U.S. court orders Iran to pay for 1983 attack
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:59:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  U.S. court orders Iran to pay for 1983 attack
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: U.S. court orders Iran to pay for 1983 attack  (Read 674 times)
Jacobtm

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 07, 2012, 11:23:56 AM »

A US federal judge has ordered Iran to pay more than $813m in damages and interest to the families of 241 US soldiers killed in the 1983 bombing of a Marine barracks in Lebanon.

Judge Royce Lambeth wrote in a ruling this week that Tehran had to be "punished to the fullest extent legally possible"  for the bombing in Beirut on October 23, 1983, the deadliest ever against US soldiers.

"After this opinion, this court will have issued over $8.8bn in judgments against Iran as a result of the 1983 Beirut bombing," Lamberth wrote in the ruling, a copy of which was seen on Friday by the AFP news agency.

"Iran is racking up quite a bill from its sponsorship of terrorism," the Washington judge added, noting that "a number of other Beirut bombing cases remain pending, and their completion will surely increase this amount."

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/americas/2012/07/2012777055649765.html

Fascinating legal precedent set here.

I can't wait until Vietnam, Nicaragua, Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, Pakistan and all the rest begin suing the United States for every attack against them that the United States has committed.

Should be a budget-buster.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 12:29:24 PM »

I can't wait until Vietnam, Nicaragua, Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, Pakistan and all the rest begin suing the United States for every attack against them that the United States has committed.

I won't even say anything about the others (there isn't any point to debating with you), but when it comes to Nicaragua, I visited Costa Rica a few weeks ago, and it's amazing how much they really hate Ortega and Chavez and Bolivarianism there, just in general. I haven't been to Nicaragua, though, maybe they like it somehow.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 03:39:44 PM »

I won't even say anything about the others (there isn't any point to debating with you), but when it comes to Nicaragua, I visited Costa Rica a few weeks ago, and it's amazing how much they really hate Ortega and Chavez and Bolivarianism there, just in general. I haven't been to Nicaragua, though, maybe they like it somehow.

Really don't matter if American courts have a right to bill the Iranian state, so will foreign courts have the right to bill the American state. The Iranian will ignore this and rightfully so.
Jacobtm

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 04:06:25 PM »

In Nicaragua, they likely aren't fond of the U.S. funded terrorism that wracked their country. They really don't like the fact that we mined their harbors.

The mining of Nicaraguan harbors is why we withdrew from the International Court of Justice, if I'm not mistaken. They were going to try us for it, very illegal...

We just bounced instead.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies