Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2014, 03:17:00 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Gustaf, MasterJedi)
| | |-+  SENATE BILL: The Less Than HONORable Service Preclu...Benefits Act (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: The Less Than HONORable Service Preclu...Benefits Act (Law'd)  (Read 1738 times)
President John Hay
clarence
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2012, 02:03:05 pm »
Ignore

I understand your point Redalgo but can't help but think we are coming here from different planets... you use the words "failed to measure up to the military's scrupulous standards" as though the military ought to lower its standards or make them more flexible. The reality is- the military has rules and procedures that must be followed to the letter or the military does not function. Do I agree with every OTH discharge- hell no!!! Take the Tea Party Marine who made a FaceBook page criticizing Obama. He got himself an OTH discharge and my bill would preclude him from VA benefits. I agree with him politically and believe the standard was harsh- but he broke the Uniform Code of Military Justice and went thru the tried system of military justice

I'd be more then willing to discuss legislation to amend the UCMJ...there are certain behaviors I agree do not warrant severe punitive action. Butas it stands- the law governing the military is clear and I believe benefits should be limited to those who serve without crossing well-identified lines. I believe in allowing certain leeway which is why those who received general discharges are still permitted to receive benefits

Governor TJ
TJ in Cleve
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2012, 10:24:52 pm »
Ignore

Aye

Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2012, 08:00:11 am »
Ignore

The vote has several days left and I will refrain from closing it until it expires or a desire to amend this bill has surfaced, at which point I will halt the vote.

Aye for now.

He's BACK!!! His Time Has Come Once Again! Now We're All Gonna Die! No One is Safe From His Wrath!

Sheriff Buford TX Justice
AndrewCT
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2012, 08:46:13 am »
Ignore

Aye

My parents are pretty good about smelling a rat. 
Let me put this as clear as I can (saying this to myself, as well, so I can see it): I WILL get a job with CADD and I WILL keep the job.
Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2012, 11:16:54 pm »
Ignore

Changing my vote to Aye.
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2012, 08:37:40 am »
Ignore

Changing mine to abstain for procedural matters.

Like Reid's Nay vote on the Disclose Act. Tongue

He's BACK!!! His Time Has Come Once Again! Now We're All Gonna Die! No One is Safe From His Wrath!

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2012, 07:16:37 am »
Ignore

Two days until I close the vote.

Sbane
sbane
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2012, 03:15:43 pm »
Ignore

Nay
Senator JCL and the geologist
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2012, 04:03:05 pm »
Ignore

Why can gays be allowed to do their gay pride parade stuff in uniform when Tea Party folk and anti-war vets like Adam Kokesh are getting the book thrown at them? If the gay community can have such rights the Tea Party and anti-war vets should too. The law is good but the enforcement seem to be more understanding of leftist causes over conservative and libertarian ones.

Congressional Races
Jackie Walorski (R/IN-2)
Marlin Stutzman (R/IN-3)
Todd Rokita (R/IN-4)
Chard Reid (Lib/IN-5)
Luke Messer (R/IN-6)
Tom Massie (R/KY-4)
David Brat (R/VA-7)
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2012, 01:57:17 am »
Ignore

Nay
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2012, 08:59:44 am »
Ignore

Vote on Final Passage of The Less than HONORable Service Peclusion of Benefits Act:

Aye (5): AndrewPA, Ben, Clarence, Scott, TJ in Cleve
Nay (3): Redalgo, sbane, Seatown
Abstain (1): NC Yankee

Didn't Vote (1): Wormyguy
Attempted to Vote Twice (1): Seatown

With five votes in the affirmative, three in the negative and time having expired, the bill is passed and presented to the President for executive action.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 09:03:29 am by Senator North Carolina Yankee »Logged

GM Napoleon
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2012, 11:22:19 am »
Ignore

I have vetoed this bill.

Here is my redrafted version:
The Less Than HONORable Service Preclusion of Benefits Act

1- This act may be known as the HONOR Act

2- Atlasians who receive a Bad Conduct Discharge (BCD) from the military hereby forfeit all VA benefits, or other benefits available solely to veterans from the federal government, except those benefits provided in cases of disability.

3- A clause indicating such must be present on the enlistment document and acknowledged by the enlistee with his or her signature.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 11:34:25 am by President Napoleon »Logged

When I was in the third grade, I thought that I was Jewish
Because I could count, my nose was big, and I kept my bank account fullish
I told my mom, tears blurring my vision
He said, "Mort, you've loved God since before circumcision"
President John Hay
clarence
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2012, 01:40:50 pm »
Ignore

I am disappointed with the Presiden'ts veto, but I believe his amended version is still an improvement over current policy- therefore I accept it as friendly

LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2012, 07:34:11 pm »
Ignore

Vote on Final Passage of The Less than HONORable Service Peclusion of Benefits Act:

Aye (5): AndrewPA, Ben, Clarence, Scott, TJ in Cleve
Nay (3): Redalgo, sbane, Seatown
Abstain (1): NC Yankee

Didn't Vote (1): Wormyguy
Attempted to Vote Twice (1): Seatown

With five votes in the affirmative, three in the negative and time having expired, the bill is passed and presented to the President for executive action.
oh F[inks] I thought we were voting again.
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2012, 01:53:59 pm »
Ignore

I thought we were as well, but I have been here long enough to know that you never go into an extra-ordinary procedure unless you know it is worth while. Hence why I conditioned my halting of the vote on the presence of a real desire to change the text. No amendments materialized so it didn't happen.

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2012, 02:04:19 pm »
Ignore

Quote from: Constitution: Article 1, Section 3
4.Whensoever the Senate shall pass a bill and present it to the President, he shall have the option to redraft the bill and return it to the Senate in redrafted form. The President shall have this option once with each particular bill presented to him. The original sponsor of the bill, as so defined in Senate rules, shall either file a motion to approve the Presidentís redraft by a simple majority vote, and return it to the President for his signature or veto, or withdraw the bill from the Senate. If the Senate approves the President's redraft by a simple majority vote, the redrafted bill shall be returned to the President for his signature or veto. If the Senate rejects the President's redraft, the original sponsor shall either file a motion to send the original draft of the bill back to the President for his signature or veto, or shall direct the Senate to resume debate on the bill as presented to the President.

So I guess Clarence's acceptance of the changes as "friendly" constitutes the equivalent of "filling a motion to approve the redraft".

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2012, 02:06:57 pm »
Ignore

Quote from: President's Redraft
The Less Than HONORable Service Preclusion of Benefits Act

1- This act may be known as the HONOR Act

2- Atlasians who receive a Bad Conduct Discharge (BCD) from the military hereby forfeit all VA benefits, or other benefits available solely to veterans from the federal government, except those benefits provided in cases of disability.

3- A clause indicating such must be present on the enlistment document and acknowledged by the enlistee with his or her signature.

Senators, a vote is now open on the President's Redraft, please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2012, 02:08:56 pm »
Ignore

Aye.
Redalgo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2012, 02:52:52 pm »
Ignore

Nay

"I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to see realized." ~ Nelson Mandela
President John Hay
clarence
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2012, 08:51:57 pm »
Ignore

Aye

North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2012, 08:03:09 am »
Ignore

Aye

Governor TJ
TJ in Cleve
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2012, 11:04:04 am »
Ignore

Aye

Sheriff Buford TX Justice
AndrewCT
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2012, 11:12:49 am »
Ignore

Aye

My parents are pretty good about smelling a rat. 
Let me put this as clear as I can (saying this to myself, as well, so I can see it): I WILL get a job with CADD and I WILL keep the job.
Warner for Senate '14
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2012, 11:22:43 am »
Ignore

Aye

Obama High's debate team:

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
Sbane
sbane
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2012, 07:09:11 pm »
Ignore

Abstain
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout