London 2012 Olympics Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 08:00:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  London 2012 Olympics Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 24
Author Topic: London 2012 Olympics Thread  (Read 52938 times)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: August 06, 2012, 03:33:28 AM »

Fingers crossed for a good day. In the hunt for medals in the men's sprint at the velodrome, men's trap shooting, show jumping, maaaaaaybe women   s pole vault, and particularly the sailing, plus a few still in the hunt on the track.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #351 on: August 06, 2012, 07:55:36 AM »

At the sailing, the commentators for the BBC are also providing the feed in to Australia. First experience of the bbc commentary.

It's disgusting.
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #352 on: August 06, 2012, 07:58:21 AM »

Fk Annalise Murphy came 5th, no medal.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #353 on: August 06, 2012, 08:16:21 AM »

4th, actually, a pom came 5th, and between them they got 90% of the overly emotional, strained-voice commentating. The commentary is just as bad in the men's laser, but the result is looking good... C'mon Tom, go for Gold! ....and if not Gold, Silver!
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #354 on: August 06, 2012, 08:39:31 AM »

Gold!
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #355 on: August 06, 2012, 09:00:05 AM »

4th, actually, a pom came 5th, and between them they got 90% of the overly emotional, strained-voice commentating. The commentary is just as bad in the men's laser, but the result is looking good... C'mon Tom, go for Gold! ....and if not Gold, Silver!
Well 5th in the race, what a bummer though. She better gold in the next games. At least Katie Taylor has secured our second medal.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #356 on: August 06, 2012, 09:12:15 AM »

Randomly flipping through Olympic results... I wonder if this was an error in transmission or I've just found the athlete with the shortest personal name ever.

http://www.london2012.com/athlete/a-lamusi-1074544/
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #357 on: August 06, 2012, 10:08:38 AM »

FOX should be the Olympic affiliate for the US, and CBC should be for Canada. I wonder why this hasn't happened?

$$$$$

More seriously, NBC has chosen to market itself as the network of the Olympics and spend the bucks to do it.  FOX hasn't, nor does it have ready access to enough additional national channels to put comparable Olympics coverage on.  ABC/ESPN/Disney is a possibility.  Imagine an Olympic logo in which the lop left and top right rings morph into Mickey's ears.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #358 on: August 06, 2012, 10:14:32 AM »

Was wondering whether the US did better at the Olympics under Democrat or Republican Presidents, so I decided to work it out. I put in the US medal numbers for all the Games since the war, allocated 3 to a gold, 2 to a silver and 1 to a bronze. 1980 and 1984 got discounted due to the boycotts.

I found that the US got 202.6 "points" on average under Democrats and 192.33 under Republicans. I might update this once the current games have concluded.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #359 on: August 06, 2012, 11:39:19 AM »

Gold no. 2! With one race still to come to confirm it, but an unbeatable lead over the kiwis.

I now love sailing. Especially after the disappointment of Michael Diamond.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #360 on: August 06, 2012, 02:06:48 PM »

Valerie Adams wins 24 shotputs in a row, at the top level, and...gets beaten by a relative unknown Belarussian. Which is sad for the kiwis but excellent for Australia Tongue
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #361 on: August 06, 2012, 02:06:48 PM »

The British TV coverage is getting completely unbearable...

North America is hardly better:

CTV: Full coverage of the token Canadian guy in every race, excitement when a Canadian doesn't place last or next to last. But they do cover other nations, tbh.

NBC: America is the only country competing, so they only cover Americans. Though unlike Canadians, the Americans actually win something.

FOX should be the Olympic affiliate for the US, and CBC should be for Canada. I wonder why this hasn't happened?

CBC had all games, except Barcelona, Lillehammer, Vancouver and London.
It was announced last week than they will have Sotchi and Rio.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #362 on: August 06, 2012, 02:55:12 PM »

Corner kick goal for the tie!
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #363 on: August 06, 2012, 03:04:07 PM »
« Edited: August 06, 2012, 03:08:06 PM by I'm spinning a Platypus, get out of my way »

The administration at the athletics is disgusting. The women's pole vault has been decided by officials in turquoise piped jackets. The number of delays, along with order errors, is insane. Even the greeks got their running sheets right.

Less of an issue, but still disappointing, is this practice of not introducing half the athletes, even in finals.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #364 on: August 06, 2012, 04:07:12 PM »

I must be sleep deprived... I just sent a pointless email to LOCOG. Complaining. I'm turning in to one of those people. Eek.

"To whom it may concern,

I'm loving these games, and a lot of work and care has clearly been shown. Truly, they are shaping up to be unforgettable in the history of the modern Olympics. There are some problems, but one stands above the others.

The administration at the stadium has been appalling. The women's pole vault was determined in equal parts by the weather, the talented athletes, and the bozos in charge of the stadium running order. Many, many delays, often announced to the athletes very shortly before their vaults; apparent vaulting order mixups, and hideously slow decisions. I have rarely seen such poor management at sports at any level, let alone the Olympic final. Congratulations to the medallists, and all the athletes, for surviving the debacle. The practice of not introducing all the athletes for track events, even in finals, is also highly disappointing, but at least it  doesn't actively affect the results.

Overall, the games are going well, but please tidy up the administration of the athletics, it's really not looking good at present.

Sincerely,

Hugh Bartlett
Australia"

THAT'LL TEACH EM.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #365 on: August 06, 2012, 06:21:39 PM »

I hope the text was green.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #366 on: August 06, 2012, 06:58:36 PM »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/aug/06/pass-notes-yorkshire
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #367 on: August 06, 2012, 09:38:55 PM »

US vs. Italy in women's water polo. Who is Phil for?

Water polo is actually a pretty entertaining sport, unlike most that are so popular in the US (like what Americans call football.)

You're American, dude. It's called football because it is football.

Really football is a sport played by kicking around a ball. What Americans call football is a sport that primarily consists of throwing or carrying an object that isn't a ball.

No, football is a game played on foot (as opposed to a game played on horseback).

$$$$$

More seriously, NBC has chosen to market itself as the network of the Olympics and spend the bucks to do it.  FOX hasn't, nor does it have ready access to enough additional national channels to put comparable Olympics coverage on.  ABC/ESPN/Disney is a possibility.  Imagine an Olympic logo in which the lop left and top right rings morph into Mickey's ears.

A FOX Olympics would be impossibly bad. I'll pass on Joe Buck and Tim McCarver doing the Olympics, thanks.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #368 on: August 06, 2012, 11:46:13 PM »

Oh man there's an Italy vs. Netherlands beach volleyball game going on now. I hope Phil is watching, lol. Go Dutch of course.

(Too bad it's men's. I enjoy that significantly less than women's beach volleyball for obvious reasons.)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #369 on: August 07, 2012, 01:12:32 AM »

I love this GIF.

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #370 on: August 07, 2012, 01:24:08 AM »

That entire event was just horrible to watch.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #371 on: August 07, 2012, 01:29:06 AM »

That Stars Earn Stripes show I keep seeing ads for looks f**king disgusting. No surprise it has Todd Palin in it.

I'd rather they advertise Revolution more, that's the only new show I'm seeing ads for that looks likely to be good.
Andrea
Italy
« Reply #372 on: August 07, 2012, 03:52:12 AM »

Valerie Adams wins 24 shotputs in a row, at the top level, and...gets beaten by a relative unknown Belarussian. Which is sad for the kiwis but excellent for Australia Tongue

I believe the Belarussian was the second favourite. She's a former World Champion and Olympic medalist but she often did her best seasonal performances in some Belarus/Russia meetings (like many East Europe athletes...you know, the Russian national championships results are always eye catching but then the majority of them aren't repeated in  any major contest)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #373 on: August 07, 2012, 06:04:03 AM »

The USA/Canada football match last night was hilariously violent. The spirit of Don Revie-era Leeds United lives or something.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #374 on: August 07, 2012, 06:21:25 AM »

I don't get it.

The USA/Canada football match last night was hilariously violent. The spirit of Don Revie-era Leeds United lives or something.

Yeah it was, although I have to admit Alex Morgan, Hope Solo, Kaylyn Kyle, and Jonelle Filigno were pretty much the only reasons anyone watched.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 24  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies