Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 30, 2014, 04:08:42 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Individual Politics (Moderators: Grad Students are the Worst, Torie, Sheriff Buford TX Justice)
| | |-+  Opinion of the Australian system for electing party leaders
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: Huh
Freedom System   -4 (26.7%)
Horrible System   -11 (73.3%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 15

Author Topic: Opinion of the Australian system for electing party leaders  (Read 710 times)
You kip if you want to...
change08
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« on: July 04, 2012, 07:50:26 pm »
Ignore

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leadership_spill

Horrendous system.

The constant revolving door of leaders on the federal and state level is a joke!

RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 08:51:38 pm »
Ignore

Horrendous system. Use a delegated convention.

7.35, 3.65

« Les plus nobles principes du monde ne valent que par l’action.  »

- Charles de Gaulle

Is it excessive to hold a politician's feet to the fire for giving his base the run around at every turn?
morgieb
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 04:06:03 am »
Ignore

Without it Abbott would never have gotten momentum, so HS.
Vosem
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 05:31:19 pm »
Ignore

Any member being able to start a spill is a little extreme, but FS on the whole.
RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 06:08:30 pm »
Ignore

Any member being able to start a spill is a little extreme, but FS on the whole.

I'll modify what I said earlier. To have the leader elected solely by caucus under normal circumstances is a bad idea. Membership should get a say too. But caucus should definitely have a right to replace the leader if they feel it necessary, hence why the idea of spills is a good one. But use them sparingly. Replacing Hawke with Keating and Turnbull with Abbott were good ideas and absolutely necessary. What the Liberals did in the '80s and Lab in the past decade were horrible ideas. Is there a credible reason? Is there a credible challenger? Is the challenger a proven quantity who can outperform the incumbent? Only if all those conditions are fulfilled do you pull the trigger.

7.35, 3.65

« Les plus nobles principes du monde ne valent que par l’action.  »

- Charles de Gaulle

Is it excessive to hold a politician's feet to the fire for giving his base the run around at every turn?
Sibboleth Bist
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 08:11:20 pm »
Ignore

Not very democratic, to say the least. But you'd have a revolving door leader situation no matter what system, because that's what Australian political culture is like.

Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: 0.35

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 09:00:33 am »
Ignore

Not a very good system to say the least.

Being a Libertarian is like having a fever, either you sweat it out or you die from it.
change08
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 09:12:23 am »
Ignore

Not very democratic, to say the least. But you'd have a revolving door leader situation no matter what system, because that's what Australian political culture is like.

But I guess that's a chicken and egg thing. Is the culture like that because it's so easy to get rid of the leader?

morgieb
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 09:14:27 am »
Ignore

But I guess that's a chicken and egg thing. Is the culture like that because it's so easy to get rid of the leader?

Yes, plus everyone is so focused on opinion polls down under.
BlueDog Bumble
Rookie
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 09:20:39 am »
Ignore

I've noticed from my cursory knowledge of Australian politics that most Australian party leaders seem to fall in leadership challenges, whereas this virtually never happens in Canadian politics (the only case I can think of where this happened was when Stockwell Day defeated Preston Manning for the leadership of the CA).

Economic score: +5.03
Social score: +1.74

"Every human being makes mistakes"

"A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at?"

"Canada is the only country founded on the relentless pursuit of the rodent"
change08
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 09:30:34 am »
Ignore

I've noticed from my cursory knowledge of Australian politics that most Australian party leaders seem to fall in leadership challenges, whereas this virtually never happens in Canadian politics (the only case I can think of where this happened was when Stockwell Day defeated Preston Manning for the leadership of the CA).

It's only ever really happened to Heath and Thatcher in the UK as well (in a direct, open challenge).

Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 10:40:20 am »
Ignore

Objectively hilarious.
change08
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 12:48:36 pm »
Ignore

Objectively hilarious.

This too, of course.

PASOK Leader Hashemite
Hashemite
Moderators
YaBB God
South Africa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 04:57:36 pm »
Ignore

PC 1983? Alliance 2002?

BlueDog Bumble
Rookie
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2012, 09:31:39 am »
Ignore

PC 1983? Alliance 2002?

Ah yes I remember the Alliance in '02. But it's not really the same in 1983, as Clark himself called the election, rather being forced into one like say in Britain in 1990 with Thatcher.

Economic score: +5.03
Social score: +1.74

"Every human being makes mistakes"

"A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at?"

"Canada is the only country founded on the relentless pursuit of the rodent"
Platypus
hughento
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2012, 06:42:44 am »
Ignore

Not ideal, but dynamism is important, and it has managed to keep the Presidentialisation of Australian politics vaguely in check...vaguely...

only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2012, 04:00:46 am »
Ignore

Evidently spills wouldn't be called as often if they weren't as likely to succeed even if the rules were what they are. In Germany party leaders have to be reelected every year (at a convention - this silly confusion of party and caucus leadership in English-tradition parliaments is hard to wrap your mind around) and how often are they actually challenged? Not often. Instead, we read the tealeaves on their reelection with only 83% Yes votes.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout