Open forum with Hughento
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:39:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Open forum with Hughento
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Open forum with Hughento  (Read 1184 times)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 20, 2005, 11:06:34 PM »

"G'day fellow Atlasians,

Tonight I'm here in Denver, Colorado for the first of many open forums of this campaign. During the October Presidential campaign, the first Open Forum in Atlasia was held by myself and my VP. Tonight, another will be held, and hopefully many more will follow.

This open forum will focus on three key issues, and those issues are why I'm hear in Denver. The first issue is the environment. Denver is surrounded by amazing natural scenery, and it is hard to imagine a better setting then this to talk about how to preserve it. The second is gun control. All Atlasians are aware of the tragic loss of life at Columbine High School just south of here no more then a few years ago. It is important we talk about how to make sure it never happens again. The third issue is my proposal for the MagLev system, which includes Denver as a stage 1 city, and as a hub for the lower Western line and Central line.

This forum will also provide for other issues, but they will be given lower prioirty tonight. I encourage anyone from here in Colorado or all over the district to ask away, and questions will also be taken from the media at the end of the night and other Atlasian citizens.

So, let's start the show. First question, please. Yes, the man in the back"
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 11:10:03 PM »

Why should Denver receive a Maglev station when it has no nearby major metropolitan area that can be reached more economically than by plane?
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 11:15:56 PM »

Obviously, you don't consider the cost to the individual, only the cost top the government.

To get from Denver to Los Angeles by plane costs $242 (www.united.com then price check for Denver to LAX) for one adult. To drive is a lot cheaper, but is time consuming.

MagLev is the best opportunity Denver will get to link to the West Coast cheaply and quickly. Whilst we can't legislate the costs, we can put caps on the ticket prices, and I can assure you, nobody would be paying more then $150 to get from Denver to Los Angeles.

Also, having a hub here in Denver can only help the tourism industry here, and also means more Atlasians can get to see the stunning beauty of Colorado for a lower price with a smaller travel time then other method provide, excluding the very expensive air travel.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 11:19:11 PM »

Note that United is a high cost carrier.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 11:21:35 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2005, 11:24:58 PM by hughento »

They were actually prices for it's lower cost affiliate, Southwest, KEmperor.

I also looked at AA-unlike Southwest/United, it didn't stop over in Salt Lake City. The price for a single adult economy fare was $329.20.

https://www.aa.com/apps/reservations/EnterPassengerDetails.jhtml;jsessionid=XEDERYVTWY3HPEAJJM1U1DMQBFFTGVMD

More then double the price for MagLev.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005, 11:24:04 PM »

Southwest doesn't fly into Denver.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2005, 11:25:18 PM »

Southwest doesn't fly into Denver.

Actually, they do now, through their agreement with ATA Airlines.

http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/routemap.html
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2005, 11:31:41 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2005, 11:38:03 PM by King »

According to their route map, Denver does not fly to any of the western states. To get to Los Angeles from Denver using Southwest, you need to drive to either Albuquerque or Salt Lake City.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2005, 11:32:40 PM »

According to their route map, Denver does not fly to any of the western states. To get to Los Angeles from Denver using Southwest, you need to drive to either Albuquerque or Salt Lake City

Good point.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2005, 11:34:02 PM »

That is why I posted an alternative, direct flight to LAX, which was far more expensive.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2005, 11:38:14 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2005, 11:41:40 PM by King »

The price of a trip from Denver to Albuquerque via train + a non-stop flight from Albuquerque to Los Angeles is $144. $6 less than MagLev and you get there in nearly half the time.

If was a business traveler or vacationer on a budget, I would not go with MagLev.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2005, 11:41:32 PM »

the $150 is a max price cap proposal, and on a different line then the Denver-Albuquerque-Pheonix-San Diego-Los Angeles line. Also, by the time you get to Albuquerque by conventional train, you've already ralmost eached Nevada by MagLev (depending on which type, obviously).
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2005, 11:44:25 PM »

the $150 is a max price cap proposal, and on a different line then the Denver-Albuquerque-Pheonix-San Diego-Los Angeles line. Also, by the time you get to Albuquerque by conventional train, you've already ralmost eached Nevada by MagLev (depending on which type, obviously).

Airlines also over deals for frequent flyers, kids ride free, airports are more secure than train stations, and their maintenance programs can not be beat by some tacky government run program. It is overall a better deal and a safer trip.

The line also cuts out 90% of the D5, meaning some other transportation system would be needed for the majority of travelers.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2005, 11:47:57 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2005, 11:50:44 PM by King »

*psst* Amtrak from Denver to Albuquerque takes about 1:15, so unless MagLev breaks 500MPH, no way it would be in Nevada at that time.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2005, 11:51:25 PM »

just like you can't get a plane trip from Belle Fourche to Los Angeles, you can't get MagLev. But your safety concerns are puzzling. Could you inform me of any MagLev crashes in the past 5 years? I could name many airline crashes. Also, because they'd be run primarily by private companies, there is incentive for them also to have offers such as frequent passnegers and free kids fares, although obviously I wouldn't legislate for that.

King, this is not the debate thread, but I will continue to answer your questions if you feel you must ask them.

About the Denver-Albuquerque thingie. Is that direct or stopping all stations? Is it convenient to get from the train station to the airport, and how far apart are flight departure times from train arrival times?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2005, 11:55:09 PM »

If we were to introduce a MagLev system for the west (which would be ideal in the future), it would have to be via the Pacific Legislature. I doubt the other 8 Senators would vote to approve spending on a system that doesn't affects their district.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2005, 11:57:48 PM »

The French TGV NouvelleGeneration, planned to be released this year, will have an operating speed of 225 miles per hour. No, it isn't 500. But that's damn fast.

King-are you following senate debate at all, and have you actually peroused my plan? My plan has Denver as a hub for the MagLev service for both the western and central services.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2005, 12:03:42 AM »

*psst* Amtrak from Denver to Albuquerque takes about 1:15, so unless MagLev breaks 500MPH, no way it would be in Nevada at that time.

On the Colorail website, I was only able to find Amtrak service to Albuquerque on bus to Ranton, NM and then on by train.

It took over 9 hours.

Albuquerquegate?
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2005, 12:34:56 AM »

I have confirmed it at the Amtrak website-Over 9 and a half hours!
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2005, 09:38:22 PM »

I have confirmed it at the Amtrak website-Over 9 and a half hours!

Ok, ok..so I made that up. I still MagLev in the west is more hassle than its worth. The price of building the line through the rough western terrain, securing lines from terrorism and crime, and although it isn't an eyesore, it takes up a lot of land.

Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2005, 09:55:15 PM »

Thanks for being honest this time. But the point that in terms of cost (only $6 more) and time saved (you'd probably already be in Los Angeles before you got to Albuquerque) there is no better solution than Fast Trains. Also, they are no more dangerous then normal trrains, and probably safer then vehicles.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2005, 10:51:55 PM »

DIA was plagued with cost overruns and failed to make a Denver an international hub (as was promised by its promoters).  In fact, the airport’s biggest achievement seems to be the elevation of project promoter Frederico Pena from Denver Mayor to Secretary of Transportation by President Clinton.  DIA is more than enough airport to meet Denver’s transportation demands.  Why do you think Denver needs another costly solution to a problem that doesn’t exist?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies