Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 18, 2014, 04:43:14 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Individual Politics (Moderators: Grad Students are the Worst, Torie, Sheriff Buford TX Justice)
| | |-+  Opinion of Ian Smith
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Poll
Question: Opinion of Ian Smith
Great Man   -1 (3.6%)
A Good Man   -5 (17.9%)
A Good but Misguided Man   -2 (7.1%)
A Bad Man   -6 (21.4%)
An Evil Man   -14 (50%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Opinion of Ian Smith  (Read 1189 times)
BritishDixie
United Kingdom

View Profile WWW
« on: July 03, 2012, 05:09:09 am »
Ignore

Discuss

Economic score: +6.58
Social score: +5.04
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -4.87

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 06:23:09 am »
Ignore

Next is, what ? Opinion of Hitler ?

Quote from: IRC
22:15   ComradeSibboleth   this is all extremely terrible and in all respects absolutely fycking dire.

It REALLY is.

"A reformist is someone who realizes that, when you bang your head on a wall, it's the head that breaks rather than the wall."

Peppino, from the movie Baaria
BritishDixie
United Kingdom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 06:27:02 am »
Ignore

Your comparing Ian Smith, a man who was nearly killed whilst flying a spitfire in World War II, and who fought with French and Italian partisans against the Germans, to Adolf Hitler, an insane, degenerate anti-semite. I have no words to express my opinion on this.

Princess Kenny
Kalwejt
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 06:38:41 am »
Ignore

Your comparing Ian Smith, a man who was nearly killed whilst flying a spitfire in World War II, and who fought with French and Italian partisans against the Germans, to Adolf Hitler, an insane, degenerate anti-semite. I have no words to express my opinion on this.

Yes, of course, because being a veteran absolves you from all future deeds Roll Eyes

BritishDixie
United Kingdom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 06:48:08 am »
Ignore

Yes, of course, because being a veteran absolves you from all future deeds Roll Eyes

I still don't get how he is evil.

oakvale
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 09:33:37 am »
Ignore

Racist fascists are generally horrible people.

Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 09:41:16 am »
Ignore

You know what I do with defenders of Racism...

They go on my ignore list

(Yeah, a bit lame and all but it is, unfortunately, the internet. It's a bit pointless to shout "f-ck off" to a screen).

Keith R Laws ‏@Keith_Laws  Feb 4
As I have noted before 'paradigm shift' is an anagram of 'grasp dim faith'

RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 09:49:49 am »
Ignore

7.35, 3.65

« Les plus nobles principes du monde ne valent que par l’action.  » - Charles de Gaulle

Is it excessive to hold a politician's feet to the fire for giving his base the run around at every turn?
hawkeye59
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 09:51:24 am »
Ignore

though I have to say, he was the obvious person to rule RHODESia.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.  So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.-Jack Layton 1950-2011
A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on-John F. Kennedy 1917-1963
BritishDixie
United Kingdom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 09:52:13 am »
Ignore

This genuinely surprises me. I am yet to be convinced he was a fascist.

Yelnoc
YaBB God
United States
View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 10:45:17 am »
Ignore

I feel obliged to mention that Hitler was a World War One veteran.

Goodbye
ChairmanSanchez
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

P

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 11:18:15 am »
Ignore

I think he was seriously misguided, but did not have the intentions that Hitler, or any other genocidal loon, for that matter, held. He not that was great compared to Mugabe, but I would still prefer him.

If a burial strikes my family as too practical, I'd go for either a viking funeral on one of the Great Lakes or to be sealed up in a tomb with my closest servants and bang-maids so they may wait on my every need in the afterlife.
BritishDixie
United Kingdom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 11:19:14 am »
Ignore

I feel obliged to mention that Hitler was a World War One veteran.

My point is that Ian Smith wasn't a fascist. He didn't have to join the RAF to fight Nazism, but he did, and put himself at great personal risk.

Zioneer
PioneerProgress
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 04:06:36 pm »
Ignore

This genuinely surprises me. I am yet to be convinced he was a fascist.

I personally don't think he was a fascist, but he was an authoritarian racist scumbag to say the least.
SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 08:14:32 pm »
Ignore

I think he was seriously misguided, but did not have the intentions that Hitler, or any other genocidal loon, for that matter, held.

Pretty much this. I'll vote Bad Man, but not Evil Man.

asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 11:46:20 pm »
Ignore

Somewhere between Bad and Evil, but I'll exercise compassion and say Bad for now.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
FreedomFighter
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2012, 10:09:51 am »
Ignore

Ian Smith was just a racist baby killer, who hated freedom fighters like Mugabe, who wanted to get rid of another regime which was just a Reagan white American stooge.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2012, 10:44:26 am »
Ignore

Ian Smith was just a racist baby killer, who hated freedom fighters like Mugabe, who wanted to get rid of another regime which was just a Reagan white American stooge.

Of course, Mugabe wasn't (and isn't) that much of a nice himself. He's a dictator and a racist who can't even run his own country very well. Both Ian Smith and Robert Mugabe are/were terrible people.
FreedomFighter
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2012, 10:52:16 am »
Ignore

Of course, Mugabe wasn't (and isn't) that much of a nice himself. He's a dictator and a racist who can't even run his own country very well. Both Ian Smith and Robert Mugabe are/were terrible people.

At least Mugabe is justified in his racism. White people (me included) have a lot to answer for due to their rape of native peoples.
SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2012, 11:06:45 am »
Ignore

At least Mugabe is justified in his racism. White people (me included) have a lot to answer for due to their rape of native peoples.

Are you saying racism is justified? Under any circumstances, it isn't.

BritishDixie
United Kingdom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2012, 11:08:26 am »
Ignore

Of course it is! As a self respecting leftist, he knows that racism expressed by ethnic minorities is good, as he thinks white people deserve it.

SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2012, 11:12:05 am »
Ignore

Of course it is! As a self respecting leftist, he knows that racism expressed by ethnic minorities is good, as he thinks white people deserve it.

But he is white... I've never really understood AA either, so I guess it goes in line with that.

BritishDixie
United Kingdom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2012, 11:16:48 am »
Ignore

But he is white... I've never really understood AA either, so I guess it goes in line with that.

Then he's obviously insane.

SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2012, 11:23:58 am »
Ignore

Then he's obviously insane.

Seems logical.

freefair
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2012, 11:29:33 am »
Ignore

Less Bad than Mugabe, but still Bad. Not truly, manically evil , however.

If you're centrist to right wing do follow this link and participate in this timelime poll!!
http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=186153.0
PM- Ecn +4.95 Soc -4.95
Pragmatically libertarian. Centrist by US standards, Tory in UK.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout