Opinion of the USA! (Split) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:03:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of the USA! (Split) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: For its birthday!!!
Freedom Country (American)

Freedom Country (Non-American)

Horrible Country (American)

Horrible Country (Non-American)

Neutral (American)

Neutral (Non-American)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 79

Author Topic: Opinion of the USA! (Split)  (Read 5782 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« on: July 04, 2012, 03:39:25 PM »

I love how only Americans think it's a horrible country, aha.

Foreigners are too polite to criticize.  My reaction to the place is rather visceral.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 03:56:14 PM »

My reaction to the place is rather visceral.

Have you considered becoming a naturalized Thai subject?   

No, of course not.  What would be the point of that?  Nothing about changing citizenship would make the Bad Place any better, or make me any less the product of it.  I'm quite happy merely avoiding it, and warning others of its deleterious influence.

In any case it is very nearly impossible (the only people who become Thai subjects/citizens are very rich people who have very important friends in Thailand - it would certainly be impossible for me).
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 04:15:59 PM »

The epitome of middleness. Neither great nor horrible.

Hmm.  I don't see that.  If America isn't extreme, I don't know what is.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 01:16:38 PM »

Have you considered becoming a naturalized Thai subject?   

They probably won't allow him....another reason why America is better.

The most desirable country club is the one you can't get into, not the one you can.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 05:14:10 PM »

And no, the best country club is the one that the most people want to get into. That club may or may not be highly restrictive, but that's irrelevant except to the extent that it effects the number of people who want to enter.

Buddy, 'most people' or 'the most people' liking something is virtually a guarantee I will despise it - and the idea that good taste is a characteristic of a minority is a truism.  'The most people' like a Macdonalds - does that make it the best restaurant?

Two reforms would move America much closer to being a true freedom country in the sense that everybody had a fair chance. Universal health care and governemt paid tuition at all state colleges. The lack of free education to the poor and the lower middle class is the number one problem for social mobility and a giant waste óf human potential.

Good suggestions - but putting in place a confiscatory income tax on the wealthy is actually necessary as well in order to reduce stratification ('opportunity' simply won't do it, you have to knock the permanent aristocracy down a peg).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies