MCPR/The Porcupine: Mideast Assembly Debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:08:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MCPR/The Porcupine: Mideast Assembly Debate
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: MCPR/The Porcupine: Mideast Assembly Debate  (Read 6940 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 09, 2012, 11:19:22 AM »

Welcome to the Mideast Assembly debate, hosted jointly by The Porcupine and Mideast Citizens for Progress and Reform.

Our candidates in this weeks debate:
Assemblyman Inks.LWC
Speaker of the Assembly HappyWarrior
Assemblyman RogueBeaver
Former Assemblyman JCL
Former SoIA 20RP12
Oldiesfreak1854
Idaho Bluedog Dem

This debate will last approximately one week. For the first several days, only the moderator will be permitted to ask questions. After that, citizens and candidates may ask questions. There will also be a debate commentary thread established soon.

For now, PLEASE do not post in this thread unless you are a candidate. Thank you!
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 11:36:03 AM »

Candidates, you may give your opening statements, then respond to the three questions below:

- How do you believe education can be improved in the Mideast Region? What steps will you take to reform the education system in the Mideast if elected to the Assembly?

Now, moving on to discuss the 2 amendments currently being debated in the Assembly...

- Recently, it has been discussed to bring back the Lt. Governor position in our region. Would you support this decision? If so, what responsibilities do you want the Lt. Governor to have? If you don't want to bring it back, why?

- Do you agree with the current way we elect Assemblymen, or would you support moving the number of Assemblymen at 5 permanently?

Candidates - you are allowed to respond to other candidates answers. If there are any questions with the format, please contact me via PM.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 12:16:51 PM »

Thank you, Mr. Vice President and thank you to the MCPR for hosting this debate. It's truly wonderful to know that our citizens can be informed about the candidates running for office in this region. I wish my fellow candidates the best of luck and I hope for a fun debate.

- How do you believe education can be improved in the Mideast Region? What steps will you take to reform the education system in the Mideast if elected to the Assembly?

Now, moving on to discuss the 2 amendments currently being debated in the Assembly...

- Recently, it has been discussed to bring back the Lt. Governor position in our region. Would you support this decision? If so, what responsibilities do you want the Lt. Governor to have? If you don't want to bring it back, why?

- Do you agree with the current way we elect Assemblymen, or would you support moving the number of Assemblymen at 5 permanently?

I'll respond to these chronologically.

1. If elected to the Mideast Assembly, I will begin to work to have a more of an individual state or even individual school district approach to education. I believe the Government's involvement in education is a noble cause, but one policy blanketed over a region cannot ensure the highest quality of education for the entire region. I believe only the individual states or, more specifically, the individual school districts. I will, however, work diligently with my fellow Assemblymen to pass the best policy that is more representative of the views of Mideast citizens.

2. I'm very iffy on bringing back the position of Lt. Governor. I would love to have more opportunities for new players to get elected, but if it's a position in which there are no real duties, experience will not be gained from the job.

3. I'm also iffy on this. I believe in elections like the one we're currently having, 5 open positions would give more room for more great players to join. New players like Idaho Blue Dog  Dem and Oldiesfreak might get an opportunity to be elected and that'd be nice. However, not all elections are as competitive as this one, therefore, I'm on the fence.

Thank you.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 03:37:10 PM »
« Edited: July 09, 2012, 03:41:52 PM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

Candidates, you may give your opening statements, then respond to the three questions below:

Candidates - you are allowed to respond to other candidates answers. If there are any questions with the format, please contact me via PM.
Thank you, Vice President tmth, for your introduction, thanky you to Captain Blood for an excellent introduction,  and thank you to all of my supporters at this point for your efforts to help lead us to victory.  I would like to wish all the candidates good luck in both this debate and the election, and if I am elected, I look forward to working with some of you in the Mideast Assembly.
I am running for the Mideast Assembly to spread my message and to hopefully make a difference in people's lives.  From the time I was a small child, my greatest aspiration in life has been to make the world a better place in whatever ways I can.  I hope that, if God is willing, that journey may lead me to the Assembly.  If I am so honored with that privilege, I hope to improve the lives of everyone in the region by working with my fellow legislators to work for the good of the people.
As for your questions, let me give you my response:
In order to improve education, I would support legislation that allows for more consolidation between individual school districts, allowing them to share more services with one another and saving money on education funding in the process.  I also support reforming the public schools by passing greater restrictions for tenure based on teacher performance.  I want to reform the current system rather than scrapping it altogether, and I will support measures that will improve the quality of education without breaking the bank.  While Captain Blood seems to have some good ideas that deserve consideration, I feel that turning education over entirely to the state and local governments would place an unnecessary financial burden on them that could lead to cutting and compromising vital services.  However I feel that many of his goals for education are very admirable.

I support bringing back the Lt. Governor's position and support making it one that presides over the Assembly/Senate and casting tiebreaking votes, as well as succeeding the Governor if he/she is unable to finish or fulfilled his/her duties for the remainder of the term.  This would simplify the legislative and gubernatorial succession processes in the easiest manner available to us.

I support the current system of Assembly elections because it seems to maintain a balance of allowing both well-entrenched and more experienced incumbents to keep their seats while allowing fresh faces like myself to win others.  However, I would be open to electing the Assembly by state (either proportional to their population or equally) while keeping the rest of the system intact.  Thank you for your questions, and I hope for a good, fun, and informative debate.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 04:28:01 PM »

Thank you Porcupine and MCPR for hosting this debate and may we all have a passionate yet civil discussion regarding the issues at hand.

Since losing the Senate race a few weeks ago, I've been mostly been behind the scenes working to build a broken conservative movement back to her golden days when Tmfth was president. Even joining the legal fight to certify now-president Napoleon as the winner even though we have drastic differences. The greater threat was Tweed's attempt at a de jure coup which was soundly put in the ash heap of Atlasian history. If allowed to return I will seek to make government more responsible in fiscal matters while aiding veterans, at risk kids and alternative ideas on education.

Sadly the tax credit to homeschooling and private school families wasn't enacted into law. That was a big mistake made by the Polnut administration (present company excused). We all know education is best handled by regional and local governments. Adding needless red tape from Nyman is causing our kids to fall behind their foreign contempararies. While there may be merit behind what is called the "Finland System" it gives too much control to the federal government. What we need are ways to hold teachers and districts  accountable for student performance. Tenure should be ended and merit should be how evaluations are based. Kids shouldn't be stuck in failing schools due to burdensome regulations. The left needs to know that you shouldn't go to war with homeschooling families regarding finances. Why can't there be an opt out of the taxes for use of the public schools when these familes don't use them?

I do think that bringing back the role of Lt. Governor is a good idea. What I would do though is have the governor and Lt. run on the same ticket to promote health competition amongst the parties of the Mideast.

As for the number of assemblymen, it should've always stayed at five. While I understand why Gov. ZuWo had the idea he did it has a double edged sword to it. While it seemed like a good idea it could've hurt activity in the long run.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 05:12:59 PM »

If I may ask a question to both Oldiesfreak and Idaho Blue Dog Dem:

You both are newcomers to Atlasia. Neither of you have ever held public office. What qualifies you to be elected to the Assembly and what sets you above the other candidates in any respect?
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 06:22:25 PM »

If I may ask a question to both Oldiesfreak and Idaho Blue Dog Dem:

You both are newcomers to Atlasia. Neither of you have ever held public office. What qualifies you to be elected to the Assembly and what sets you above the other candidates in any respect?
I feel that I am qualified to be elected because I want to make a difference in other people's lives and am very much a politically- and civic-minded individual.  I will not always go along with my party when I disagree with them, and I hope to work with both sides to find solutions to the problems we face today.  If you're going to be in politics and work your way up in elected office, you've got to start somewhere, whether it's on your local school board or city council, your county Board of Commissioners, or any other office.  Simply put, if you never run for office, you can never get elected.  I also feel that it is important to have some new faces to balance out the older, more experienced ones and to encourage more debate between competing ideologies and opinions.  Power, after all, should not be concentrated in the hands of a few, or else tyranny may start to take hold.  We need a good balance of newcomers and longtime statesmen to make government the most effective for the people.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 09:15:12 AM »

I will be on tonight to give a detailed response to the questions, at the moment I am about to go up to DC for work.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 11:28:24 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

More control needs to be given to the individual school districts.  The regional government should act as a helping hand to districs who are struggling.  We should let districts figure out what works for them, while at the same time, providing help and resources to accomplish this.  This being said, some districts may not perform as well as they should, and the regional government needs to be prepared to step in where necessary, but only in areas where it is necessary.  Unnecessary meddling in the school system leads to stopping successful school districts from performing as well as they could.

At this time, I oppose it because the Speaker of the Assembly fills all of the necessary duties that a Lt. Governor would have.  Without increased activity for a PROLONGED period of time, I don't see why we should add more positions.

I wholeheartedly support the current system.  In times where we have high activity (like this election), we will have 5 Assemblymen.  I see no reason to deviate from the current set-up.  It allows for more openings when there is high activity without the negative repercussions of having empty seats (or seats filled by people who have to be convinced to fill the seat just so that it's not empty) during periods of low activity.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 03:50:03 PM »

Due to poor turnout on day one, I won't ask questions today, but will be asking 5-6 tomorrow to make up for it.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 05:37:34 PM »

Due to poor turnout on day one, I won't ask questions today, but will be asking 5-6 tomorrow to make up for it.

I'm okay with this.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 10:42:19 PM »

To the other candidates, what is your plan for improving the economic situation in the Mideast? Tax reform, Right to Work legislation, energy?
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 10:18:30 AM »

To the other candidates, what is your plan for improving the economic situation in the Mideast? Tax reform, Right to Work legislation, energy?

I believe we do need tax reform. In my time in the Senate, I proposed a bill that would reduce taxes across the board and another bill that would drastically cut federal spending. Neither of those bills passed, but I still stood up for fiscal conservatism while in the Senate.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 10:45:01 AM »

New day, new questions...

First, I would encourage all candidates to respond to JCL's questions, including he himself.

- How important will bipartisanship be to you if elected? What record, if any, do you have of bipartisanship in Atlasia?

- A controversial issue that has always been brought up multiple times in the region is the issue of abortion. What is your position on the issue, and, if elected, will you do anything to change the current law?

- The recent GM report shows that for the first time in 2012, unemployment has risen in the Mideast region. What efforts will you take in the Assembly to reduce our regions unemployment?

- Our region has spent years trying to pass a budget. If you're able to work on it in the Assembly next session, how important will it be to you to balance the budget?
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 12:16:14 PM »

- How important will bipartisanship be to you if elected? What record, if any, do you have of bipartisanship in Atlasia?

- A controversial issue that has always been brought up multiple times in the region is the issue of abortion. What is your position on the issue, and, if elected, will you do anything to change the current law?

- The recent GM report shows that for the first time in 2012, unemployment has risen in the Mideast region. What efforts will you take in the Assembly to reduce our regions unemployment?

- Our region has spent years trying to pass a budget. If you're able to work on it in the Assembly next session, how important will it be to you to balance the budget?

I'll respond to these chronologically again.

1. I believe that I have one of the best records of bipartisanship of any politician in Atlasia. I have constantly made bipartisanship a cornerstone of many of my political campaigns and have worked in the Senate and in the Northeast with people of all political persuasions. I've worked with people like Napoleon and Scott, but I have also worked with people like TJ in Cleve and Clarence. I personally believe bipartisanship is crucial to find success.

2. I personally would rather not legislate on abortion, as I believe it is not the regional Government's business to be involved. I don't believe that our tax dollars should be funding abortions, but I personally believe that abortion should remain legal. I believe it is a horrible practice, but I would really prefer not to legislate on it. Judge Franzl made his ruling that the ban on abortion is constitutional and I will not attempt to legislate against the court's ruling.

3. As I've said before, we must be more fiscally responsible as a region. I believe that we should cut taxes on businesses in order to make way for those businesses to hire more workers. As I said in response to JCL's question, I authored two bills in the Senate that promote tax cuts and fiscally conservative Government. I have a record of fiscal conservatism in my time in office.

4. Passing a budget is crucial, but passing a balanced budget is even more crucial. I'm a fervent supporter of cutting wasteful spending. I will work with all of my colleagues and we will produce a budget that best represents the interests and desires of the citizens of the Mideast.

Thank you.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 02:50:50 PM »

New day, new questions...

First, I would encourage all candidates to respond to JCL's questions, including he himself.

Since I kind of missed the first days questions with work responsibilities I'll simply answer these.

1) I think everyone is well aware of my long history as an individual who in Atlasia does not allow partisanship to get in the way of doing what is best, which is highlighted most of all by the fact that most of my time here I have not even been a member of an established party.

2)In terms of abortion I think I am pretty much in line with our region in the sense that I support in in cases of danger to the life of the mother, rape and incest but very little outside of that, I am perfectly content with the current regional statute in that regard.

3)As an individual who is a self-identified economic liberal on the other hand when it comes to unemployment I personally very much in favor of things like infrastructure  work programs which not only provide jobs but improve the state of our region to boot.

4) In regards to the budget I think we need to focus on developing a budgetary framework before we figure out how we're going to balance our budget.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 12:18:19 AM »

I've been in the Assembly for a long time.  Through most of that the RPP was in control (if not unanimously), but I have never voted on a bill because of who introduced it or what party they are from.  I vote for bills solely on my thoughts for the bill.  I choose a party because I feel myself and my votes match with that party the best; I don't vote how I think my party would want me to.

Ideally, I would support a law without the rape/incest clause; however, I realize that that does not fit with the will of the people of this region, nor most of my colleagues, therefore, I am content with the law as is.

If we can successfully pass a budget, we can find wasteful areas in the budget and give tax cuts to businesses and individuals to help our economy.  We can also use some of this money to set up systems that provide education and training to those looking for a job.

It's something I have wanted to see passed.  Unfortunately, between Governors, Speakers, Assemblymen, and the GM, we've never been able to get everything lined up.  If we have support from the Governor and GM, I think we can have it accomplished by the end of the session.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 12:20:31 AM »

I misread that last question.  Before we focus on balancing the budget, let's get a budget.  We have to see how unbalanced we are before we start trying to balance it, and that may be something that will take a couple sessions to fix if the deficit is too large.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2012, 08:44:09 AM »

1. I support tax reform to improve the economy by cutting taxes for all income levels and for all businesses.  While some people may argue that we may need to raise taxes on the rich in order to promote fairness, it comes at such a severe economic price that it is not worth it simply to promote one group's perceptions of what is "fair".  Although I believe unions have a place, I support right to work legislation but still will support legislation that improves the lives of workers in the region, union or otherwise.  As for energy, I believe we need to invest in alternative energy sources, but until we have enough access to those sources, we should continue to use what we have now.  Once alternative energy becomes available on a wider scale, the region should begin to diversify its energy sources.
2. Although I do not believe in compromising my own values, bipartisanship is very important to me in many ways because although I am a conservative, I do not always toe the conservative line on every issue.  I hope to work with both sides to create effective solutions to the problems facing the people of the Mideast without compromising my conservative values and positions.
3. I oppose abortion except to save the life of the mother.  If I am elected, I will work hard to pass any pro-life legislation that the Assembly takes up, with the ultimate goal of ending abortion altogether.  However, I support other steps to help prevent unwanted pregnancies, such as encouraging and increasing access to birth control and adpotion.  
4. I will fight for across the board tax cuts for individuals and businesses in order to spur economic growth.  While some regulation is necessary in a free-market system, I will support reducing government regulations in ways that minimize the risks of doing so.  I will also support welfare reform by amending social programs to encourage and reward work and higher education.  
5. I will make sure that our region attempts to balance its budget responsibly.  This will entail some of the proposals I have just discussed, but I also support taking some entitlement programs out of government control while establishing an emergency fund for them to ensure that their recipients will still be able to receive their benefits in an unforeseen crisis, such as an economic downturn.  Before we make any concrete plans to balance our budget, we need to take a look at what we are spending our money on and figure out how we can cut spending while minimizing the negative effects that might result from them.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2012, 12:18:39 PM »

3. I oppose abortion except to save the life of the mother.  If I am elected, I will work hard to pass any pro-life legislation that the Assembly takes up, with the ultimate goal of ending abortion altogether.  However, I support other steps to help prevent unwanted pregnancies, such as encouraging and increasing access to birth control and adpotion.  

You don't support abortion in cases of rape or incest?
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2012, 03:53:57 PM »

No, but I do have reasons for that.  Allowing abortion in cases of rape suggests that men can sexually abuse women without consequences, which to me is one of the greatest exploitations of women.  Since incest is ether voluntary or involuntary (rape), it inevitably falls into one of those two categories (voluntary sex or rape.)
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2012, 04:50:31 PM »

No, but I do have reasons for that.  Allowing abortion in cases of rape suggests that men can sexually abuse women without consequences, which to me is one of the greatest exploitations of women.  Since incest is ether voluntary or involuntary (rape), it inevitably falls into one of those two categories (voluntary sex or rape.)

So you think women should have to pay the price for being exploited if they're raped? And usually cases of incest are rape or something along the lines of the female being involved is not old enough to consent, therefore it is also rape. With all due respect, your position seems to say that women should have to either be raped and deal with the resulting pregnancy or try not to get raped. That's a very radical position.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2012, 05:27:58 PM »

1. I'd advocate at least a business flat tax of 3%. My long term goal is having the Mideast doing well to the point of scrapping a regional income tax and replacing with a 8% sales tax. As I have said before, unions are a good thing when they stick to their original purpose of advocating for safety in the workplace and fair hours. When they get in bed with the political structure and regulate non-union labor out of "shops" is when they go wrong. So yes Right to Work legislation would be a prudent step to balance the intrests of all involved. On energy we need to utilize everything the region has access to. But the government should not show bias in favor of one form of energy over another. Isn't that what it's doing when it subisidizes "green" energy over conventional sources. I know we don't like it but we will have to find a reasonable compromise to the energy question. Oldiesfreak makes a good point on taking a long term approach to alternative energy.

2. Though I am an avowed conservative, working in coalitions is vital to get anything of vital importance done in any assembly. Needless to say I will look at each bill on its own merits and go from there.

3. I'm pro-life and want to see the end of abortion. The current law is a just progression to that aim. Now with former governor Alfweich poised to become the Attourney General we must be ready to defend the legality of this law which Regional Justice Franzi upheld.

4. A balenced budget amendment is a commendable task that should be done as soon as possible. To get this done we need an amendment to the regional Constuition. Also reducing spending and wise reduction of regulations is a wise path to take. A business friendly climate is one the region should work for.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2012, 08:55:55 PM »

So you think women should have to pay the price for being exploited if they're raped? And usually cases of incest are rape or something along the lines of the female being involved is not old enough to consent, therefore it is also rape. With all due respect, your position seems to say that women should have to either be raped and deal with the resulting pregnancy or try not to get raped. That's a very radical position.
That's not what I mean.  I feel that allowing abortion in cases of rape is an exploitation of women (along with rape itself) because it suggests that men can sexually abuse women without consequence.  I realize that rape is illegal, but still, as someone who sympathizes with feminism and equal rights for women, I think that it encourages a sexist view of women and their sexuality.
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2012, 09:33:38 PM »

That's not what I mean.  I feel that allowing abortion in cases of rape is an exploitation of women (along with rape itself) because it suggests that men can sexually abuse women without consequence.  I realize that rape is illegal, but still, as someone who sympathizes with feminism and equal rights for women, I think that it encourages a sexist view of women and their sexuality.

Again, with all due respect, that's a very odd way to approach the issue. To say you sympathize with women's rights and then say you oppose abortion in the case of rape because the man's getting away with consequence is very...uncouth.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies