Shapefiles and Data Tables - Int'l
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:19:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Shapefiles and Data Tables - Int'l
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Shapefiles and Data Tables - Int'l  (Read 1267 times)
CalgaryManifesto
Rookie

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 09, 2012, 07:41:38 PM »

I thought I'd post this, and see if anyone was interested. I know the owner of this site has built numerous data tables for US elections, and I was hoping to do something similar for the international data, basically a common site with all types of geographic and electoral data open for public use.

I have the shapefiles and data for most of the Canadian elections, but thought I'd see if anyone knows of other international data that might be available. If anyone is interested in GIS, and wanting to do their own mapping, a single post might be a great data source.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 08:58:05 PM »

I would be willing to work with you on something. I'm not that technologically inclined however, which is why my maps are all made in MS Paint Smiley.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 11:11:24 PM »

I also did a couple of Canadian and provincial maps here (and a few than Hatman reused after).
Not being well versed in techlology, I only take the GIS data to create a map, which I screenshot and color with Paint, which isn't very techno, I admit it.

There is more than a couple of mapmakers here, I'm sure they could be quite interested.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 11:25:42 PM »

Likewise, I would love to help, but I don't know anything about GIS, and don't have the software on my computer. As with the others, I just use Paint to create the boundary maps and then use the eye dropper and spill paint tools to shade them.

I think federally and in some states in Australia, the GIS information is available for electoral boundaries as downloadable files.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 03:23:13 AM »

Sounds good Smiley

My own area of concern is Scottish politics. I’m working on a site profiling all Westminter/Holyrood elections since 1918 and all local elections since 1974. I’m happy to share the maps.
CalgaryManifesto
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 01:01:45 AM »

Alright, good to know there is interest. I'm hoping to start putting resources together on the UK, Australia, and Russia. I know the files exist for those ones.

I'd recommend QGIS if you are looking to dip your toes into this type of stuff. It is great for running the statistics behind the maps.
Serenity Now
tomm_86
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 08:35:30 AM »

I have a shapefile of post-2010 Parliamentary Constituencies for Great Britain, I believe with results from the 2010 General Election added as attributes. PM me your email address if you'd like me to dig this up and send it to you.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies