California High-Speed Rail Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:16:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  California High-Speed Rail Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: California High-Speed Rail Thread  (Read 25680 times)
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« on: January 06, 2015, 07:33:41 PM »

I can't wait to take the train from Merced to Fresno!

They're doing it in pieces- the worst pieces to start- and setting the whole scheme up to fail. Which would be a tragedy. Track-sharing in the Bay and SoCal? It's almost laughably bad.

Its so sad that the same misunderstandings crop up so much. 

the initial segments will be operated by existing conventional services (among Amtrak's most popular, I might add) at higher speeds until they're able to run trains over Tehachapi pass. 

As so for track sharing, while it is certainly sub-optimal, electrification of the caltrain corridor provides the space needed to operate a blended service.  At the LA end, they'll make the track capacity they need, as metrolink doesn't run all that many trains up to Palmdale. It certainly doesn't preclude a future dedicated route. 

Many TGV lines use conventional speed terminal railroads to gain access to cities
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 11:24:20 PM »

Vartabedian flogging the same horse he always flogs.  There's nothing new or terribly accurate here.
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 04:51:39 PM »

The tricky thing is that they need to make sure that in the future they will be able to run through-trains to Union Station. So much wasted potential if they have to change trains at Palmdale.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies