Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 21, 2014, 09:27:56 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Gustaf, MasterJedi)
| | |-+  SENATE BILL: The Senate Committee on National Security...Resolution (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: The Senate Committee on National Security...Resolution (Passed)  (Read 928 times)
Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: July 05, 2012, 12:17:44 am »
Ignore

The Senate Committee on National Security Creation Resolution

This resolution shall create the Committee on National Security as a Standing Committee of the Atlasian Senate.  The Committee shall have jurisdiction over all legislation, treaties, and nominations related to national security, the armed services, foreign affairs, and any other indirectly related issues as determined by the Senate.

The President of the Senate shall open nominations for committee membership at the start of each session, for a period of seventy-two hours.  The Senate shall then select three of the nominees to serve on the Committee.

Once selected, the Committee members shall select the Chairman from amongst themselves. The Chairman shall open the thread and preside over all hearings and functions of the Committee.

The Chairman may be replaced by the President of the Senate, if he has been absent longer than a week.  If the Chairman takes an announced leave of absence, the replacement shall only serve until the Senator's return.

If a member of the committee resigns his position on the committee, or leaves the Senate, the full Senate shall select a replacement.

Sponsor: Ben
Slot: Forum Affairs/Emergency  b/c I want slot 4 for something else.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 01:38:16 pm by Senator North Carolina Yankee »Logged

He's BACK!!! His Time Has Come Once Again! Now We're All Gonna Die! No One is Safe From His Wrath!

Warner for President '16
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 12:22:42 am »
Ignore

Foreign policy often gets ignored in the Senate, largely because only a small subset of the Senate is actually interested in these issues.  I view the SCNS as a way to create interest in foreign affairs, by sending bills to be debated in committee before taking the one slot designated for foreign affairs.  It will also give us a chance to hammer out issues impeding passage of legislation so that, once on the floor of the full Senate, a bill takes up less time.

I probably missed something, but this is basically why we should pass this.

Obama High's debate team:

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.03, S: -8.96

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 12:33:29 am »
Ignore

I don't speak for the DoEA anymore, but it makes sense and should lead to the creation of more and better foreign policy bills.

Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 12:40:10 am »
Ignore

Would the committee hold an up-or-down vote on legislation for it to reach the Senate, or would they be taken up by the Senate, regardless?
Warner for President '16
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 01:45:18 pm »
Ignore

I haven't considered that.  I would prefer we send a bill no matter what, but with a recommendation, like with confirmations.

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 11:20:21 pm »
Ignore

I agree, the Senate in this game has to little legislation for bills to be "killed in committee".

He's BACK!!! His Time Has Come Once Again! Now We're All Gonna Die! No One is Safe From His Wrath!

Redalgo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 06:32:52 pm »
Ignore

I'll be fully on-board with this so long as there's a provision in there to ensure bills cannot be killed in committee - just to rule out any potential for that. All around, it sounds like a great idea to me. *nods*

"I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to see realized." ~ Nelson Mandela
Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 06:36:07 pm »
Ignore

I agree that legislation should not be killed in committee, but I'm concerned that committees may try to stall legislation to prevent them from going to the Senate.

I am proposing this amendment-
Legislation may only be considered by the committee for a maximum of seven days before being forwarded to the Senate.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 12:24:07 pm by Senator Scott »Logged
Warner for President '16
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 08:03:37 pm »
Ignore

Friendly

Warner for President '16
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 12:19:11 pm »
Ignore

Final vote?

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 12:35:57 pm »
Ignore

huh?

The amendment hasn't even been considered yet, more or less adopted. Huh

Warner for President '16
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 02:43:48 pm »
Ignore

Sorry, got my times mixed up.

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 07:30:03 am »
Ignore

Quote from: Current Text

This resolution shall create the Committee on National Security as a Standing Committee of the Atlasian Senate.  The Committee shall have jurisdiction over all legislation, treaties, and nominations related to national security, the armed services, foreign affairs, and any other indirectly related issues as determined by the Senate.

The President of the Senate shall open nominations for committee membership at the start of each session, for a period of seventy-two hours.  The Senate shall then select three of the nominees to serve on the Committee.

Once selected, the Committee members shall select the Chairman from amongst themselves. The Chairman shall open the thread and preside over all hearings and functions of the Committee.

The Chairman may be replaced by the President of the Senate, if he has been absent longer than a week.  If the Chairman takes an announced leave of absence, the replacement shall only serve until the Senator's return.

If a member of the committee resigns his position on the committee, or leaves the Senate, the full Senate shall select a replacement.

Legislation may only be considered by the committee for a maximum of seven days before being forwarded to the Senate.

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 08:35:12 am »
Ignore

Quote from: Amendment 50:08 by NC Yankee

This resolution shall create the Committee on National Security as a Standing Committee of the Atlasian Senate.  The Committee shall have jurisdiction over all legislation, treaties, and nominations related to national security, the armed services, foreign affairs, and any other indirectly related issues as determined by the Senate.

The President of the Senate shall open nominations for committee membership at the start of each session, for a period of seventy-two hours.  The Senate shall then select three of the nominees to serve on the Committee.

Once selected, the Committee members shall select the Chairman from amongst themselves. The Chairman shall open the thread and preside over all hearings and functions of the Committee. The Chairman may be replaced by the President of the Senate, if he has been absent longer than a week.  If the Chairman takes an announced leave of absence, the replacement shall only serve until the Senator's return.

The Chairman may be replaced by the President of the Senate, if he has been absent longer than a week.  If the Chairman takes an announced leave of absence, the replacement shall only serve until the Senator's return.

Sponsor Feedback: No Such Number!

Warner for President '16
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 12:57:28 pm »
Ignore

Friendly

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 08:40:17 am »
Ignore

Senators have 24 hours to object.

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 07:13:32 am »
Ignore

The amendment has passed.

Final vote time?

Warner for President '16
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2012, 08:50:18 am »
Ignore

Yes, please.

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, 09:06:50 am »
Ignore

Senators, this bill is now at final vote, please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2012, 09:10:02 am »
Ignore

Aye

Redalgo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2012, 09:50:10 am »
Ignore

Aye

"I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to see realized." ~ Nelson Mandela
Warner for President '16
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2012, 09:58:25 am »
Ignore

Aye

Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2012, 12:11:16 pm »
Ignore

Aye.
clarence
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2012, 12:17:57 pm »