that part.

It was ancient aliens.

John Dibble
YaBB God
Japan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2012, 10:18:52 am »
Ignore

It was ancient aliens.

Well that makes sense - ancient aliens built pyramids and stuff, modern aliens mutilate cows and anally probe rednecks. It seems their culture has declined just as ours has.

afleitch
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -8.17

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2012, 10:20:44 am »
Ignore

It was ancient aliens.

Well that makes sense - ancient aliens built pyramids and stuff, modern aliens mutilate cows and anally probe rednecks. It seems their culture has declined just as ours has.

It all started going downhill when they let k'razfrtikgn marry other k'razfrtikgn

Emperor Scott
Scott
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -5.74

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2012, 01:02:37 pm »
Ignore

Mr. Morden
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2012, 05:21:50 pm »
Ignore

You're going to believe a Centauri on that?

HOG & Blondie: A Tale of Atlas Future

What is your opinion of this thread?

Watch Dave being briefed by the mods.

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout