Joe Walsh: Duckworth not a "true hero."
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:07:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Joe Walsh: Duckworth not a "true hero."
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Joe Walsh: Duckworth not a "true hero."  (Read 3321 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 03, 2012, 04:13:29 PM »

Another day, another offensive comment from Joe Walsh.

[quote]
Rep. Joe Walsh (R-Ill.) on Sunday accused his Democratic opponent Tammy Duckworth -- a double-amputee veteran of the Iraq War -- of not being a "true hero" because she made her military service central to her campaign.

After calling Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) a "noble hero" for downplaying his military experience during a 2008 presidential bid, Walsh shifted gears to Duckworth at an Elk Grove, Ill., town hall.

Duckworth lost both her legs after Iraqi insurgents hit her helicopter with a rocket propelled grenade in 2004. She is now challenging incumbent Walsh in Illinois' re-drawn 8th Congressional district.

"Now I'm running against a woman who, my God, that's all she talks about," said Walsh, a Tea Party freshman. "Our true heroes, it's the last thing in the world they talk about."
timothyinMD

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 04:15:56 PM »

I read this article today.  Tammy is a heroic American for serving 20 years in the Army, at great personal sacrifice however it is very unbecoming of the uniform to prance around bragging about being a war hero in order to win election to Congress.  Talk about the issues ma'am, don't try to play on sympathy.
kenyanobama
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.52, S: 9.48

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 04:18:35 PM »

I read this article today.  Tammy is a heroic American for serving 20 years in the Army, at great personal sacrifice however it is very unbecoming of the uniform to prance around bragging about being a war hero in order to win election to Congress.  Talk about the issues ma'am, don't try to play on sympathy.

I agree. Though the loss of Walsh wouldn't be too great: he's a lib.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 05:25:49 PM »

Ok, there's no way you're a serious poster.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 05:50:12 PM »

Haha, seriously? There's no way you aren't a troll.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 07:19:23 PM »

In 1996, he may have had a point but to call him liberal now is ridiculous.

Which looks best?

59-40
62-37
65-34
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 07:23:11 PM »

I think she wins by a similar margin that Brad Ellsworth won by in IN-8 in 2006. 62-37 sounds correct.
kenyanobama
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 07:26:24 PM »

Joe Walsh is NOT a social conservative. This is a FACT.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 07:27:46 PM »
« Edited: July 03, 2012, 07:47:07 PM by Senator Scott »

I read this article today.  Tammy is a heroic American for serving 20 years in the Army, at great personal sacrifice however it is very unbecoming of the uniform to prance around bragging about being a war hero in order to win election to Congress.  Talk about the issues ma'am, don't try to play on sympathy.

But when John McCain brings up his war record, it's perfectly okay, right?

I honestly have no problem with political candidates bringing up their service records.  It's never the deciding factor for who I support, but having the courage to make those sacrifices indubitably qualifies someone for public office.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 10:00:31 PM »

I read this article today.  Tammy is a heroic American for serving 20 years in the Army, at great personal sacrifice however it is very unbecoming of the uniform to prance around bragging about being a war hero in order to win election to Congress.  Talk about the issues ma'am, don't try to play on sympathy.

But when John McCain brings up his war record, it's perfectly okay, right?

I honestly have no problem with political candidates bringing up their service records.  It's never the deciding factor for who I support, but having the courage to make those sacrifices indubitably qualifies someone for public office.

This.

Duckworth has a great record on veterans issues because she has faced those types of challenges herself; its perfectly fine for her to run on her record.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 10:20:06 PM »

Even if it were a FACT--which it's not, it's an opinion--not being purely conservative on every issue does not automatically make one a 'lib'.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 10:36:09 PM »

Even if it were a FACT--which it's not, it's an opinion--not being purely conservative on every issue does not automatically make one a 'lib'.

Yes, a lot Republicans on here even have negative or moderate PM social scores.
kenyanobama
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 11:01:11 PM »

These people then aren't going to be part if the future of the Republican party. You "big-tenters" can have 'em!
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 11:19:57 PM »

YOU- JOE WALSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 YOU CHICKENHAWK c**nt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO DUCKWORTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!COURAGE TO RISK HER LIFE FOR THIS COUNTRY....COMPARED TO THIS TEA PARTY PIECE OF sh**t
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 11:33:58 PM »

These people then aren't going to be part if the future of the Republican party. You "big-tenters" can have 'em!

We'll gladly accept them, in your party's apparently desired future of being an irrelevant hard kernel of about thirty to forty per cent of the vote in each election.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2012, 12:30:05 PM »

YOU- JOE WALSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 YOU CHICKENHAWK c**nt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO DUCKWORTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!COURAGE TO RISK HER LIFE FOR THIS COUNTRY....COMPARED TO THIS TEA PARTY PIECE OF sh**t

Uh, did someone hack your account, or are you in favor of Duckworth over Walsh?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2012, 01:04:01 PM »

Well, Clarence is a veteran himself and he has a strong passion for these sorts of things, to say the least.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2012, 01:27:30 PM »

Well, Clarence is a veteran himself and he has a strong passion for these sorts of things, to say the least.

Yeah, Clarence isn't a fan of Saxby Chambliss either, for example.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2012, 02:17:12 PM »

Isn't Chambliss the guy who basically portrayed a triple-amputee Vietnam vet as being weak on homeland security, war, and terrorism and all that jazz? If Clarence is a vet, I can see why he'd be so angry about that and Walsh. From what I hear ( from ThinkProgress, so you might need to take it with a grain of salt), even Walsh's claims that he called Duckworth a hero is false.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2012, 04:36:26 PM »

I feel as if he's said this before.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2012, 04:45:15 PM »

Isn't Chambliss the guy who basically portrayed a triple-amputee Vietnam vet as being weak on homeland security, war, and terrorism and all that jazz? If Clarence is a vet, I can see why he'd be so angry about that and Walsh. From what I hear ( from ThinkProgress, so you might need to take it with a grain of salt), even Walsh's claims that he called Duckworth a hero is false.

Running TV ads trying to show his triple amputee and decorated (Silver Star, Bronze Star) Vietnam vet opponent as weak on homeland security/national defense by portraying him next to bin Laden and Hussein, ads that were "beyond offensive" and "worse than disgraceful, it's reprehensible" to a pair of conservative Republican Senators (Hagel & McCain). Chambliss is a real classy guy, isn't he?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2012, 05:11:14 PM »

I really don't want to get infracted. Therefore, I just say: "what Clarence said".

Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2012, 07:43:18 PM »

Clarence often crosses the metaphorical aisle for Democrats who are veterans and perceived as moderates or even non-flaky liberals.
hopper
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2012, 08:47:26 PM »

I knew she served in the armed forces but I didn't know she lost both of her legs until I read this thread. I feel for her about that.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2012, 07:29:57 AM »

I really don't want to get infracted. Therefore, I just say: "what Clarence said".

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies