Most religious US state in your opinion?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:48:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Most religious US state in your opinion?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Which out of these selected states is the most religious you think?
Texas

Georgia

Florida

California

Tennessee

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 17

Author Topic: Most religious US state in your opinion?  (Read 4061 times)
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2012, 01:15:34 PM »

Interesting how Texas doesn't even appear on this list. 

Blame Austin or the other big cities like Dallas or Houston.

Dude, all three of the cities you named are covered in churches.  Churches everywhere, for every religion you can  think of.

1. Austin is known to be a progressive liberal secular city, churches aren't as a big deal there. Probably in the suburbs, but I doubt in the city proper.

2. Houston and Dallas are known to have large successful mega churches, like Lakewood which is run by Joel Osteen. But keep in mind, they may have a large following but the vast majority of the people who attend such mega churches live out in the suburbs and are just commuting to these mega churches Sunday morning. Many people in the city proper aren't big devout churchgoers based on my observation. 
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2012, 09:57:58 PM »

Interesting how Texas doesn't even appear on this list. 

Blame Austin or the other big cities like Dallas or Houston.

Dude, all three of the cities you named are covered in churches.  Churches everywhere, for every religion you can  think of.
But how many people go to those churches? and by religion, do you mean Denomination or actual religion?

Re: the latter question there's a surprisingly large Asian population in TX and I've even run into a Sikh temple while lost in West Dallas.  Synagogues abound in Texas.

To Baldeagle: while Austin has a large artsy bohemian demographic, a. Such people aren't necessarily irreligious and b. You'll find that a lot of those UT students are pretty enthusiastic Christians, and that goes double for the older set.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2012, 09:23:40 AM »

Texas, although that's for this poll only. Remember the weird 'pray for rain' event held in 2011, just what was that all about...

Mississippi is probably the most religious state overall.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2012, 10:36:31 PM »

Texas, although that's for this poll only. Remember the weird 'pray for rain' event held in 2011, just what was that all about...

That Pray for Rain event could've happened anywhere.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2012, 11:31:36 PM »

I got to think it's Mississippi.  The black Baptist churches have huge influence in their communities and it's one of the most (if not the most) socially conservative white populations. 

Utah, for all the Mormon influence, has got some secular pockets in Salt Lake City and some of resort areas.  I think you'd be hard pressed to find a pair of atheist neighbors in Mississippi. 

EDIT: I looked at some exit poll info for both states.  In 2008, 8% of Utahans identified as having no religion.  The only question they asked in MS is if you were a white evangelical or not, they didn't even ask if anyone had no religion. 

Yea... I'm gonna go with Mississippi. 
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies