London 2012 Olympics Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:15:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  London 2012 Olympics Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24
Author Topic: London 2012 Olympics Thread  (Read 52807 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: August 09, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »

Jersey girl doing us proud in the soccer final!

At first this is all I read........

(yes, I'm trolling this thread Tongue )
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #451 on: August 09, 2012, 03:33:16 PM »

Rudisha, the best athlete in Olympics.

I still think the decathlon or triathlon is a better judge of an overall athlete. Also real tough to discount Bolt. I just wish Bolt didnt coast at the end of some of his races. Curious to see what his time would have been in that 200m.

Nice job by the ladies in Water polo and soccer. Well done
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #452 on: August 09, 2012, 03:34:14 PM »

Great game ladies!
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #453 on: August 09, 2012, 04:37:03 PM »

I sadly only caught like the last 2 minutes of it, but great job to the US women.

Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #454 on: August 09, 2012, 05:15:13 PM »

80 medalling countries Smiley
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #455 on: August 09, 2012, 05:21:31 PM »

I sadly only caught like the last 2 minutes of it, but great job to the US women.

Sad

Oh well. I'll bask in our bronze. Can't wait for the 2015 World Cup. There will be games in Ottawa Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #456 on: August 09, 2012, 05:27:49 PM »

Flint, taekwondo, the whole connection there. Haha.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #457 on: August 09, 2012, 05:44:12 PM »

USA pulls ahead of Red China on gold medals and total medals. Wonderful.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #458 on: August 09, 2012, 05:59:08 PM »

Smiley!
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #459 on: August 09, 2012, 11:24:56 PM »

And Austria is now left with Luxembourg (population = 500.000) and Malta (population = 400.000) as the only countries in the EU without a medal ... Tongue

Well, I think we better stick to the Winter Olympics ...
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #460 on: August 10, 2012, 12:48:37 AM »

Smiley!

The lead's been switching back and forth for days.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #461 on: August 10, 2012, 01:59:00 AM »

For overall medals it has actually almost come to the point where China is mathematically eliminated from catching up to the US.  In the team events medals China is already eliminated, they only have one boxer left and, no qualifier in several of the wrestling and tae kwon do and track events. China would really have to clean up in racewalking (possible) and the marathon (not likely) for it even to be possible.   
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #462 on: August 10, 2012, 03:25:45 AM »

Good game by the ladies though, very little to no diving.  If only male soccer players were as tough as the women.
I want to restate this.  After watching the ladies gold medal game again tonight, I again noticed that the women just don't dive...or at least MUCH less than the men.  Is there a reason for this?  Are some countries worse than others?  Is there a push to get rid of it?  I know it can be a hard thing to punish as it's a judgement thing, but sometimes it's so freaking obvious....guy goes down like he just had his leg cut off, rolls on the ground for 30 seconds hoping to get a call.....no call comes, the ball goes back to his team and next thing you know he hops up and is sprinting down the field calling for a pass as if nothing ever happened.  It's bad sportsmanship, it's unethical and it hurts the sport.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #463 on: August 10, 2012, 04:16:13 AM »

I think part of it is that the new world in soccer terms has an immense hatred for diving. You're much less likely to see the US, Japanesr, Australian, Canadian, Korean men's teams dive than their opponents, especially the Italians, but also the Brazilians, French, Poles...
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #464 on: August 10, 2012, 04:48:38 AM »

Hmmm...interesting.  It just seems like a huge lack of respect to the other team, the refs, the sport and the fans.

I've gained a lot of respect for the sport over the last decade or so, it's certainly a better game than the American stereotypical preception of it is. (I've reworded that sentence 3 times and its still not looking right, but I think you can understand what I'm saying)  But the diving pisses me off. 

Of course there is bad sportsmanship in every sport and every league.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #465 on: August 10, 2012, 05:48:51 AM »
« Edited: August 10, 2012, 05:51:35 AM by Lief »

The problem with diving is that it's become so all pervasive in the sport that often times if you're rightfully fouled (and there are many players and teams that have perfected the art of small, niggling fouls that are hard to catch but break up the play of the opposition) but you don't go to ground, the referee is not going to take notice and call the foul.

As to why it happens less in the women's sport, the unfortunate answer is probably that women's football is much less developed. Male players play up to 50 or 60 games per year, when you factor in the games for their clubs and the games for their international sides. Women players play significantly fewer games, with a lot less pressure, money, expectations, etc. riding on them. There are club games in Europe that can literally decide whether or not your team is going to earn ten or twenty million euros. In that sort of situation you're going to try and get whatever advantage you possibly can. There's nothing anywhere near comparable in the women's football leagues (the United States doesn't even have a women's football league, last time I checked; I'm pretty sure the majority of the American team basically only plays competitively in internationals).
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #466 on: August 10, 2012, 07:09:03 AM »

OK, guys, today is the only time I'll be a Canadian rah-rah-rah nationalist. Our 4x100 men's relay team is competing in the qualifying round today, and our team includes Segun Makinde, who goes to my university and who graduated from the same high school as I did. I know it's tough when they're in the same heat as Jamaica, but GO CANADA!

Alternative, GO GEE-GEES/GO COUGARS!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #467 on: August 10, 2012, 07:16:36 AM »

OK, guys, today is the only time I'll be a Canadian rah-rah-rah nationalist. Our 4x100 men's relay team is competing in the qualifying round today, and our team includes Segun Makinde, who goes to my university and who graduated from the same high school as I did. I know it's tough when they're in the same heat as Jamaica, but GO CANADA!

It's weird that you have more pride for your university than your country. Especially that university Wink ... but then again I'm surprised you would cheer for Canada at all considering how much you hate this country.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #468 on: August 10, 2012, 07:41:07 AM »

I can't wait until this crap finally ends. I'm so tired of hearing about it.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #469 on: August 10, 2012, 08:58:53 AM »

So you'll get to focus on Rotten Tomatoes instead.

One gold down for Australia, with reasonable hopes of two more today...but very much a case of wait and see.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #470 on: August 10, 2012, 09:09:27 AM »

It's weird that you have more pride for your university than your country. Especially that university Wink ... but then again I'm surprised you would cheer for Canada at all considering how much you hate this country.

I don't hate Canada, though I strongly dislike certain aspects of it (because no country is pefect, and there is no such thing as the 'greatest country'). Though I certainly am no stupid nationalist, and I don't see the point of obsessively cheering for your country. I'd like Canada to win more medals, because I feel a sense of attachment to Canada, but I'm following the Olympics more to see talents rather than for any sense of nationalistic pride.

And, no, I don't feel more pride for my university than for Canada (or any other country). That's just stupid.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #471 on: August 10, 2012, 09:29:36 AM »

Canadian synxh swimming outfits are loco.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #472 on: August 10, 2012, 10:38:13 AM »

Bewks missed the start, caught up to 5th, but clearly devastated. Gold to Colombia, silver for the kiwis, bronze to the Netherlands. Now for the men's....c'mon Sam!
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #473 on: August 10, 2012, 01:11:06 PM »

One of the little extras of having no cutaways from the events is that in contests like the men's pole vault, which would normally get a highly edited cut, you can see everything. All the vaulters are congratulating eachother and smiling, probably the friendliest bunch of top-level competitors around, with three exceptions: the Spaniard, the Czech, and the red-hot favourite Frenchman, appropriately named 'Lavillenie' (sp?).
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #474 on: August 10, 2012, 01:24:04 PM »

Montenegro is fifth new Olympic medalist country (making together 81 medalist countries). Israel had some good athletes in gymnastics too.  Bahama has a good chance to win medal in some relay, but in general additional medalist countries are very unlikely.

By 'medalist', do you mean ever or just in London?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies