California High-Speed Rail Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:46:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  California High-Speed Rail Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: California High-Speed Rail Thread  (Read 25692 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« on: January 06, 2015, 07:34:22 PM »

I can't wait to take the train from Merced to Fresno!

They're doing it in pieces- the worst pieces to start- and setting the whole scheme up to fail. Which would be a tragedy. Track-sharing in the Bay and SoCal? It's almost laughably bad.
It will be finished on about 1/3 of the total distance in 2018.  This will significantly decrease the trip time and demand will rise accordingly...especially for central valley residents who are likely to be the most loyal users anyway.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 08:39:49 PM »

This is good news and is no different than how Germany and other European nations did it.  You build out the easy areas which significantly reduces trip times and increases ridership which helps drive further investment for the tough areas.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 05:01:40 PM »
« Edited: March 11, 2018, 05:06:36 PM by Snowguy716 »

The only think that bothers me more than the incredible cost overruns and mind numbing drawn out process of building mass transit systems in this country... are people that think we can just get by with buses and cars... even though they don't live in a city and never take the bus.  Ever.

The problem with buses is that they get stuck in traffic.  They're loud.  They are subject to the poor maintenance of the roads.  And they have a stigma... earned or not.

I'm sure we don't need a big old rail transit system in Lincoln, Nebraska Dead0man... but mass transit is one of those things that needs a properly routed network to be successful.  Of course the first tiny leg of a brand new rail transit system is going to be underwhelming and costly.

That said I'm not surprised this is happening in California.  Amtrak is doing the smart thing and buying up trackage as freight railroads reroute or stop using certain sections... and upgrading it so their traditional trains can run 110mph.  They're also upgrading tracks in the Northeast Corridor and new trainsets are already being built to replace the Acela trains.  These trains will initially operate up to 160mph and later at 186mph with increased speed around corners due to the latest tilting technology.

We should be pouring money into the Northeast corridor and expanding it southward down the east coast.  As it stands, Amtrak hopes to reduce the time it takes to get from Washington to New York from just over 3 hours to 96 minutes within 15-20 years.  We could do better than that.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonrabinowitz/2016/08/26/amtraks-acela-express-replacement-arriving-in-2021/#75803fd16257
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies