MCPR/The Porcupine: Mideast Assembly Debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:24:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MCPR/The Porcupine: Mideast Assembly Debate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: MCPR/The Porcupine: Mideast Assembly Debate  (Read 6991 times)
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2012, 09:44:46 PM »

I think he may be coming from the viewpoint that as that child in the womb is a life you can't punish that child for what the rapist did. This is why I support adoption in these kind of cases.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2012, 10:33:46 PM »

I think he may be coming from the viewpoint that as that child in the womb is a life you can't punish that child for what the rapist did. This is why I support adoption in these kind of cases.

But you also can't punish the mother for being raped, that's like double jeopardy.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2012, 11:00:41 PM »

But you also can't punish the mother for being raped, that's like double jeopardy.

Agreed. That's why I advocate adoption. What we need is to find a point of justice for all sides. That's why this issue is so hard to navigate according to some. For me it's simple the rapist is put in jail, the baby lives, and we help the mother through the healing process.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2012, 11:05:01 PM »

Agreed. That's why I advocate adoption. What we need is to find a point of justice for all sides. That's why this issue is so hard to navigate according to some. For me it's simple the rapist is put in jail, the baby lives, and we help the mother through the healing process.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2012, 12:16:59 AM »

Double jeopardy?  That's a bit extreme.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2012, 12:31:02 AM »

Double jeopardy is not the phrase I meant to use, but I think my point was made.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2012, 01:24:20 AM »

Double jeopardy is not the phrase I meant to use, but I think my point was made.

From your point of view, possibly.  But if he has the viewpoint of the unborn child being considered a life, then it's nothing like doubl jeopardy.  You're criticizing his viewpoint based on a disagreement of beginning premises.  His viewpoint is only radical to you because you've started off from a different logical point.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2012, 10:42:47 AM »

New questions:

What do you believe can/should be done to increase activity in our region?

When casting a vote on a bill, would you go of your personal beliefs, or rather the will of your constituents?

What do you personally believe would make you a better Assemblyman than any of your opponents?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2012, 11:50:01 AM »

1. Look at the recent recall and expulsion of MPolitico. Our elected officials in the game must make every effort to be active players. My own recent uptick in activity was inspired by 20RP12 and his short lived presidential run. He's an example of how one should be active in the game. But we also need to remember that RL does take much more presedence to the game. As witnessed by Oakdales departure. As a conservatarian reformist Whig, making a hard line with some grace in case of serious personal situations is the prudent path. For example I'm not going to be seriously active between Christmas and New Years due to my attendance at a religious conference in Kansas City. We need to make proper activity rules a paramount issue.

2. I would take both my beliefs and the sensibilities of the citizens into deliberating a decision regarding any bill. Sometimes my beliefs and conscience will win out and sometimes the overwhelming will of Mideasterners will sway me. Needless to say it will go on a bill by bill basis.

3. Are there individuals I think my better in this game? I do but I'm in this because I believe every voice should have a place to speak out. That's why I'm running. I've learned a lot since my defeat in the senate race recently. The importance of having cross-party support, willingness to work with someone I disagree with on most issues to preserve our freedom and Atlasian way of life, and my advocacy concerning veterans issues. We need to help our fighting men and women to readjust to civilian life by any means possible. We need to look to our faith communities as well as mental health professionals to help ones still dealing with PTSD over seeing unit mates killed. Families hang in the balance. If questioned on the veterans advocacy later I will go into further depth of why this is personal as much as my pro-life and view of the traditional family.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2012, 12:05:28 PM »

When casting a vote on a bill, would you go of your personal beliefs, or rather the will of your constituents?

What do you personally believe would make you a better Assemblyman than any of your opponents?

1. Simply put, we must elect active leaders. If a politician is not active, he should not be re-elected. Simple as that. Control over activity lies within the hands of the electorate, when it comes down to it. Sure, politicians choose whether or not to be active, but the electorate decides whether or not they should re-elect them when they suddenly show up for the campaign.

2. I'm not going to lie and say my personal opinions won't influence my votes, but I will also listen to the voices of my constituents as well as the Mideast Constitution. I will vote in a manner that I believe abides by the Constitution. If that vote coincides with the will of the electorate, then so be it.

3. I am an active leader with a history of bipartisanship throughout Atlasia. I've served as an Assemblyman in the Northeast for several terms, I served as Governor of the Northeast Region (albeit for a few days) I've also served as an At-Large Senator as well as Secretary of Internal Affairs. I've served regionally and nationally and I believe those experiences have broadened my knowledge when it comes to Atlasian politics. It is this experience that makes me a qualified leader for the Mideast and, if elected, I will work diligently to improve the Mideast.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2012, 11:19:44 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
We need to make sure we're electing active leaders.  Bi-monthly Assembly elections are already a good way of accomplishing this.  We also need to allow for room for new members to contribute, while keeping a system that doesn't allow tolerance of inactivity.  And that is why I support the status quo of the current Assembly eleciton system.  It allows for more members during periods of activity while not leaving the Assembly with inactive members during periods of less activity, something that I think is very harmful to the region.

Our government is a republic (for the most part).  If the people wanted me to vote by their will, we might as well change to a pure democracy.  But for the most part, I think my views match up with the will of the people, especially considering my length of time in the Assembly.

I have been in the Assembly for a long time, and I've resided in the Mideast my whole life.  I know our Constitution and statutes inside and out.  I have a record of not voting simply along party lines and I've been dedicated to this region.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2012, 10:55:09 AM »

New questions:

1. I believe we need to encourage more people to become active in politics, especially the civic-minded.  That's why I'm running, and although people can make a difference in many different ways, I hope some of our more engaged citizens will decide to work for their causes and possibly run for office themselves.  And most importantly, we need to encourage more people to vote.  Simply put, my motto is, "it's your life; have a say in it."

2. Very good question.  I believe it is important for all legislators to have a balance of their personal beliefs and those of their constituents when they cast votes on legislation.  If I am elected to the Assembly, I will try to achieve this balance when I cast my votes.  I hope to serve the people as both a delegate and a trustee and promote the good of the people, whether they agree with my solutions or not.

3. I believe I bring something new to the table because I'm a fresh face.  I can represent views that may not have been previously considered and work with the other side when I support their solutions.  You may not always like what I do, but I will try to serve you to the best of my ability and do what is best for you.  I want to give a voice to those who haven't had one in their government yet and represent them without losing site that I represent ALL the people.  I am unashamed to be conservative, but I will put my constituents first and foremost rather than my party or ideology.  Together, we can shape a brighter future for everyone. 
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2012, 11:41:54 AM »

Today, closing statements will be given. Any citizen may now ask questions to the candidates. Smiley
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2012, 11:58:44 AM »

I've got a question for all candidates: The work of the Assembly hinges on pieces of legislation that are introduced by the members of the Assembly; if there are no bills to discuss there is nothing to do and the Assembly becomes a boring place. So, if you are elected to the Assembly, what are your legislative goals? Do you have any issues or even concrete bills in mind that you want to introduce as an elected member of the Assembly?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2012, 12:32:08 PM »

I've got a question for all candidates: The work of the Assembly hinges on pieces of legislation that are introduced by the members of the Assembly; if there are no bills to discuss there is nothing to do and the Assembly becomes a boring place. So, if you are elected to the Assembly, what are your legislative goals? Do you have any issues or even concrete bills in mind that you want to introduce as an elected member of the Assembly?

One of the biggest things I've spoken about since my senate run is the issue of human trafficking. Has the government in Nyman done anything about it? I can't say they have. So we in the regions need to come to the aid of the victims and the punishment for offenders. It should be added to the Mideast sex crimes statue. Also further aid needs to be given to our veterans upon return from the battlefield. In partnership with the federal government we need to give aid in the adjustment process back to civilian life. Look at the stories of suicides and broken families that are everywhere due to PTSD. My brother and his family would've been another statistic unless the faith community and veterans groups had stepped up. Even the formation of a Regional Guard akin to either the Swiss or American model should be formed. All within a framework of fiscal responsibility.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2012, 03:17:57 PM »

This is a great question. In my time in the Northeast Assembly as well as in the Senate, I was fairly notorious for my large contributions of bills to the legislative proceedings. I hope to keep that record if elected to the Mideast Assembly Wink
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2012, 07:43:07 PM »

As a member of the Assembly, I hope to introduce the following pieces of legislation:

1. To reform welfare programs in a way that incentivizes work and education and makes people independent rather than dependent (such as welfare-to-work).
2. An across-the-board tax cut for all individuals and businesses.
3. Privatizing various government programs/agencies and establishing an emergency fund for those programs to allow recipients to keep their benefits in an unforeseen crisis.
4. Limits and reductions in government regulations that maintain basic protections while establishing a more business-friendly climate.

I also hope to do some work on social issues, but for me, economic issues should be the top priority. 
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2012, 02:43:00 PM »

I think we really need to get the budget done.  If this is something our region truly wants, let's get it out of the way first.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2012, 02:48:14 PM »

My question to all candidates is this.

What will you do, if anything to preserve LGBT rights in the Mideast?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2012, 03:03:34 PM »

For the moment, I think our laws are adequate.  To my knowledge, there are no problems with LGBT rights in the region.  If I'm incorrect, or if a new problem comes up, we'll tacle it to make sure that everyone receives fair and equal treatment as we've been doing in the Mideast for years.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2012, 03:15:06 PM »

Excellent and very valuable question.  Though I oppose legalizing gay marriage, I believe that homosexuals should be allowed to have civil unions that provide equal benefits as a heterosexual, married couple.  If the current laws do not reflect this, then I will fight to pass legislation that would make this possible.  I also support allowing homosexuals to serve in the military as long as they aren't required to be open about their sexual preferences, and I support allowing visitation rights for homosexual couples.  Simply put, I believe in giving homosexuals all the rights of heterosexual couples without redefining the religious definition of marriage.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2012, 04:33:24 PM »

Do all the candidates acknowledge that without the budget passing any and all tax cuts/raises and fiscal issues are more or less worthless until there's actual numbers signed into law?

*Note I would not have made this comment/question if we didn't not have a near finished version of a budget and planned to continue running our region without a budget

Therefore...

What changes, if any, would you suggest be made to the current version of the regional budget?
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2012, 05:21:51 PM »

I agree with what Representative Inks stated. I'm a fervent supporter of gay rights and will always vote in favour of gay rights, but I don't see an issue with LGBT rights in the Mideast at the moment.

Do all the candidates acknowledge that without the budget passing any and all tax cuts/raises and fiscal issues are more or less worthless until there's actual numbers signed into law?

What changes, if any, would you suggest be made to the current version of the regional budget?

I acknowledge that to be truth, yes. Very well stated and hard to argue with. On paper, it's easy to say we have a surplus or a deficit until something actually happens.

I think the regional budget looks reasonable for right now, though I would make the following changes:

Reduce transportation spending to around $20 billion a year.

Reduce education spending to around $65 or $66 billion a year.

Cut health spending to around $12 a year.

Eliminate all regional excise taxes and pass legislation leaving it up to the individual states to decide their own excise taxes.

That's about it.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2012, 05:39:29 PM »

*Note I would not have made this comment/question if we didn't not have a near finished version of a budget and planned to continue running our region without a budget

Therefore...

Atlasians regardless of political stripe know my opinion on this. For the new folks and others that don't, I oppose gay marriage, civil unions, and adoptions. I'm ok with partner benefits and anti-bullying campaigns so long as they don't denigrate those with religious views that see their lifestyle choice as one against religious dictate. The Don't Ask Don't Tell law that was unwisely repealed recently was a fair compromise between those who advocated full bans of gays and the Goldwater meme of   "You don't need to be 'straight' to fight and die for your country. You just need to shoot straight."

Yes I agree the most important priority is passing the budget. Even more important is to do so with it being balanced or even the regional government being with a surplus. Any changes on the tax structure? Fewer brackets sound much more fair.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2012, 11:17:16 AM »

Therefore...

Yes, I acknowledge that actual numbers will be necessary.  I will reiterate my support an across-the-board tax reduction for all individuals and businesses to whatever level will make us more competitive with the other regions for businesses.  I also wouldst like to repeat that I support privatizing various programs and establishing an emergency fund for them so that recipients will be able to keep their benefits during a major crisis.  I'm not sure I can give you any concrete numbers at this point, but I will try to reduce spending responsibly if I am elected.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies