Louisiana schools: Loch Ness Monster proves creationism is real
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:14:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Louisiana schools: Loch Ness Monster proves creationism is real
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Louisiana schools: Loch Ness Monster proves creationism is real  (Read 3147 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2012, 05:39:37 PM »

Haha, I remember a far-right MP claiming that the Wawel Dragon is the proving the creationism.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2012, 09:10:00 PM »

When it comes down to it, I don't believe we can truly know anything.

Also, people are using the original textbook excerpt to claim that these schools are teaching creationism as fact. Well... maybe the teachers are, but that entire quote was filled with "coulds" and "maybes" and "claims." It sounded a lot more like they were saying: "Don't blindly believe everything you read."

Which is kind of ironic, considering the source. Regardless, I think that principle applies to "science" and "religion" and is generally a good thing to teach kids.

In the context of evolutionary biology, even that sort of wishy-washiness is plenty damaging since, as far as we understand it, Darwinian evolution pretty much is a fact. Teaching kids not to blindly believe what they read is a laudable goal, but this is hardly the context to introduce it in, nor is it being introduced in good faith.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2012, 08:10:40 AM »

Has anyone ever met a young-Earth creationist? I don't believe they really exist, but then again, I don't believe the South really exists either. Tongue

Lots. Most Southern Baptists are, and the few who aren't still say they're neutral because  the science isn't settled yet.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2012, 11:29:54 PM »

which scientific process?  A purely Baconian approach doesn't allow for Darwin either, but maybe you have something else in mind.

They don't follow any kind scientific process. They have a conclusion before doing any kind of science at all and reject or twist anything and everything that doesn't fit that conclusion. That is not science in any sense of the word.
You think scientists never interpret their data in light of a preconceived conclusion?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

No, I'm interested in facts and whether the methods that are used to attain them are reliable. But if you really think that the creationists have a legitimate scientific case then feel free to enlighten us on the scientific methodologies of those people who apparently think the Loch Ness Monster is evidence for dinosaurs living together with humans.
[/quote]

You claimed that they promote an anti-science ideology that pushes people away from pursuing scientific careers. If you are have no interest or knowledge of their perspective, you have no basis for that claim. The science used to support young earth creationism is very problematic, but within the contexts where it is promoted, science is seen as a valid and even spiritual vocation.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies