Opinion of anti-fireworks laws
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:06:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of anti-fireworks laws
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Freedom laws or horrible laws?
FL

HL

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Opinion of anti-fireworks laws  (Read 1957 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2012, 08:33:43 PM »

HL, if absolute. FL, if reasonable restrictions to protect safety.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2012, 08:36:06 PM »

Green is freedom states, blue is semi-freedom states (how much depends on how strict state laws are), yellow is horrible state, and red is mega horrible state.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2012, 10:04:53 PM »

Green is freedom states, blue is semi-freedom states (how much depends on how strict state laws are), yellow is horrible state, and red is mega horrible state.

Although it's worth noting that some of the green states have areas that aren't green, such as Washoe County in Nevada. Sad
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2012, 12:40:06 AM »

Dangerous, loud, polluting, messy traffic hazards. That being said, I don't really care one way or another. The outrage some would have over their banning is odd to me though.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2012, 12:42:07 AM »

Actually, my state has had a rash of wildfires this year (one of the driest years on record), so I don't honestly know how to feel about these laws. On the one hand, I don't want to ban all fireworks (the one issue that I'm more right-wing on then the Democratic gubernatorial candidate I've volunteered for), but on the other hand, I can see the logic in regulating them, and hunting guns+fireworks have been responsible for a couple of those fires.

I went with Freedom Laws just to buck the trend, but honestly, beyond strict fines and regulations on them, I don't want to ban fireworks.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2012, 01:01:11 AM »

That map is kind of misleading for Minnesota, the only legal fireworks here are ones that don't shoot into the air, so basically the more boring ones. Of course people just import them from Wisconsin which is far less restrictive, and still shoot them off everywhere. I actually saw people shooting them off in public parks of all places yesterday to give an idea of how widely ignored the law is.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2012, 07:42:03 AM »

Completely horrible laws, despite what parents may say.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2012, 01:18:19 PM »

"Safe and sane" with permits for special events to have bigger ones sounds like a reasonable, fair compromise.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2012, 02:18:44 PM »

They're obnoxious in any area that is remotely urban. That being said: the factor that makes them annoying is who uses them and how they use them. When people go out into the middle of the street in residential areas to light some kiddieworks off because they're scared of their precious patios being injured, they're the bane of the neighborhood on the 4th. When they're the expensive illegal ones, it's fun to see your neighbors light them off.

Also @deadman0 that's something I used to do annually with my friends (and still do for some reason). Is it moronic and dangerous? Yes. Does it lead to great stories and tons of fun? Yes.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2012, 10:42:33 PM »

Ambivalent, though like Al I think it's kind of hilarious that these laws exist considering the state of American gun laws, and like Lief I don't understand why it's such a crazy notion that the government might enact restrictions on what are essentially explosives.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies