McKinley and Bush
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:31:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  McKinley and Bush
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: McKinley and Bush  (Read 2064 times)
George W. Bush
eversole_Adam

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 20, 2005, 08:23:24 PM »

They were alot Alike. Both very Religious, Very Rich, People did not like him Because they thought he was too Corporate.
 Bush went to war with Iraq for very Similar to the reasons that McKinley went to war with Spain (there harsh treatment of Cubans).
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 09:04:43 PM »

Just saw this analogy made on the History Channel.  Theodore Roosevelt was cast in the Paul Wolfawitz role.
George W. Bush
eversole_Adam

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 09:06:08 PM »

Yea thats were i seen it too. Thats a really good show.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 09:14:19 PM »

Hmm... what program was it on the History Channel?
George W. Bush
eversole_Adam

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 09:44:21 PM »

Its Called Presidents, Its on right now. Its a 6 part show about every President, the last 2 Parts are on tommrow from 8-10
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005, 10:28:13 PM »

McKinley was much better than GWB though. Smiley
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2005, 10:35:50 PM »

I see some parrallels to Wilson.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2005, 10:58:02 PM »

The only parallel to Wilson is that he won a lot of the same states.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2005, 08:52:51 AM »

Well the war with Spain was a pretty naked landgrab very insufficiently masked as humanitarian-inspired, so yeah, I can see your point.[/end sarcasm]
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2005, 11:24:42 PM »

Wilson was, and Bush is, very idealistic, especially concerning the advance of liberty.  I can see the parallels.

As for Iraq being a naked land grab, do you REALLY believe that Bush wants to keep Iraq as colony as McKinley kept Cuba and the Phillipines?       Get real!
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2005, 12:21:06 AM »

Wilson was, and Bush is, very idealistic, especially concerning the advance of liberty.  I can see the parallels.

When Democrats talk about a parallel between Bush and Wilson, they mean his approval rating is going to tank, and they'll win the 2008 presidential race in a landslide.
RJ
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2005, 12:23:07 AM »

As for Iraq being a naked land grab, do you REALLY believe that Bush wants to keep Iraq as colony as McKinley kept Cuba and the Phillipines?       Get real!

Is he keeping permanant military installations there? Is he allowing private companies to get a hold of all the goodies there such as lucrative oil and government contracts? Will the government of Iraq(if it holds) be allowed the luxury of independent thought and perhaps not wholeheartedly concur with the government of our country one day? May not be a "naked land grab," but I think it's awefully close.

By the way, I was under the impression that Mckinley's justification for war with Spain was because they violated our "hands off west" policy instituted earlier in the 1800's. This is the firs I've ever heard of "harsh treatment of Cubans."
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2005, 12:44:00 AM »

Is he keeping permanant military installations there? Is he allowing private companies to get a hold of all the goodies there such as lucrative oil and government contracts? Will the government of Iraq(if it holds) be allowed the luxury of independent thought and perhaps not wholeheartedly concur with the government of our country one day? May not be a "naked land grab," but I think it's awefully close.

By the way, I was under the impression that Mckinley's justification for war with Spain was because they violated our "hands off west" policy instituted earlier in the 1800's. This is the firs I've ever heard of "harsh treatment of Cubans."

No, that policy, the Monroe Doctrine, dealt with new colonialization.  Spain had Cuba, for the most part, for 400 years prior to Spanish American War.

Much of the public support for the war was for the liberation, because of Spanish oppession.  The level of oppression was largely exagerated in the Press.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies