Open forum with Hughento (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:59:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Open forum with Hughento (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Open forum with Hughento  (Read 1203 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« on: January 20, 2005, 11:24:04 PM »

They were actually prices for it's lower cost affiliate, Southwest, KEmperor.

Southwest doesn't fly into Denver.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 11:31:41 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2005, 11:38:03 PM by King »

According to their route map, Denver does not fly to any of the western states. To get to Los Angeles from Denver using Southwest, you need to drive to either Albuquerque or Salt Lake City.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 11:38:14 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2005, 11:41:40 PM by King »

The price of a trip from Denver to Albuquerque via train + a non-stop flight from Albuquerque to Los Angeles is $144. $6 less than MagLev and you get there in nearly half the time.

If was a business traveler or vacationer on a budget, I would not go with MagLev.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 11:44:25 PM »

the $150 is a max price cap proposal, and on a different line then the Denver-Albuquerque-Pheonix-San Diego-Los Angeles line. Also, by the time you get to Albuquerque by conventional train, you've already ralmost eached Nevada by MagLev (depending on which type, obviously).

Airlines also over deals for frequent flyers, kids ride free, airports are more secure than train stations, and their maintenance programs can not be beat by some tacky government run program. It is overall a better deal and a safer trip.

The line also cuts out 90% of the D5, meaning some other transportation system would be needed for the majority of travelers.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 11:47:57 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2005, 11:50:44 PM by King »

*psst* Amtrak from Denver to Albuquerque takes about 1:15, so unless MagLev breaks 500MPH, no way it would be in Nevada at that time.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005, 11:55:09 PM »

If we were to introduce a MagLev system for the west (which would be ideal in the future), it would have to be via the Pacific Legislature. I doubt the other 8 Senators would vote to approve spending on a system that doesn't affects their district.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2005, 09:38:22 PM »

I have confirmed it at the Amtrak website-Over 9 and a half hours!

Ok, ok..so I made that up. I still MagLev in the west is more hassle than its worth. The price of building the line through the rough western terrain, securing lines from terrorism and crime, and although it isn't an eyesore, it takes up a lot of land.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies