London 2012 Olympics Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:08:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  London 2012 Olympics Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 24
Author Topic: London 2012 Olympics Thread  (Read 52998 times)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: July 30, 2012, 09:21:20 PM »

The poor Korean girl in the Epée (fencing) semi-final drama is surely the image of Day III.
A second can last forever...

Unlike in the gymnastics, I suspect it was the right decision.

So many swimming upsets. BBC commentators wondering how Missy Franklin was going in this race, and she wins it.

Apparently she is 100% ethnically Canadian. That is, both of her parents were born here.

The 'colour' about her in our coverage is that she's from Aurora, CO and had the hopes of her whole community on her, hoping for some good news after the movie shootings.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #151 on: July 31, 2012, 12:57:20 AM »

http://www.lostateminor.com/2012/07/26/the-hipster-olympic-games-held-in-berlin/?utm_source=outbrn&utm_medium=images&utm_campaign=trial
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #152 on: July 31, 2012, 04:13:48 AM »

The poor Korean girl in the Epée (fencing) semi-final drama is surely the image of Day III.
A second can last forever...

Unlike in the gymnastics, I suspect it was the right decision.

Disagree. That last second lasted an awfully long time - and resetting it from 0 to 1 seemed particularly unfair.

Apparently this year we're heavily favoured in some women's boxing event.

Katie Taylor has won pretty much everything that has been there to win for 6 years now. She would have been favourite 4 years ago as well had the sport been allowed in. She's probably the most favoured Irish Olympic entry since Pat O'Callaghan in LA '32.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #153 on: July 31, 2012, 05:07:03 AM »

Observation: Gymnastics is incredibly strange, and the more you think about it the stranger it is.

So many swimming upsets. BBC commentators wondering how Missy Franklin was going in this race, and she wins it.

Apparently she is 100% ethnically Canadian. That is, both of her parents were born here.

Apparently, whenever there's no Canadian involved in an event, Canadian TV focuses on whatever American has even a vaguely plausible connection to Canada. That amuses me.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #154 on: July 31, 2012, 05:47:29 AM »

Missy Franklin was pretty amazing last night. Even better if she's remotely Canadian.

On a side note, CTV coverage is terrible. I've taken to watching it all on NBC, at least they show the events rather than nationalist feel-good bullsh**t about the training of Canadian people nobody cares about.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #155 on: July 31, 2012, 06:06:49 AM »

Currently choosing Aus v Spain in men's basketball, over Poland v Bulgaria in Men's volleyball; Women's Table Tennis quarter finals in the singles; Sth Africa v NZ in women   s hockey; Croatia v Spain in men's water polo; Eventing show jumping; Rowing repecharges; the Sailing regatta, and on the free to air channel, the equestrian. Everything but the Table Tennis is live.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #156 on: July 31, 2012, 08:57:02 AM »
« Edited: July 31, 2012, 09:01:37 AM by I'm spinning a Platypus, get out of my way »

We're up to 40 medalling countries with a bronze to Qatari royalty, in the Men's skeet, after a silver to British royalty in the team eventing. The silver went to a Danish carpenter, their first medal, gold to the US. That's half of Beijing's number, so London could be on track to break the record.
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #157 on: July 31, 2012, 12:47:58 PM »

Apparently this year we're heavily favoured in some women's boxing event.

Katie Taylor has won pretty much everything that has been there to win for 6 years now. She would have been favourite 4 years ago as well had the sport been allowed in. She's probably the most favoured Irish Olympic entry since Pat O'Callaghan in LA '32.
And not only that but one of our sailors is cleaning up, won all 4 races so far. Looking like a big improvement from 2004/2008.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #158 on: July 31, 2012, 01:57:16 PM »

Insane final of the men's 200m butterfly, Chad le Clos juuuuust edges out Phelps for gold with a massive final 15. Stunning race, and Phelps now equals the highest total medal count with a couple of events left.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #159 on: July 31, 2012, 02:33:22 PM »

Come on, Earl, there's no way that CTV can be worse than NBC.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #160 on: July 31, 2012, 02:54:20 PM »

So, this Ye Shiwen character. Doping? Not doping? Fair to be suspicious?
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #161 on: July 31, 2012, 03:25:16 PM »

And Phelps becomes the most awarded Olympian in history with the US relay gold in the 4 by 2.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #162 on: July 31, 2012, 03:28:37 PM »

Not doping. Not really fair to be suspicious in my opinion. The Chinese Olympic teams did admittedly used to be all over that sh**t but in recent Games they've contented themselves with massive amounts of forced, almost certainly horrific but legal training.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #163 on: July 31, 2012, 03:40:57 PM »

Not doping. Not really fair to be suspicious in my opinion. The Chinese Olympic teams did admittedly used to be all over that sh**t but in recent Games they've contented themselves with massive amounts of forced, almost certainly horrific but legal training.

A few points here:

Swimming is a sport of technique and raw muscle power, and it is also a sport with relatively few highlights through the year, and the second and third point make it a sport with doping issues (anything illegal building muscle will be effective far longer than it is provable.) Obviously you cannot create a world class swimmer just by injecting him dubious medicines, but you can win crucial seconds that way.

A teenager setting records from the day s/he starts participating in competitions is exceedingly likely to just be that good (and have been drilled, of course, but that's legal). An adult suddenly improving majorly at a comparatively advanced age is what should set all the bells ringing.

danny
Israel

« Reply #164 on: July 31, 2012, 03:51:03 PM »

No more than any other very well performing athlete (like Phelps).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #165 on: July 31, 2012, 03:57:12 PM »

Talking of Phelps, he does look alarmingly like Johnny from The Wire, doesn't he?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #166 on: July 31, 2012, 04:05:14 PM »

Italy is still unable to get a 3rd gold medal... Sad

But at least France is faring quite well so far. Let's hope it lasts.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #167 on: July 31, 2012, 04:13:16 PM »

Maybe they should make sour grapes a sport at the Olympics. It would be guaranteed Gold, Silver, and Bronze medals for Team USA.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #168 on: July 31, 2012, 04:16:01 PM »

Maybe they should make sour grapes a sport at the Olympics. It would be guaranteed Gold, Silver, and Bronze medals for Team USA.
Only because Western Europe has to compete with many teams.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #169 on: July 31, 2012, 04:26:53 PM »

?, this issue was really brought forth by a BBC commentator and an American swim coach unaffiliated with the team. The speed of her last 50 was incredible, surpassing the top males. Some people have just become real skeptical given all of the doping abuses from every country.

Tbs, USA swimming is doing quite well on its own. I havent gotten a sense of sour grapes. Then again I avoid sports commentators and analysts like the plague. Im sure they are trying to brew up some controversy.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #170 on: July 31, 2012, 04:50:21 PM »

Come on, Earl, there's no way that CTV can be worse than NBC.

Depends on the sport. Opening ceremony on CTV was bearable, which is more than I can say about the NBC coverage. I've been watching most of the events online, so I don't know who's better. Most of what I've been watching is the live world feed, which has no commentators at all.

BTW, three bronze medals for Canada today. woohoo! Only 2 behind those pesky Aussies. (would be nice if the combined Winter and Summer medals were higher than them)
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #171 on: July 31, 2012, 04:54:22 PM »

?, this issue was really brought forth by a BBC commentator and an American swim coach unaffiliated with the team. The speed of her last 50 was incredible, surpassing the top males. Some people have just become real skeptical given all of the doping abuses from every country.

Tbs, USA swimming is doing quite well on its own. I havent gotten a sense of sour grapes. Then again I avoid sports commentators and analysts like the plague. Im sure they are trying to brew up some controversy.
True it was initially a BBC commentator who first quipped about her. But then Leonard and the western media jumped on the bandwagon and irresponsibly implied that there must have been doping without any proof. At the very least they should have stated they hoped drug test results were honest.

Finally after the drug test result came out, Team USA distanced itself from Leonard's comments. You can't deny these are just sour grapes by losers. No one accused Michael Phelps of doping when he won eight golds in a row four years ago. It's a good thing the IOC punishes the most blatant forms of unsportsmanlike behaviour.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #172 on: July 31, 2012, 04:54:54 PM »

The Epee decision from yesterday seems really absurd. I just heard about it now. If you are in the field and you think the time is out, but the clock keeps going it also affects your performance because now there is cognitive dissonance. That makes it more likely your opponent will score a hit.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #173 on: July 31, 2012, 05:00:42 PM »

The IOC should punish itself for accepting dope moneybags from Vladimir Putin.
Andrea
Italy
« Reply #174 on: July 31, 2012, 05:01:46 PM »

Italy is still unable to get a 3rd gold medal... Sad

I am not surprised by Pellegrini failing given her 400m performance, but we surely expected at least 1 medal from fencing today
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 24  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies