why blue dogs are important (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:51:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  why blue dogs are important (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: why blue dogs are important  (Read 1942 times)
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« on: July 05, 2012, 02:44:03 AM »
« edited: July 05, 2012, 03:18:54 AM by smoltchanov »

Excellent post above! Hatred (mostly - irrational, the only argument i heard was "how dare they??!!") of "blue dogs" on Democratic sites and "RINO's" - on Republican surpasses all thinkable and unthinkable limits))) Many times i wrote something similar both on democratic and republican sites. Net results - bannings both here and there (SSP, DKE, RRH come to mind quickly). That's what a democracy is for "ideologically pure"... Everyone there considers himself and only himself 100% right, and opponent - 100% wrong. Very sad.. What for such sites exist in such case? As pure "echo chambers"? What for parties exist if all they want is to hear from "the pure"Huh?
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 03:58:13 AM »

you just don't get it do you? My idea is that every democrat could essentially be a Maurice Hinchey or Barney Frank but would only show it on occasion. It doesn't matter if you have 230 or 290 democratic members. All that matters is that the legislation passes. The idea is to only propose one major controversial bill each session so the democrats from conservative districts can vote for them but also vote conservative on other issues so it can obscure your voting record.

My idea is not to have a bunch of Larry McDonalds or John Raricks on the house floor but rather to have a lot more Bart Gordons or John Spratts. By that I mean guys who were probably unabashed liberals but were able to conceal it for the most part and stay entrenched for decades on end.

IMHO - both "yes" and "no". More precisely: "dependent on district". Spratt's district (now, in slightly modified form - Mulvaney's) gave Obama about 44% of vote. For such districts your strategy will work: people there will tend to forgive a "liberal apostasy" on part of their congressman if it will happen infrequently. But for some districts, which Democratic "Blue dogs"even managed to win in 2007-08 (Minnick's, Childers's, Cazayoux's Bright's) - unlikely. Uning your own words - they need Larry McDonald's and John Rarick's, not Spratt's and Gordon's. And such democrats are extremely rare now (i really temped to have something like "census" and find - which really conservative Democrats and really liberal Republicans still exist in elective offices)..
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies