Opinion of Contemporary Christian Music (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:23:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of Contemporary Christian Music (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you believe that contemporary Christian music is wrong?
Yes

No, but I prefer traditional hymns.

No; I prefer contemporary hymns.

Don't Know/Maybe

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 21

Author Topic: Opinion of Contemporary Christian Music  (Read 3635 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: July 06, 2012, 01:17:49 AM »
« edited: July 06, 2012, 01:26:08 AM by A Glass Can Only Spill What It Contains »

Depends on what you mean by "wrong". If you mean by that it's blasphemous or whatever, then no. If you mean that it's wrong in that it's terrible, then yes.

I do like some Christian music though, lots of Christian hardcore, some indie rock, some worship music (which isn't really the same as CCM) is decent like some of Hillsong's stuff (even a lot of that is awful though)...my church tends to play a lot of that and even some classic hymns in a sort of post-hardcore/indie rock style, kind of like Rainer Maria, they've even played some songs that sound like Pavement. That stuff I like. But anything you'd hear on CCM radio is bleh.

Interestingly if music is sort of borderline Christian but not really and the musicians don't claim to be Christian music and vehemently deny the label (like Mineral), it's more likely than not to be quite good, and has a much better good:suck ratio than obviously secular music.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 12:07:02 AM »

Depends on what you mean by "wrong". If you mean by that it's blasphemous or whatever, then no. If you mean that it's wrong in that it's terrible, then yes.

I do like some Christian music though, lots of Christian hardcore, some indie rock, some worship music (which isn't really the same as CCM) is decent like some of Hillsong's stuff (even a lot of that is awful though)...my church tends to play a lot of that and even some classic hymns in a sort of post-hardcore/indie rock style, kind of like Rainer Maria, they've even played some songs that sound like Pavement. That stuff I like. But anything you'd hear on CCM radio is bleh.

Interestingly if music is sort of borderline Christian but not really and the musicians don't claim to be Christian music and vehemently deny the label (like Mineral), it's more likely than not to be quite good, and has a much better good:suck ratio than obviously secular music.
Many of the people in my church smear it as watered-down rock music or "Christian rock" (which I actually LOVE rock music as long as the lyrics aren't inappropriate, so I personally would take that as a complement).  They say "Christian rock is an oxymoron" and that it is somehow blasphemous because it is "bringing the world into the church" and because of the effects it has on your brain.  I think it's sort of cool when traditional, classic hymns are played in an upbeat manner.  Though I personally don't think anything is inherently wrong with contemporary Christian music, I don't especially like it and prefer traditional hymns because CCM has never inspired me or felt as spiritual to me as the old hymns (some of which I love as well.)
Oh, and BTW: do you know how to delete the other thread please?

You know what's funny is that while that sounds pretty reactionary many liberal Christians would agree with them from my experience. I've read plenty of similar things from "high church" Protestants who are socially progressive but basically hold that any rock music in church is inappropriate for that reason, bringing the world into church and whatnot, if you want to listen to that music do it outside of church. Always found that a little odd that often evangelicals are more open-minded about this.

There's a "Remove Thread" button at the bottom of the thread.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies