Confirmation Hearing: Kalwejt to be Secretary of External Affairs (Confirm'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:45:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: Kalwejt to be Secretary of External Affairs (Confirm'd)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: Kalwejt to be Secretary of External Affairs (Confirm'd)  (Read 2141 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 06, 2012, 12:50:42 PM »
« edited: July 12, 2012, 08:41:19 AM by Vice President Kalwejt »

My administration cares deeply about foreign policy. The Secretary of External Affairs must be knowledgeable and able to effectively communicate diplomatically abroad. I have asked Vice President-elect Kalwejt to serve in this capacity during our administration.

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 12:51:41 PM »

How would you depart from the foreign policy of previous administrations?  What will be your policy towards the now nuclear Iran?  Do you believe we should maintain our alliance with the State of Israel?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 01:08:37 PM »

Do you feel that China is a potential threat to our economic security?  If so, how will you address this?

To what extent should our military be used for humanitarian causes, if at all?

Should we intervene in Syria?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 01:11:43 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

In my experience, there are only a precious few who actually "know the drill". Tongue
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 04:23:10 PM »

Kalwejt, as Secretary of External Affairs what would your attitudes be regarding forms of political and economic manipulation, and the use of coercive measures betwixt countries with conflicting interests? How important is ensuring the dignity, general welfare, and social rights of peoples in other parts of the world relative to advancing the national interests of Atlasia?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 06:54:21 PM »

Mr. Vice President

What approach will you take in dealing with the rogue states of the world, i.e. Cuba, Iran, Sudan, Syria, North Korea?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 08:18:32 PM »

Mr. Vice President

What approach will you take in dealing with the rogue states of the world, i.e. Cuba, Iran, Sudan, Syria, North Korea?

I echo Winfield's question, particularly regarding Iran nd their nuclear program.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 05:14:29 AM »

I'm sorry for getting into response now, but I had rather rocky last days and felt I should be in clear mind when addressing your questions.

Mr. Vice President

I do not consider Cuba a "rogue state". First of all, relations between Nyman and Havana are normal for years now and I wholeheartedly support this policy. Second of all, Cuba does not represent threat to any other nation.

North Korea is undergoing a difficult period of transition, which can led basically anywhere. Right now, it's critical to reassure our commitments to our allies that are geographically close to North Korea, such as South Korea and Japan. Frankly, there's nothing useful we can do beside that.

As of Iran, I believe we need a detente in our relations with Tehran. The years of isolation didn't serve any purpose, the regime grew only stronger and Iran is a nuclear state now. We need to establish a normal relationship with this country, just as we did with China in 1970s. Back the China was a serious geopolitical enemy, but the new approachment changed the situation.

Sudan, just like Cuba, is not a thread for other nations. It's the situation is newly-created South Sudan that worries me. And I mean both humanitarian challenges, as well as the fact it's politically nothing short of dictatorship.

Syria is the most difficult question. I do not support any unitalery military operation, as I believe it would only worsen already dramatic situation. Also, we're kind of ineffective when it's coming to military operations in the Middle East. I could support an international operation, but I'd say so when I see a real plan.

I can promise, however, that if confirmed, I shall create a Syrian Task Force, that'd study the issue and remain in close touch with our allies in Middle East and Europe.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 05:17:29 AM »

Do you feel that China is a potential threat to our economic security?  If so, how will you address this?

To what extent should our military be used for humanitarian causes, if at all?

Should we intervene in Syria?

1. China is effectively becoming an economic superpower and we have to adjust. As of now, I don't see them as a direct or immediate threat to our economic security, since we need China, but also China needs us.
2. I admit, I'm sceptical about so called "humanitarian interventions", because in most cases, it fails to achieve a desired objective. I'm not ruling out humanitarian interventions conducted within international structures, but that should be literally the last thing on the table.
3. As I said before, we should not without an agreement with our allies and clear exit strategy.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 05:22:08 AM »

How would you depart from the foreign policy of previous administrations?  What will be your policy towards the now nuclear Iran?  Do you believe we should maintain our alliance with the State of Israel?

Since I already addressed Iran issue, I'll focus on Israel.

Speaking of alliance, I'm rather sceptical about your proposed bill right now. I do not reject an idea of alliance per se. In fact, I've always supporter Israel's right to existence. My concern is that Atlasian military potential may be used by the current Israeli government against an innocent Palestinian civilians and their infrastructure. If confirmed, I'd be happy to sit down with you and discuss the bill with open mind.

Speaking of general policy, I'm planning to open gates of the Department wide to the general public and I promise, if confirmed, to promote a knowledge about foreign policy among general population. Which includes constant presence on Fantasy Election board.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 05:24:53 AM »

Kalwejt, as Secretary of External Affairs what would your attitudes be regarding forms of political and economic manipulation, and the use of coercive measures betwixt countries with conflicting interests? How important is ensuring the dignity, general welfare, and social rights of peoples in other parts of the world relative to advancing the national interests of Atlasia?

Thank you for asking about the very thing I wanted to adress, Redalgo.

I've always believed that abusing international law and human dignity does not serve our longterm interests, since by acting this way we're basically losing friends and make enemies, while not gaining anything.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 07:35:06 AM »

Kal, you have my vote.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 07:52:15 AM »

What action would you take abroad to attempt to prevent domestic terror attacks?
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 09:38:49 AM »

Ya, basically. My stance on Syria is a little more aggressive but on the whole I am quite satisfied with the answers to questions he's posted here, thus far.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 10:40:50 AM »

What action would you take abroad to attempt to prevent domestic terror attacks?

I think it's certain, after painful experiences of last decade, that the most effective tolls of combating terrorist are primarily intelligence and law enforcement, other than massive military operations. These, due to it's weight, should be the last resort only in the most extreme cases.

In my opinion, out first focus should be coordinating our intelligence and law enforcement efforts with our allies, that are affected by terrorism as well. If confirmed, I'd be happy to propose a bill dealing with this issue on the DoEA behalf.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2012, 10:46:39 AM »

I'd also like to add my thoughts about promoting foreign policy issues among general public

Outside of keeping an open office on Fantasy board, I'm planning to engage more people in foreign policy process by including our citizens, that are not involved with the government, in diplomatic missions and other engagements under DoEA.

Last, but certainly not least, I'll be using actively my powers in creating storylines.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2012, 12:00:32 PM »

Do you feel that legislation such as the PATRIOT ACT are necessary to prevent domestic terrorism?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2012, 12:54:17 PM »

Do you feel that legislation such as the PATRIOT ACT are necessary to prevent domestic terrorism?

No, the Patriot Act allows an uncontrolled abuse of the basic civil rights of Atlasian citizens. How can we battle terrorism while assaulting the very freedom, we're supoused to protect, at home?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2012, 12:56:14 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2012, 03:42:10 PM by Senator Scott »

No, the Patriot Act allows an uncontrolled abuse of the basic civil rights of Atlasian citizens. How can we battle terrorism while assaulting the very freedom, we're supoused to protect, at home?

Thank you.  I strongly agree with the answers you have provided, and you will definitely have my vote. Smiley
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2012, 03:36:12 PM »

I have one question for you. Have you now, or have you ever been, Nic Cage? 
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2012, 04:18:19 PM »

I have one question for you. Have you now, or have you ever been, Nic Cage? 

I'm not Nic Cage, I never been Nic Cage.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2012, 05:39:09 PM »

That's a shame.. truly a shame. Well.. I know you'll do well in this position, and I intend to support you.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2012, 11:08:46 PM »

Thank you for your responses.

I of course have no vote on confirmation, however, you have my non vote support for confirmation.

This will be a meaningful post in which you can make a useful contribution, instead of simply being confined to the useless role of Vice President, useless of course unless the President resigns from office.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2012, 07:28:17 AM »

Senators, please vote aye, nay or abstain on confirmation of this nasty individual to be Secretary of External Affairs.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2012, 08:21:52 AM »

Aye
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies