SENATE BILL: The Less Than HONORable Service Preclu...Benefits Act (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:39:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: The Less Than HONORable Service Preclu...Benefits Act (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: The Less Than HONORable Service Preclu...Benefits Act (Law'd)  (Read 4518 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 05, 2012, 12:27:47 AM »
« edited: August 01, 2012, 11:57:50 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Clarence
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 12:32:32 AM »

24 hours to advocate for this Clarence.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 12:43:08 AM »

Clarence, aren't basically all benefits lost by a BCD already? I think that all VA benefits except for disability compensation (only lost by DD) are already lost, but I'm not sure.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 12:44:26 AM »

I strongly support this bill.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 05:08:22 PM »

Is it possible for a service-person to get an OTH discharge for actions of theirs morally justifiable within the bounds of reason? My main concern with this legislation as it stands is it may steeply punish good deeds, encouraging unwavering discipline to regulations instead of heroic virtuosity in individual initiative. Though perhaps there may be a handful of reasons not to encourage that kind of behavior?

I'm still on the fence in regards to this bill but am leaning in the direction of opposition for suspicion that one size here doesn't fit all, so to speak.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 05:11:02 PM »

Is it possible for a service-person to get an OTH discharge for actions of theirs morally justifiable within the bounds of reason?

Would you provide an example?  I don't think a service member would be discharged if their actions were morally sound.
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 06:23:06 PM »

Only a few examples came to mind, which is why I felt so inclined as to ask out of curiosity.

Via potentially unreliable sources I found instances of these reasons for OTH discharges:

- Expressing willingness to follow orders issued by POTUS only if they're lawful.
- Circumventing the DRMO with good intentions to avoid failing in their mission.
- Going AWOL to avoid being murdered by a fellow soldier after official channels failed.
- Asking for help to break a painkiller addiction formed after an injury suffered while serving.

On an aside note it would also seem bad to me to punish those with OTH discharges for:

- Being falsely accused of a crime (e.g. indecent assault, domestic abuse).
- Failing a UA due to having unknowingly ingested a controlled substance.
- Having sexual relations with another service-person, outside of ones crumbling marriage.
- Being outed as gay before it was acceptable (if this applies to those already discharged).

There may be other circumstances out there. The thought I appear to be skirting around with this all is the guidelines for what the service branches believe makes for an excellent solider may not be entirely the same as what we as political leaders believe makes for a citizen who is worthy of receiving benefits following their time served in the armed forces. What do you think?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 06:32:54 PM »

Interesting points, Redalgo.

Clarence, would we presume that discharged soldiers will have the opportunity to appeal to a court so as to protect their benefits?  Ideally, the government should be able to review these things by a case-by-case scenario in case the ends justify the means or if someone is wrongly discharged for something.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 07:37:38 PM »

Wait, is this bill getting tabled if Clarence is away for the next week?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 08:09:10 PM »

Clarence, would we presume that discharged soldiers will have the opportunity to appeal to a court so as to protect their benefits?  Ideally, the government should be able to review these things by a case-by-case scenario in case the ends justify the means or if someone is wrongly discharged for something.

Those slated to receive an OTH discharge are guaranteed (by the Uniform Code of Military Justice) the right to appeal to an administrative discharge board, which is similar to a court-martial but is not done publicly, if that takes care of it.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 09:11:52 PM »

Those slated to receive an OTH discharge are guaranteed (by the Uniform Code of Military Justice) the right to appeal to an administrative discharge board, which is similar to a court-martial but is not done publicly, if that takes care of it.

I think that ought to suffice.  What do you think, Redalgo?
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 09:31:20 PM »

I reckon at least a handful of people will still fall through the cracks, so to speak, and that justice as I happen to see it will not always be done if this bill is enacted. However, I'll make an effort to abstain from being entrenched in that perspective until I've heard from every Senator with an opinion to express on this legislation. In the meanwhile there is plenty to ruminate over. One way or another, I'll almost certainly have some reservations about how I choose to vote on this later on.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 06:09:13 AM »
« Edited: July 07, 2012, 09:30:37 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Wait, is this bill getting tabled if Clarence is away for the next week?

Only if the Senate votes to table it. It is a policy meant to discourage absenteism amongst sponsors. I made an exception once already for Clarence, as much as I like him though this time I feel obligated to move forward with motioning to table this bill. If we keep making exceptions the whole point of doing it will become meaningless.

Chances are I will vote against tabling it myself when it comes time to vote on it. I typically vote no on them in general.

I motion to table this bill.

Edit: I change my mind. Clarence did post he would be gone and I did give a blanket exception for LOA's with no stated limit on the number of times. But some kind of action has to be done to discourage absenteeism amongst sponsors. Think of the impact on amendment consideration if a sponsor of a bill on the floor is gone for such a long period of time. Every amendment offered here will have to go to a vote because their is now way to use the alternative process without the primary sponsor. Perhaps we could allow the PPT to push back legislation if a Senator knows in advance he will be gone for a long period. There is only limited discretion regarding some of the lower slots, but the top few (1-5) specifically require that the next piece of legislation be brought up as it comes open. Using the other slots, this can be manipulated, which is ironically how I brought this to the floor. I didn't realize Clarence was gone and for such a long time till afterwards. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 07:19:47 AM »

This can be brought to a final vote as soon as someone calls for it.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 09:06:13 AM »

I call for a final vote.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2012, 07:36:58 AM »

Senators, this bill is now at final vote, please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2012, 11:05:12 AM »

If I understand correctly, no one wanted to address Senator Redalgo's expressed concerns? I am not likely to sign this bill if OTH discharge is for matters such as he listed.
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2012, 12:39:30 PM »

Alas, it would've been extremely helpful to have Clarence here to discuss this at greater length.

Nay
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2012, 01:14:21 PM »

Aye
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2012, 02:12:30 PM »

Nay
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2012, 02:22:45 PM »

Abstain.

I support the bill's intentions, but as Redalgo said, Clarence's input would have been helpful.  Perhaps this can be reintroduced.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2012, 09:29:37 PM »

Can we halt the vote?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2012, 07:47:34 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Indeed it can be, but I would like to know for sure whether something will come up if at is will take several days to engage in this process, amend the bill, and then restart the vote.

Is an amendment to be forthcoming? I would suggest the sponsor communicate with the Senator who has raised some issues here. 
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2012, 12:55:42 PM »

I appreciate Redalgo's concerns... as far as I am aware to still be the case- those discharged under OTH conditions have an appeal along the lines of a court martial and this is after extensive coordination high up the chain of command

As for the procedure- I appreciate you continuing this bill on the floor in my absence NC Yankee and would like to see if my statement above addressed Redalgo's concerns. If so- perhaps we can continue with the vote ongoing

Also- AYE
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2012, 01:27:52 PM »
« Edited: July 16, 2012, 01:31:52 PM by Redalgo »

One of my reservations is that, if OTH appeals go to a court-martial like setting and revolve around whether or not an individual adhered to the regs laid out by the armed forces, the military's codified interpretation of what is right and wrong (which I fear may be somewhat inflexible, severe, and non-permissive of victimless acts relative to mine) will determine whether one gets important benefits - some of which I consider rights rather than privileges - as a civilian once the person in question is expelled from the armed forces. At this time what I would like to know is why I should trust the current appeals process not to occasionally make victims of some service-people who did in fact serve honorably but nonetheless, due to one technicality or another, failed to measure up to the military's scrupulous standards? What can we do to reduce that risk?

With respect, my vote will remain "nay" on this bill unless the problem is further addressed and remedied.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies