Ark. Dems Blocking Seating of Wolfe Delegates Due to Affirmative Action Quotas
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:25:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Ark. Dems Blocking Seating of Wolfe Delegates Due to Affirmative Action Quotas
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Ark. Dems Blocking Seating of Wolfe Delegates Due to Affirmative Action Quotas  (Read 3349 times)
WhyteRain
Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -2.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 09, 2012, 03:46:49 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
[/quote]

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/ark-dems-blocking-seating-wolfe-delegates-due-affirmative-action-quotas_648298.html

What I want to know is:  Do other state parties have these quotas, too, and, if so, where can I find a list of them?
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 03:59:27 PM »

That quota system is mindblowing.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 04:00:57 PM »

Really?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 04:03:29 PM »

Never been a fan of quotas.

I wasn't aware that Arkansas requires the campaigns to provide their delegation plan.  I just assumed that those were selected by the state convention.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 04:18:41 PM »

Quotas (or at least affirmative action at a level that basically amounts to quotas) are imposed by the DNC, and apply to all states, though I think the individual states have leeway in terms of how they're implemented.  This has been the case since the 1970s:

http://edition.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/1996/conventions/chicago/facts/rules/index.shtml

WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 04:27:24 PM »
« Edited: July 09, 2012, 04:34:35 PM by WhyteRain »

Quotas (or at least affirmative action at a level that basically amounts to quotas) are imposed by the DNC, and apply to all states, though I think the individual states have leeway in terms of how they're implemented.  This has been the case since the 1970s:

http://edition.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/1996/conventions/chicago/facts/rules/index.shtml

I just added up the quotas:  If you don't belong to one of the preferred groups -- that is, if you are white, English-speaking, satisfactorily functioning heterosexual, without a sex-change operation, middle-aged, non-veteran -- in other words, probably a majority of Arkansas voters -- YOUR quota is ...

6.4%

And that's for both men AND women.  The only quota I see for women is the "lesbian" one that's rolled in among the other sexual ... exotics.

So, has anyone found where we can learn about the quotas of OTHER state parties -- Democratic, Republican or otherwise?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 04:59:18 PM »

You can't just add up the quotas like that and subtract from 100 because many people fit multiple categories.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 05:04:47 PM »
« Edited: July 09, 2012, 05:08:55 PM by Mr. Morden »

So, has anyone found where we can learn about the quotas of OTHER state parties -- Democratic, Republican or otherwise?

Like I said, every state has similar quotas for DNC delegates.  The passage I quoted from that CNN article was talking about all states, not just Arkansas.  But the individual states have leeway in terms of how it's enforced.  AFAIK, the RNC has no similar quotas.

EDIT: Here's a WSJ story on one guy's ambition to be a DNC delegate from Washington state for example:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121158203883518495.html

Nichlemn

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 05:08:19 PM »

lol, even if you're a fan of affirmative action in general, you've got to admit those quotas are absurdly specific.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 05:14:35 PM »

You can't just add up the quotas like that and subtract from 100 because many people fit multiple categories.

Actually you can do just that and you get a very important piece of information:  

The quota for the unpreferred people -- 6.4%.  That is, assuming two key things -- first that there is no "overlap" -- there are no black Spanish-speaking lesbians in wheelchairs because they were wounded in Vietnam -- and second that the quotas for all the preferred groups are MAXIMUMS and not MINIMUMS.  If there is a lot of overlap, the then number will go above 6.4%.  On the other hand, if some of the quotas for the preferred groups are exceeded, then the number of unpreferreds will be less than 6.4%

Any way, do you know where we can find the diversity quotas for other state parties?  

And I'm not here to pick on the Democrats.  I'm also interested in the GOP, the Greens, the Libertarians or any other parties that have these quotas.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 05:38:45 PM »

DNC rules allow candidates to switch out their delegates at-will, for the record. I'm 95% certain this was just the easiest pretext the AR Democratic leadership could find to attempt to force a unanimously Obama delegation and that this requirement could be at least partially waived or loosened if they wanted to.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 05:42:44 PM »

DNC rules allow candidates to switch out their delegates at-will, for the record. I'm 95% certain this was just the easiest pretext the AR Democratic leadership could find to attempt to force a unanimously Obama delegation and that this requirement could be at least partially waived or loosened if they wanted to.

Hmmm ... it seems like the Democratic Party is becoming less democratic all the time, doesn't it?
Sasquatch

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -8.52

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 06:19:38 PM »

Hmmm ... it seems like the Democratic Party is becoming less democratic all the time, doesn't it?
This reminds me of when Democrats were filing lawsuits keeping Ralph Nader off numerous state ballots back in 2004.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 06:28:15 PM »

I don't even see why the AR Dems feel the need to go through the trouble.  Who cares if a few delegates vote Wolfe's way?  Obama already has the nomination locked up by a substantial margin in the delegate count.
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 06:45:57 PM »

This is really messed up.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2012, 07:04:39 PM »

Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2012, 07:34:04 PM »

To be honest though; the Republicans will probably do something similar if the Paulites try and pull a fast one at the convention.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 07:41:04 PM »

I think it's just party politics as usual, I don't think either party would refrain from pulling these little procedural moves to keep from assigning delegates to a minor candidate.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 08:44:56 PM »

I don't even see why the AR Dems feel the need to go through the trouble.  Who cares if a few delegates vote Wolfe's way?  Obama already has the nomination locked up by a substantial margin in the delegate count.

They want the symbolism of a unanimous vote by the delegates in Charlotte.  It always looks bad when the incumbent President doesn't get that.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2012, 08:49:53 PM »
« Edited: July 10, 2012, 12:00:59 AM by Senator Scott »

I don't even see why the AR Dems feel the need to go through the trouble.  Who cares if a few delegates vote Wolfe's way?  Obama already has the nomination locked up by a substantial margin in the delegate count.

They want the symbolism of a unanimous vote by the delegates in Charlotte.  It always looks bad when the incumbent President doesn't get that.

I guess that makes sense, but I just don't see how that would really impact much come the election.  If anything, all of this delegate nonsense from both parties is just going to polarize them even further.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2012, 08:51:21 PM »

ROFL at both the practice and theory.
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2012, 11:00:41 PM »

The only thing that matters of the end of the day is winning.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2012, 08:25:05 AM »

I thought that was the Republican mantra.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2012, 10:29:40 AM »

Charlie Sheen for President!
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2012, 08:43:07 PM »
« Edited: July 11, 2012, 09:50:34 PM by WhyteRain »

I found the Diversity Quotas for the Texas Democratic Party:

They add up to 107.5% of the delegates!

http://www.txdemocrats.org/2012/TX_Delegate_Selection_Plan_(Revised).pdf

The quotas for racial exclusion groups alone are 66.0% (and there can't be any "overlap" there), so if you're white the 34.0% left for you is overwhelmed by the other ... categories.  You better be "LGBT" (7.1%), "Disabled" (12.7%), or "Youth" (21.7%) or you can forget it!

This would never be believed if it was a skit on Saturday Night Live -- LOL!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies