Opinion of the USA! (Split) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:45:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of the USA! (Split) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: For its birthday!!!
Freedom Country (American)

Freedom Country (Non-American)

Horrible Country (American)

Horrible Country (Non-American)

Neutral (American)

Neutral (Non-American)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 79

Author Topic: Opinion of the USA! (Split)  (Read 5807 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« on: July 05, 2012, 06:18:49 AM »
« edited: July 05, 2012, 06:21:45 AM by President Polnut »

Lots of flaws, certainly not infallible, but has a lot of very good people and certainly a net positive influence on the world.

Could tone down the nationalism a little... frankly, I'd rather be part of a good country as opposed to a great one (or one that feels the constant need to remind themselves about it)...

polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 04:20:21 AM »

The quality of its political leaders is not something you can separate from the appreciation of a country.

Perhaps. I like to believe if more of my fellow countrymen were better informed, or just cared enough to pay a little more attention, they'd be eager to vote for people who'd fix things.

As someone who studied in the US... and was, honestly, horrified by how myopic so many Americans were, I think a broader perspective is definitely needed.

A friend of mine who's a teacher in IL, is really disturbed by how they teach the American Revolution as purely, democracy vs tyranny... rather than be honest, that it was actually incredibly complex and doesn't go into the background as to why Britain did what it did etc etc...

America is a great country, full of really good people, the story about American social mobility is increasingly a myth, America is as strata-fied as any European or Western Country for that matter. I think what might irritate people abroad is the idea that the US is the pinnacle of democracy... last time I checked... most western countries have free and fair elections... freedom of the press etc etc...

Just because you're flawed, as all countries are in their own ways, doesn't mean you aren't great... you're just not the best at everything... some countries do do things better than you... but you do other things better than them... it's not a contest.

polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 04:23:52 AM »

I'm surprised to see Freedom County winning, among both Americans and non-Americans.

You listen to conservative pundits too much...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies