Summarize Previous Poster's Political Beliefs (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:57:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Summarize Previous Poster's Political Beliefs (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Summarize Previous Poster's Political Beliefs  (Read 40286 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« on: July 08, 2012, 08:39:23 AM »

Well, first, I don't remember ever really disagreeing with a Polnut post that I have seen. He seems like a pragmatic centrist, with as much interest in process as substance (understanding that process can affect the quality of the substantive policy).  Yes, I know, I am not doing the characterization of Polnut's beliefs justice here, and someone else no doubt could do better, but I thought I would hop in, just to share my impression.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 11:53:58 AM »

To the extent Kal weighs in the public policy matters, rather than comment on the rather fascinating array of Atlasian personalities, a seemingly reasonably sane and practical standard issue liberal who would fit well into the mainstream of the Dem party.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 01:00:44 PM »
« Edited: August 10, 2012, 01:05:40 PM by Torie »

Interesting paragraph about me Nathan. Goldwater was not fit for office, but I got my parents to vote for him based on the supposition that it would be best to keep LBJ's margin down.

I dispute I have much of a libertarian streak in me, beyond being chill about the life style choices of individuals. I understand that in a modern complex, diverse society, transfer payments and a social safety net, are necessary, and also profoundly believe that we need to do better, much better, in affording folks a more equal opportunity to more fully realize their potential, starting with a fundamental cleansing of our secondary school system, something that to do right, is going to cost considerably more money than we are spending now to get the kind of teachers these kids need and deserve (while canning the mediocre and incompetent in droves). In fact, the suck schools are part of a larger syndrome of what I consider a massive f'ing of the youngs by the olds (which should not be occurring, at least not outside the bedroom Tongue), so we have a generational equity issue in play that is festering, and may turn gangrenous.

But yes, I also think I have an array of rather conservative instincts, and do believe in the market system, and on a world wide basis, bearing in mind that positive and negative externalities need to be appropriately addressed, that are not internalized into the price system.

Someone else take a crack at Nathan (you had better say nice things about him!), and skip me of course. I don't want to dominate this place. Smiley
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 01:07:28 PM »

So close to a decent amoral hedonistic economic vampirism, but alas marred by an offensive Horatio Alger pretense (or delusion?)

That is not a very nice characterization of Nathan.

By the way, you keep bringing up the wholly inappropriate Horatio Alger meme. Why?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 06:31:38 PM »

So close to a decent amoral hedonistic economic vampirism, but alas marred by an offensive Horatio Alger pretense (or delusion?)

I'm willing to accept 'close to decent' and 'marred', and possibly 'offensive' and 'delusion' according to opinion, but the rest of this sentence is wildly off-base.

It was of Torie, obviously, guys.

Oh okay. That makes a bit more sense.

I was counter-punching at my interlocutor, and used you as my glove. Sorry buddy.  Tongue 

No obebo, you really miss it. Yes, you really do. I'm into increasing the odds that the poors can better themselves. I hope that helps.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 09:11:56 AM »

Oh The Mikado is somewhere on the center left (more left on social issues than otherwise perhaps), but seems rather detached, and not all into doing battle on some of the main issues of the day - at least the ones that interest me. He seems more of an intellectual who enjoys tossing brickbats at the established order from all directions. Part of my struggling here, is that The Mikado has never really mixed it up with me, and I don't think that is because he considers me the embodiment of Aristotelian perfection. Smiley

Anyway, that might be why folks skip you Mikado. You're too tough - the shadow in Plato's cave.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies