London 2012 Olympics Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:20:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  London 2012 Olympics Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 24
Author Topic: London 2012 Olympics Thread  (Read 53002 times)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: August 01, 2012, 03:24:49 PM »
« edited: August 01, 2012, 03:26:27 PM by I'm spinning a Platypus, get out of my way »

Good day for Australia. The dickhead won silver, some good results in qualifiers and team events, and capping off with a relay silver behind a brilliant swim by the US. I always love an Aussie gold, but I'm sooooo glad Magnussen wasn't one of them... I just wish he hadn't lost to a Yank. Can't wait for the rowing tomorrow.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #201 on: August 01, 2012, 03:34:56 PM »

Just watching USA vs China at the Volleyball. Made me realise what this Olympics has been lacking all along, economic metaphors.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #202 on: August 01, 2012, 05:25:54 PM »

Just watching USA vs China at the Volleyball. Made me realise what this Olympics has been lacking all along, economic metaphors.

Did you watch the opening ceremony?
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #203 on: August 01, 2012, 05:53:20 PM »

Technically it is......but badminton, table tennis, shooting, and equestrian and some others don't quite strike as being in the spirit of the so-called Olympic tradition.....I guess it's a matter of taste too.

Badminton, actually, is very physically intense, since the birdie comes back faster than the ball in tennis or squash, but you still have to run around a court unlike in table tennis.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #204 on: August 01, 2012, 06:54:54 PM »

Anyone else agree that Olympic boxing is terrible now?  There are still talented fighters and an odd good fight but the scoring system blows. I remember as a kid being horrified by the Roy Jones Jnr decision but at least it was still compelling and could indicate some future success as a pro.  By trying to improve it they just made it worse.

-Just watching replay of GB vs. Cuba. The Cuban got screwed by the point system.
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #205 on: August 01, 2012, 06:59:34 PM »

Anyone else agree that Olympic boxing is terrible now?  There are still talented fighters and an odd good fight but the scoring system blows. I remember as a kid being horrified by the Roy Jones Jnr decision but at least it was still compelling and could indicate some future success as a pro.  By trying to improve it they just made it worse.

-Just watching replay of GB vs. Cuba. The Cuban got screwed by the point system.
The worst thing is the total lack of knockouts. They need smaller gloves.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #206 on: August 01, 2012, 07:11:53 PM »

Just found this gem out since I havent really been watching the boxing

A Japanese fighter knocked down an Azeri 5 f%^&ing times! According to another source the referee forgot to count at one stage, the Azeri had to be helped from ring after the fight and he won on a decision 10-10.  Unreal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19088420
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #207 on: August 01, 2012, 08:23:01 PM »

If there's one thing I really want the US to win gold in, it's women's beach volleyball... I remember watching Misty May and Kerri Walsh back in 2004 - it'd be great to see them win 3 in a row.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #208 on: August 01, 2012, 10:15:46 PM »

If there's one thing I really want the US to win gold in, it's women's beach volleyball... I remember watching Misty May and Kerri Walsh back in 2004 - it'd be great to see them win 3 in a row.

Did you see them lose their first set?
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #209 on: August 01, 2012, 11:15:49 PM »

That match was fantastic. Megan Hodge in particular is incredible.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #210 on: August 01, 2012, 11:16:20 PM »

Did you see them lose their first set?

No; I came in halfway through the second set on the rerun (I was at work when it happened live).
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #211 on: August 02, 2012, 12:09:01 AM »

Athletics actually has 12 more events, and have hurdles and steeplechase as slow running styles, and anyway I think it adds to the tournament.

If you're going to count the field events, for this comparison, then you ought to add the other FINA sanctioned sports of synchronized swimming, diving, and water polo.

But also, you don't regularly get people competing in large quantities of medal events in athletics.  The two Olympic sports that overdo the medals are swimming and to a lesser extent, gymnastics. There are three swimmers, five gymnasts, and two shooters who have won seven or more medals in a single games.  The shooters wouldn't get that chance today since the shooting program has been trimmed considerably since 1920, tho I wouldn't mind seeing the return of such events as the 100 m running deer. (Shooting at a moving target 100 m from the shooter.  The 50 m event that later replaced it was called the running boar.  No actual deer or boar were used.)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #212 on: August 02, 2012, 12:16:54 AM »

The Summer Olympics are one of these occasions where I'd rather consider myself an Australian than an Austrian ...
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #213 on: August 02, 2012, 01:27:16 AM »

Ernest, it'd be the same as having 4 running styles. 'Freestyle', as now, hurdles, backwards, and with your hands tied behind your back. Being good at one means you'd almost certainly be good at the others, but to be a world beater at more than one style is truly exceptional, and very very few actually do it - Phelps is good enough to have done so, though, and deserves appreciation for it; It's as difficult a task as anything Carl Lewis did.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #214 on: August 02, 2012, 05:49:53 AM »

Canadian coverage is hilarious: GO CANADA, WE WON THIRD PLACE!1111 WE WON!111 WE ROCK!111 Let's cover the medal ceremony now!1111

So, yeah, go France.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #215 on: August 02, 2012, 06:00:19 AM »

Huge upset win for the kiwis in the rowing, spectacular to watch. Second Italy, and the three favourites, Slovenia, Argentina, and Britain, in 3rd, 4th and 5th. Lithuania last. Kiwis thrilled, in a stunning race. In other events, Aussies have made it through in every boat, so things are going well.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #216 on: August 02, 2012, 06:19:21 AM »
« Edited: August 02, 2012, 06:38:13 AM by I'm spinning a Platypus, get out of my way »

Another great race sees the Saffies and Brits move up in the last 300m to take gold and silver, as the Danes and Aussies, who battled it out for the first 1700, come 3rd & 4th.

Four years ago Sth Africa only got one silver at the Olympics, so far this year they have three golds, having an excellent year.

Fast race in the women's 8, US leads all the way to claim gold, Canadians edge a fast-finishing Netherlands for silver, then a big gap to Romania, Britain, and Australia
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #217 on: August 02, 2012, 07:19:10 AM »

Canadian coverage is hilarious: GO CANADA, WE WON THIRD PLACE!1111 WE WON!111 WE ROCK!111 Let's cover the medal ceremony now!1111.

It's like that in the UK too. Tongue
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #218 on: August 02, 2012, 07:37:24 AM »

This dressage rain is unreal. But I still don't know, what the hell is dressage? What are they trying to do?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #219 on: August 02, 2012, 09:43:14 AM »

Athletics actually has 12 more events, and have hurdles and steeplechase as slow running styles, and anyway I think it adds to the tournament.

If you're going to count the field events, for this comparison, then you ought to add the other FINA sanctioned sports of synchronized swimming, diving, and water polo.

But also, you don't regularly get people competing in large quantities of medal events in athletics.  The two Olympic sports that overdo the medals are swimming and to a lesser extent, gymnastics. There are three swimmers, five gymnasts, and two shooters who have won seven or more medals in a single games.  The shooters wouldn't get that chance today since the shooting program has been trimmed considerably since 1920, tho I wouldn't mind seeing the return of such events as the 100 m running deer. (Shooting at a moving target 100 m from the shooter.  The 50 m event that later replaced it was called the running boar.  No actual deer or boar were used.)
I always thought that if shooters and biathletes want medals, they should at least shoot at each other. Last survivor gets the gold, last two men to croak get a posthumous silver and bronze. Grin

Carl Lewis was just about the last man on earth to compete in the Wide Jump as well as the sprinters' distances IIRC?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #220 on: August 02, 2012, 10:02:30 AM »

Just found this gem out since I havent really been watching the boxing

A Japanese fighter knocked down an Azeri 5 f%^&ing times! According to another source the referee forgot to count at one stage, the Azeri had to be helped from ring after the fight and he won on a decision 10-10.  Unreal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19088420
Yeah, they reversed that one on appeal. Still looks quite odd - including the points count for round two.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #221 on: August 02, 2012, 10:29:14 AM »

Jessica Fox wins a silver for Australia in the slalom! She's only 18 in a sport where the medallists are usually in their late 30s or so, so lots to come from her in the future. In the men's double, Britain quinellaed, and women's archery saw a great final for Korea gold, Mexico silver and Bronze.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #222 on: August 02, 2012, 11:51:11 AM »

Make horses dance.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #223 on: August 02, 2012, 12:38:47 PM »
« Edited: August 02, 2012, 12:42:26 PM by I'm spinning a Platypus, get out of my way »

High drama at the velodrome, heartbreaking but correct decisions see the Brits and Dutch knocked out of the medal rides, and China knocked from gold to silver, with incorrect changeovers. China look like they   might refuse the silver, which would pop Ukraine in to Bronze, despite having the 6th best heat time.

Men's team pursuit also looking like it will live up to the buildup as Britain set a World record in their heat, and Australia cruise with three in to second fastest.

Edit: China accept their silver.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #224 on: August 02, 2012, 12:57:04 PM »

The tax dodger wins again, I see.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 24  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length